Expensive pre-callback dinner

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lieut Kaffee

Re: Expensive pre-callback dinner

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:25 am

Sup Kid wrote:If the restaurant is in the hotel, just subtract the drink and submit it, no note necessary. If they limit you to $40, then they'll only reimburse $40 of it, and that'll be that.

However, do tell what appetizer + entree + tax/tip = ~$90. Even a steak + a seafood appetizer would normally only be around $75 at an upscale restaurant. Was this place a Michelin-star rated one?

This. I don't quite understand how the bill got so high with one entree, one app, and one drink. But I assume OP is not making it up. What interests me more is the decision-making process.

"Shit, this place is way more expensive than I thought. There's no way it will be within budget. Should I leave? Nah, I'LL ORDER THE MOST EXPENSIVE SHIT ON THE MENU :twisted: "

meshtdagn

Postby meshtdagn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:31 am

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:If the restaurant is in the hotel, just subtract the drink and submit it, no note necessary. If they limit you to $40, then they'll only reimburse $40 of it, and that'll be that.

However, do tell what appetizer + entree + tax/tip = ~$90. Even a steak + a seafood appetizer would normally only be around $75 at an upscale restaurant. Was this place a Michelin-star rated one?

This. I don't quite understand how the bill got so high with one entree, one app, and one drink. But I assume OP is not making it up. What interests me more is the decision-making process.

"Shit, this place is way more expensive than I thought. There's no way it will be within budget. Should I leave? Nah, I'LL ORDER THE MOST EXPENSIVE SHIT ON THE MENU :twisted: "

OP isn't on a callback, OP is on a FOOD RAMPAGE!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:33 am

Lieut Kaffee wrote:

Haha I assure you I didn't order the most expensive stuff on the menu. They came and asked me my drink order first and I got a beer that ended up being 10 bucks for some reason. Then they brought me the menu. I saw that it was expensive. Apps were between 20 and 30, entrees were all 45+. But it also sounded delicious. I wasn't thinking about NALP guidelines, I was thinking about what sounded good. It was only after I ate and paid the bill that I started wondering about reimbursement. I guess I shouldn't have gotten an appetizer but it was awesome so I don't really have any regrets.

It is a Michelin star restaurant. But I've been to other Michelin star restaurants in this city and they weren't this pricey.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:34 am

Wow and I felt bad about paying for internet at the hotel. I'm flabbergasted at the arrogance of OP

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:34 am

meshtdagn wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:

OP isn't on a callback, OP is on a FOOD RAMPAGE!

Seriously. I managed to sneak a peak at one CB receipt, and iirc it was high 300s for me and three people from the firm. That struck me as a lot, so I bragged to my brother and parents about how baller firm interviews are. OP topped that average schmoozing by himself, lol.

transferguy

Postby transferguy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:39 am

Honestly, this makes you look pretty idiotic to the extent that I wouldn't even submit the receipt. I would just eat the bill and think of it as a $40 insurance plan so that they don't just ding you for being this absurd.

EDIT: Actually, just wait to submit bill until you get offered/dinged. But still, man, wtf?
Last edited by transferguy on Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Apps were between 20 and 30, entrees were all 45+. But it also sounded delicious.

Hahahah. Whoareyouidonteven. FOOD RAMPAGE. :twisted:

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:41 am

fathergoose wrote:Wow and I felt bad about paying for internet at the hotel. I'm flabbergasted at the arrogance of OP

I don't think there's any arrogance here: Op wanted a nice meal, he got a nice meal, he's trying to figure out the best way to get reimbursed as much as he can without seeming crazy to the firm and he has said he's willing to pay for the meal.

I think submitting the receipt with a note saying he wanted to try a great restaurant but doesn't expect to be reimbursed for more than the NALP budget is just fine.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:

Haha I assure you I didn't order the most expensive stuff on the menu. They came and asked me my drink order first and I got a beer that ended up being 10 bucks for some reason. Then they brought me the menu. I saw that it was expensive. Apps were between 20 and 30, entrees were all 45+. But it also sounded delicious. I wasn't thinking about NALP guidelines, I was thinking about what sounded good. It was only after I ate and paid the bill that I started wondering about reimbursement. I guess I shouldn't have gotten an appetizer but it was awesome so I don't really have any regrets.

It is a Michelin star restaurant. But I've been to other Michelin star restaurants in this city and they weren't this pricey.

I'm going to guess L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon at the Four Seasons or Adour Alain Ducasse at The St. Regis in Midtown. If I'm right, there's no way to eat at the "hotel restaurant" and spend less than $70, so again, just submit the receipt and see what they're willing to give you. Regardless, you had a great meal, and $50 either way doesn't mean much in the long run.

Edit: This has been one of the more entertaining threads in a while. More crazy callback stories are appreciated...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:50 am

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:

I'm going to guess L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon at the Four Seasons or Adour Alain Ducasse at The St. Regis in Midtown. If I'm right, there's no way to eat at the "hotel restaurant" and spend less than $70, so again, just submit the receipt and see what they're willing to give you. Regardless, you had a great meal, and $50 either way doesn't mean much in the long run.

Thanks for your help. You are in the right ball park with the restaurant. The meal was fantastic. I'll let everybody know in a few months how much I get reimbursed for.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:52 am

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:

Edit: This has been one of the more entertaining threads in a while. More crazy callback stories are appreciated...

