Why you should completely ignore Vault rankings

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Re: Why you should completely ignore Vault rankings

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Schulte Roth has prestigious hedge firm clients, but it's still a TTT at the end of the day...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:09 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:For litigation, the problem is that Vault "undervalues" some non-national, boutique-ish firms which are wonderful to work for. Munger Tolles and Irell & Manella, to take two examples, are both small, highly respected west coast firms which many students pick over V10 firms. And Vault doesn't even rank tiny rockstar firms like Howard Rice, Keker & Van Nest, Susman Godfrey, Bartlit Beck, etc.

Kind of weird "Howard Rice" trolling.

That aside, Vault is ranking national prestige. To that extent, the exclusion and underrating of the above firms is logical.

Howard Rice is definitely a rockstar firm, at least in the Bay area. I know of more than one person who has gone HR instead of Susman/Keker/Munger. Almost all fed clerks, too.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:24 pm

ITT, OP had to settle for NLJ250.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:27 pm

Howard Rice is a tremendously good firm, and is probably as good as it gets in a couple of niche practice areas (attorney malpractice, IP appellate, etc.) People are wonderful and brilliant too. I did not get an offer after my CB with them, but was singularly impressed with the people I met there and I would have accepted an offer on the spot had I received one.

Return to “Legal Employment”