Final OCI results: 2011 Version

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:46 pm

School: MVP
Market(s): Southeast
Approximate class rank: Top 1/3
Law review: No, on secondary journal
Work experience: came straight from UG
IP background: none
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): nooooo. Career services told me I was a good interviewer.
Screening Interviews: ~25
Mass mails: tons
Callbacks received: 8
Callbacks accepted: 8
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 paying market (non-vault; "secondary" city)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? IDK
Thank-you notes sent: some

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:34 pm

School: T25
Market(s): NYC, Chi, SF, (broadened to some secondaries late in the game but it was too late to matter)
Approximate class rank: Top 5%
Law review: Yes
Work experience: No, I went straight from undergrad.
IP background: No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): I had a unique 1L summer experience, but apparently it did not impact as much as I had hoped.
Screening Interviews: 3 from OCI (our OCI is not very good unless you want to stay in the home market), 3 from mass mailing
Mass mails: A ton
Callbacks received: 4 (2 in NY, 1 in Chi, and 1 in a secondary market)(All outside of OCI)
Callbacks accepted: 4
Offers w/vault ranges: None
Rejections: Everyone so far
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? Quite a few...
Thank-you notes sent: I sent one to each interviewer and the recruiting coordinator

Certainly the TLS wisdom is that my interviewing is bad or I am socially awkward, but I can assure you that neither of those is the case. I have spoken to career services extensively. I believe my lack of success was a function of targeting the elite markets and the elite firms and then by the time I broadened my search it was too late. I wanted to post because I know that there's a reporting bias on this site and to let others know just how bad the market is.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:School: T25
Market(s): NYC, Chi, SF, (broadened to some secondaries late in the game but it was too late to matter)
Approximate class rank: Top 5%
Law review: Yes
Work experience: No, I went straight from undergrad.
IP background: No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): I had a unique 1L summer experience, but apparently it did not impact as much as I had hoped.
Screening Interviews: 3 from OCI (our OCI is not very good unless you want to stay in the home market), 3 from mass mailing
Mass mails: A ton
Callbacks received: 4 (2 in NY, 1 in Chi, and 1 in a secondary market)(All outside of OCI)
Callbacks accepted: 4
Offers w/vault ranges: None
Rejections: Everyone so far
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? Quite a few...
Thank-you notes sent: I sent one to each interviewer and the recruiting coordinator

Certainly the TLS wisdom is that my interviewing is bad or I am socially awkward, but I can assure you that neither of those is the case. I have spoken to career services extensively. I believe my lack of success was a function of targeting the elite markets and the elite firms and then by the time I broadened my search it was too late. I wanted to post because I know that there's a reporting bias on this site and to let others know just how bad the market is.


I'm honestly not that surprised by those results if you were from a school like UMN or IUB, which are generally just disastrous places to be if you want to break into the bigger markets.

Reprisal
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Reprisal » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:37 am

School: T3 to T20 transfer
Market(s): STL, DC, SF, Chi
Approximate class rank: Top 10% at former school
Law review: Wrote on to a Secondary Journal
Work experience: Graduate degree with very solid internships
IP background: No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): U.C., Berkeley MPP, 1L summer split between a State Court of Appeals and the Federal CFTC, prior experience in DC and SF
Screening Interviews: 6 from OCI (4 Biglaw), 1 from direct mailing
Mass mails: 40-50 fuck I lost count it could be as high as 75
Callbacks received: 2 from OCI, 1 from direct mailing, 2 responses to direct mailing that indicated that they were so flabbergasted to have received an application that they didn't even know how to proceed (plaintiff class action firms, I guess not many people find them)
Callbacks accepted: 2, 1 from direct mailing
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 offer from energy boutique, 1 offer from plaintiff class action (fuck corporate defense and all who heel the boot of capital)
Rejections: 1
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? I guess the 2 who said they'd get back to me in the Spring
Thank-you notes sent: I sent an email to the one firm I super cared about but I don't think it really mattered.



OCI and the job hunt was a fucking nightmare. So glad this is over.