OP can't help it. He had a lunch meeting with Cliff Huxtable at the Four Seasons.

lawfirmrecruiter

Postby lawfirmrecruiter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:Isn't the NALP dinner budget 40-50? You spent nearly $100, pre-booze, by yourself?

Budget said 30-40, I spent 100 including a drink and tip. Should I make a note like, you only have to reimburse me for 40? Or should I just put the whole thing?

Pretty sure the NALP thing says no booze. When I got booze I did a little "-$6 = $36" on the receipt. But holy shit if I were that firm I'd ding you for sure.

OK I'll definitely minus the booze then.

I was under the impression that reimbursements were handled by administrative people with no hiring power. Would I really get dinged for eating a dinner with an appetizer at a nice restaurant? But really I'm not concerned about getting dinged, more concerned about not getting reimbursed.

Don't assume administrative people have no hiring power. All of these expenses come out of a very detailed budget and we are accountable for the amounts spent which is why there are limits. If all callbacks had $100 dinners, we would blow a budget pretty quickly just on meals. While one dinner over a limit most likely won't turn into a ding, remember that all of your actions are making a full picture. If a candidate is labeled "difficult" to deal with, that is taken into consideration. Even if that opinion comes from an administrative person.

If you are concerned about it, itemize your receipts on a coversheet and list the meal with the limited price. On the receipt itself, just circle full amount and write adjusted price to the side. It will show that you know you went over but are eating the cost without being overly obvious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:49 am

One of my CBs told me to eat breakfast at a specific place. I went there and a single egg was like $14.00 and a cup of coffee was $7.00. Most expensive breakfast, around $50.00, I have ever had and felt bad about spending so much on breakfast; however, once they rejected me I didn't mind anymore.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:53 am

Back when I was interviewing, I ate at Per Se for all my callbacks and the firms reimbursed me to the NALP limit every single time. It was no big deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:54 am

My entire submission to one firm was $4.15 for a bag of chips and a soda in the airport.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:My entire submission to one firm was $4.15 for a bag of chips and a soda in the airport.

I stayed at a hotel across the street from a firm in my home area to avoid traffic that morning, and didn't even tell them.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:00 pm

ProTip: "administrative people" at a law firm can make or break your career if you're not an obvious superstar via your own merits. My advice would be to call and express concern that you have your paper work in order and ask to talk to someone who can give you advice. Get and admin on the line and be super nice. IME, this is the best way to get paid back when you go over budget.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Does one night stay at a hotel "without incidentals" include meals? I didn't think it did so I shouldered the room service pizza dinner myself. Should I have expensed it? Way too late now, but I'm just curious.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does one night stay at a hotel "without incidentals" include meals? I didn't think it did so I shouldered the room service pizza dinner myself. Should I have expensed it? Way too late now, but I'm just curious.

IME, if it's your dinner, it's your dinner and as long as you're underbudget, it's fine.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:Isn't the NALP dinner budget 40-50? You spent nearly $100, pre-booze, by yourself?

Budget said 30-40, I spent 100 including a drink and tip. Should I make a note like, you only have to reimburse me for 40? Or should I just put the whole thing?

Pretty sure the NALP thing says no booze. When I got booze I did a little "-$6 = $36" on the receipt. But holy shit if I were that firm I'd ding you for sure.

Asking for alcohol on a separate bill = tcr

+1 hahaha

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:44 pm

paratactical wrote:ProTip: "administrative people" at a law firm can make or break your career if you're not an obvious superstar via your own merits. My advice would be to call and express concern that you have your paper work in order and ask to talk to someone who can give you advice. Get and admin on the line and be super nice. IME, this is the best way to get paid back when you go over budget.

+1. And as far as being nice goes, be nice to EVERYONE (i.e. paralegals, legal secretaries, receptionists). If you think they are beneath you and you can be a dick to them you (a) are a douchecanoe and (b) will not last very long at the firm or any job for that matter.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:04 pm

Sorry to hijack, but what is a reasonable meal expense (e.g. dinner)? Sorry, search function didn't help. Is $40 nationwide or is it based on city, etc.? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:26 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
paratactical wrote:ProTip: "administrative people" at a law firm can make or break your career if you're not an obvious superstar via your own merits. My advice would be to call and express concern that you have your paper work in order and ask to talk to someone who can give you advice. Get and admin on the line and be super nice. IME, this is the best way to get paid back when you go over budget.

+1. And as far as being nice goes, be nice to EVERYONE (i.e. paralegals, legal secretaries, receptionists). If you think they are beneath you and you can be a dick to them you (a) are a douchecanoe and (b) will not last very long at the firm or any job for that matter.

I didn't mean to disparage people that do expense reports or anything like that. Sorry if it came off that way. I had just read in another thread that the people who process reimbursement forms are totally disconnected from the process of hiring.

Anyway, I submitted the receipt with a note saying that I wasn't asking for total reimbursement. Thanks for everybody's help.

TheFriendlyBarber

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My entire submission to one firm was $4.15 for a bag of chips and a soda in the airport.

This is far worse than the OP's indiscretion. Sure, the OP is a glutton and a fiend, but you're a cheap, pompous bastard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:53 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:

This is far worse than the OP's indiscretion. Sure, the OP is a glutton and a fiend, but you're a cheap, pompous bastard.

Have people in this thread never eaten at a fancy restaurant? All I got was one appetizer and one entree. The portions weren't even that big. I may be dumb for wanting to get reimbursed for the whole thing, but it's not like I pigged out on the firm's dime or something.

Return to “Legal Employment”