Wass-up with the LA Legal Market

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wass-up with the LA Legal Market

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:00 pm

For raising 2Ls applying to firms in Los Angeles, how have you done?

I have found it very difficult. Two weeks after OCI, I have no CBs and I am a native Angelino from a top 5 school. Slightly below median, job experience, but no CB.

I have been mass-mailing and nothing at all.

Any advice?

Anonymous User

Re: Wass-up with the LA Legal Market

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:10 pm

Top 1/3-1/4 at HLS, SoCal native, 3 CBs from 16 screeners, 2/3 offers. I'm happy with the offers I got but I got dinged from a lot of firms where I expected to be very competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:16 pm

T5, slightly above median, no strong ties to LA. Of the 3 markets I've applied to, LA has shown me the most love. In fact, I've got stronger ties to both other markets and I haven't had much luck in either.

Go figure. :?:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:59 pm

LA legal market is challenging to say the least. Have 10 CBs at big LA firms but almost all have 1-6 SA positions. I go to a T20 but I see many people flying in for CBs from t14. I can't compete. Been nothing but post CB dings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:46 pm

T6, above median, decent ties, previous WE. 5 LA cb, one offer one ding so far. Screener dngs at a lot of firms I thought were a shoe-in. Mixed results on top-end firms. Strange cycle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:56 pm

I spoke to a partner at an LA firm, who told me that LA is probably the most challenging for entry level position (ie. summer associate). For the love of god what are they looking for?

I feel like in this town it's WHO you know!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I spoke to a partner at an LA firm, who told me that LA is probably the most challenging for entry level position (ie. summer associate). For the love of god what are they looking for?

Have no idea what they're looking for. I thought my CBs went well but it's been nothing but dings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Similar boat. Los Angeles native, UG in Northern California, tech background, approximately top 1/3 at YHS. 10 OCIs, only 2 CBs (but fortunately, offers from both). Extremely grateful for the firms I have, but still, wazzup?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:LA legal market is challenging to say the least. Have 10 CBs at big LA firms but almost all have 1-6 SA positions. I go to a T20 but I see many people flying in for CBs from t14. I can't compete. Been nothing but post CB dings.

My experience as well - top 20% T20 - focusing on LA/OC/SF. While I am attending school in LA, I don't have strong ties to the market. I've been questioned a lot about my commitment to the area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LA legal market is challenging to say the least. Have 10 CBs at big LA firms but almost all have 1-6 SA positions. I go to a T20 but I see many people flying in for CBs from t14. I can't compete. Been nothing but post CB dings.

My experience as well - top 20% T20 - focusing on LA/OC/SF. While I am attending school in LA, I don't have strong ties to the market. I've been questioned a lot about my commitment to the area.

Very similar stats to you but only going for the LA market. Lots of CBs but nothing. Have you gotten any offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I spoke to a partner at an LA firm, who told me that LA is probably the most challenging for entry level position (ie. summer associate). For the love of god what are they looking for?

From my experience, it seems like GPA can make or break you in LA more so than in other places. I was extremely worried about getting into the LA legal market because I don't have any convincing ties to the area. Stats are top 5% (approx) + LR at a non-CA t10, weak ties to CA, decent interviewer. 15 screeners, 13 CB, didn't do as well with NY screeners (bid as a safety, didn't take CB's there).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Very similar stats to you but only going for the LA market. Lots of CBs but nothing. Have you gotten any offers?

Nope. Only received 3 LA/OC CBs and have 2 dings so far. Not looking good.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope. Only received 3 LA/OC CBs and have 2 dings so far. Not looking good.

Don't worry I'm in the same boat. Already received 2 post CB dings and waiting for a few more. I already know those firms gave out offers so I'll expect my letter in the mail. I noticed everyone coming to these LA callbacks were from the east coast. I guess everyone just wants LA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:55 pm

I thought LA was an easy market - until OCI!!

Anyone looking into O.C.? Is that any easier for folks? Or desirable?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Orange County generally has smaller summer classes and not as many BigLaw firms. So that makes things tough.

Desirable? Yes, you can drive to work in 10-20 minutes while living in a bigger apartment/house with less pollution, safer neighborhoods, and great atmosphere. For someone who wants to settled down or might already be married, like myself, OC was a much better option than LA. If I wanted a downtown or urban environment, I would choose Chicago, SF, and NYC over LA.

Return to “Legal Employment”