clerkship vacation question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

clerkship vacation question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:50 pm

If you are clerking for two years - for two different judges - is the only vacation you get any time between your first clerkship and your second clerkship? do judges give you definitive start dates or are they negotiable?

traydeuce

Re: clerkship vacation question

Postby traydeuce » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Clerks get vacations.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you are clerking for two years - for two different judges - is the only vacation you get any time between your first clerkship and your second clerkship? do judges give you definitive start dates or are they negotiable?

What you might end up doing is taking all of your vacation time for the first year during the summer before you start your second clerkship.

But it might roll over to the second year if you don't use it. But doing so kind of screws your second judge because you have to use your vacation, and the judge probably can't hire someone while you are technically working there but on vacation (i.e., if you use a month of vacation at the end of the clerkship, you are technically still the judge's law clerk for a month, so I doubt the judge will be able to have his/her next clerk start before your vacation ends).

But I wasn't in that position, so take the comment with a grain of salt.

edit: as far as start dates, depends on the judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:28 pm

traydeuce wrote:Clerks get vacations.

oh - i thought judges really prefer clerks to not take vacation during the term

Return to “Legal Employment”