Investment Management

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
joeblo21

Investment Management

Postby joeblo21 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:16 pm

I got plugged with an investment management partner for my interview even though I didn't list it as a preference. Problem is, I have no idea what type of law that is or what the practice entails. Anyone have a quick rundown so I can pass it off like I know what I'm talkign about?

imchuckbass58

Re: Investment Management

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:21 pm

It's essentially advising hedge funds and/or private equity firms.

Notably, it's NOT advising them on transactions. Rather it's advising them on (1) fund formation - contracts with LPs (investors), constituent documents, tax advice, etc., (2) regulatory issues, and (3) internal legal matters since most of them don't have a GC. (1) is the vast majority of the work.

joeblo21

Postby joeblo21 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:29 pm

What, if anything, can I say is interesting about the area/the work? I'd like to say that I'm interested in developing policies which help investment managers meet their corporate obligations, but not sure if that is correct. Does it have a large corporate governance aspect to it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:17 pm

joeblo21 wrote:What, if anything, can I say is interesting about the area/the work? I'd like to say that I'm interested in developing policies which help investment managers meet their corporate obligations, but not sure if that is correct. Does it have a large corporate governance aspect to it?

No. Say you are especially interested in developing and adapting fund formation strategies to meet the specific needs of the firm's clients. Investment Management is also heavily regulated by the SEC and the DOL (by way of ERISA), as such it provides an opportunity to engage in more regulatory work than typical general corp. (Compliance with ERISA, Advisers Act, 40 Act, etc.)

http://www.daypitney.com/practices/Priv ... ent-Funds/

Return to “Legal Employment”