Biglaw hated my guts. In retrospect, I p much hated them too. V250 interviewers hammered me on MPP, transfer status, and my T3 grades. They didn't give a shit about the merit of my grad degree, my work experience, law journal, or my dashing good looks.

Plaintiff firms liked my MPP, didn't care about transfer status (a few partners were transfers), thought my grades were fine, and were much more concerned with my ability to pass the Airport Test and my vision for my future.

Anonymous User wrote:Having one offer can really be a golden ticket. I noticed the same phenomenon when I told firms I had a CB in a secondary. One firm's endorsement can help a lot.


This. I got one offer sooner than the other and leveraged the shit out of it. Word to the future 2Ls reading the thread.
Last edited by Reprisal on Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Grizz » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:39 am

Above poaster, which did you go with?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:14 am

School: T25
Market(s): Every City with population higher than 500k.
Approximate class rank: Slightly above medium
Law review: Wrote on to a Secondary Journal
Work experience: 2 years work experience
IP background: No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): URM
Screening Interviews: About 70 (OCI + Job fairs + cold resumes)
Callbacks: 10 callbacks, 2 v100, 4NLJ 250, 3 Midsize, 1 Small firm.
Rejected: from 2 callbacks
Offers: 1 v100, withdrew from other 7 callbacks before hearing back.

Reprisal
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:51 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Reprisal » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:15 am

Grizz wrote:Above poaster, which did you go with?


Plaintiff class action firm in CA. They do securities, shareholder derivative, and antitrust suits with a little consumer stuff thrown in every blue moon. boosh


Anonymous User wrote:School: T25
Screening Interviews: About 70 (OCI + Job fairs + cold resumes)


holy shit man, you ever get tired and just go twisty mode on an interviewer? I cannot imagine doing that 70 times.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:School: T25
Screening Interviews: About 70 (OCI + Job fairs + cold resumes)


holy shit man, you ever get tired and just go twisty mode on an interviewer? I cannot imagine doing that 70 times.[/quote]

I was super tired, but hey, it would have been worst to have to worry about not having a job for god knows how long. It worked out at the end, i had beat the odds.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby dailygrind » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 am

Fucking well done, man. That is some serious hustle. Congratufuckinglations.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:14 am

School*: T1
Market(s): Houston, Dallas, Austin
Approximate class rank: top 20%
Law review: Journal
Work experience: 9 years, 5 years executive level at a financial services company
IP background: None
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Strong UG Finance major, 1L SA gig at a midlaw firm, judicial internship, research assistant
Screening Interviews: 25
Mass mails: 50
Callbacks received: 9, only one from the mailers
Callbacks accepted: 5
Offers: 3 very decent midlaw, 2 general practice, 1 products liability
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? More than a dozen of the mailers.
Thank-you notes sent: yes, physical notes mailed to all CB interviewers

I'm splitting the summer with the PL gig and one of the GPs. I'm really happy about both the firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:42 pm

School*: Georgetown
Market(s): NYC/DC/DE (but I ended up screening with firms in 19 states)
Approximate class rank: ~50%
Law review: Secondary
Work experience: CPA, short-term
IP background: No
Anything else that might have an impact?: JD/LLM, so this was my second time through OCI and I could interview for both SA and 3L positions.
Screening Interviews: 72
Mass mails: ~2,000
Callbacks received: 18 (11 firms, 3 fed, 3 clerkships, 1 other)
Callbacks accepted: 18
Offers w/vault ranges: 1; summer fed honors (PMF still pending)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: 6/73; 1/18
Thank-you notes sent: Emailed about 3/4 of the time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:36 am

School: UCI
Market(s): OC, LA, SF, NY
Approximate class rank: ~15-20%
Law review: Y
Work experience: Y
IP background: N
Anything else that might have an impact?: N
Screening Interviews: ~15
Mass mails: ~100
Callbacks received: 5
Callbacks accepted: 5
Offers w/vault ranges: 1V40, 2 V50, 1 V100
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: A few of the mass mails
Thank-you notes sent: Y to everyone, including recruiting

