selecting HQ vs. satellite offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

selecting HQ vs. satellite offices

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:17 am

Hey yall

I'm curious how firms perceive their own offices. If one has an obvious HQ, like NYC or LA or Chi-town, then how do you determine if the office is a less important satellite or not? I define satellite as: less important, easier to get into, less likely to transfer out, less important work. I'm guessing salary would be the biggest clue. I don't mind working in a smaller market, just don't want to be perceived (or trained) as a second-rate lawyer.

mrloblaw

Re: selecting HQ vs. satellite offices

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:21 am

Be careful judging based on salary, since it tends to be tied to the market rate. I know some firms have satellite offices that are easier to get jobs with than the home office, but that pay considerably more (Vinson Elkins comes to mind, although someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Edit: Of course, I'm not saying that a NY satellite of a TX firm is necessarily a worse place to work by any means.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:33 am

Depends entirely on the firm. Many "satellites" (1) are actually more selective; (2) still work on headline matters; and (3) pay 160 in cheaper CoL markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:35 pm

This is really going to depend on the office. Some satellites are harder to get hired by. That said, I feel like everyone looks at non-NY lawyers as second rate to NY.

Salary is a good benchmark (i.e., they pay the same in all their offices), especially if they are paying more than "market."

Return to “Legal Employment”