Thoughts on Jones Day? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thoughts on Jones Day?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Hey guys. Wanted to get your thoughts on Jones Day, e.g. financial status, any major departures, work life balance, the black box of compensation. I know there are smaller threads on CBs, but no solid info on firm culture and health. Thanks and good luck.

Anonymous User

Re: Thoughts on Jones Day?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys. Wanted to get your thoughts on Jones Day, e.g. financial status, any major departures, work life balance, the black box of compensation. I know there are smaller threads on CBs, but no solid info on firm culture and health. Thanks and good luck.
Financial status is sterling. One of the few firms where profits are actually growing (i.e., not just positive - increasing ITE).

Work/life balance, according to vault: Jones Days, Nights, Weekends, and Holidays

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys. Wanted to get your thoughts on Jones Day, e.g. financial status, any major departures, work life balance, the black box of compensation. I know there are smaller threads on CBs, but no solid info on firm culture and health. Thanks and good luck.
Financial status is sterling. One of the few firms where profits are actually growing (i.e., not just positive - increasing ITE).

Work/life balance, according to vault: Jones Days, Nights, Weekends, and Holidays
i don't know about work-life balance, but in terms of finances, they are much better off than a lot of other big firms. not only are their profits improving, as the above poster noted, but during the recession, their partners took a cut in their PPP so that they wouldn't have to do the same mass layoffs that firms like latham did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:16 pm

OP Here. First version of this reply disappeared.

Anyway, I know it's long hours because it's Big Law, but I wanted to make sure that we're not talking the kind of hours at W&C, Covington, A&P, Gibson. (No offer yet, but interested in DC market.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Anyway, I know it's long hours because it's Big Law, but I wanted to make sure that we're not talking the kind of hours at W&C, Covington, A&P, Gibson. (No offer yet, but interested in DC market.)
My impression from working there this summer is that it has a good work-life balance compared to other big law firms; 2000 hours is an actual target for associates and there isn't really pressure to bill more than that or to have face time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My impression from working there this summer is that it has a good work-life balance compared to other big law firms; 2000 hours is an actual target for associates and there isn't really pressure to bill more than that or to have face time.
Is 2000 really a "target" or a requirement? For those who had a hard time meeting that threshold, were they in danger of getting laid off?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:16 pm

Bump...

Any more info? What do people think of this firm relative to its Vault peers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:44 pm

And what do people think of its peers for work in the corporate sector (especially in NYC?)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”