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby IAFG » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:School: UCI
Market(s): OC, LA, SF, NY
Approximate class rank: ~15-20%
Law review: Y
Work experience: Y
IP background: N
Anything else that might have an impact?: N
Screening Interviews: ~15
Mass mails: ~100
Callbacks received: 5
Callbacks accepted: 5
Offers w/vault ranges: 1V40, 2 V50, 1 V100
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: A few of the mass mails
Thank-you notes sent: Y to everyone, including recruiting

Do you think your experience was representative of Irvine? I bet there are a lot of 0Ls who would like to hear more about how OCIs have been there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:47 am

School: T3
Market(s): LA
Approximate class rank: 10%
Law review: Y
Work experience: Y (4 yrs. pre-law paralegal)
IP background: N
Anything else that might have an impact?: Bad interviewing skills (not terrible though)
Screening Interviews: 7
Mass mails: ~50-60
Callbacks received: 1
Callbacks accepted: 1
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 Mid-law (professional negligence defense)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: a LOT
Thank-you notes sent: Y to everyone, bond paper via US-mail same day.. guess no one cared.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:59 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School: UCI
Market(s): OC, LA, SF, NY
Approximate class rank: ~15-20%
Law review: Y
Work experience: Y
IP background: N
Anything else that might have an impact?: N
Screening Interviews: ~15
Mass mails: ~100
Callbacks received: 5
Callbacks accepted: 5
Offers w/vault ranges: 1V40, 2 V50, 1 V100
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: A few of the mass mails
Thank-you notes sent: Y to everyone, including recruiting

Do you think your experience was representative of Irvine? I bet there are a lot of 0Ls who would like to hear more about how OCIs have been there.


My biggest worry coming into Irvine was job prospects. The numbers for the class of 2012 weren't released until I had already begun my studies here, but they were very comforting-- around 45% of the kids who participated in OCI landed firm jobs. For my class, the official numbers have yet to be released, but anecdotally it seems that kids who were in the top quarter were fine, but things got increasingly dicey after that. That is, of course, a generalization based on limited information, and there were several exceptions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:04 am

School: UCI
Market(s): OC, LA, SF/SV, DC
Approximate class rank: no idea since UCI doesn't rank and I don't talk about grades; I would guess anywhere from ~20-40%
Law review: N
Work experience: Y
IP background: N
Anything else that might have an impact?: our school is really small so I can't share details; but I was able to mitigate not being on law review based on some awards and an unusually strong past employment history
Screening Interviews: 6
Mass mails: ~20
Callbacks received: 3
Callbacks accepted: 2
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V100, 1 government
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: 2 resume collects from OCI, about half the mass mails, and 1 callback never got back to me even after I told them I had an outstanding offer.
Thank-you notes sent: Y to everyone I came into contact with - I am religious about thank you notes

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby NYC Law » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:15 am

Well damn. T20ish job prospects and full scholarships for all.... Starting to wish I applied to UCI. Looks like the gamble paid off for those who went.

xcountryjunkie
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby xcountryjunkie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:22 am

NYC Law wrote:Well damn. T20ish job prospects and full scholarships for all.... Starting to wish I applied to UCI. Looks like the gamble paid off for those who went.


I wouldn't be so sure. The sample in this thread is heavily skewed towards those who did well. People with an SA are much more likely to post.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby dailygrind » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:24 am

NYC Law wrote:Well damn. T20ish job prospects and full scholarships for all.... Starting to wish I applied to UCI. Looks like the gamble paid off for those who went.


That's a scarily low number of screening interviews though, especially after mass mailing.

c3pO4
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:01 pm

in a world where 70% of UCLA and USC grads struggle to get biglaw, you do not wish you went to UCI.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby NYC Law » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Still, for a free and unaccredited school - Not bad.

xcountryjunkie
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby xcountryjunkie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:57 pm

NYC Law wrote:Still, for a free and unaccredited school - Not bad.


Not free anymore.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273406
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:47 am

xcountryjunkie wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Still, for a free and unaccredited school - Not bad.


Not free anymore.


Nor unaccredited.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby NYC Law » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:56 am

Point is that it was at the time the people took the gamble. (though the accreditation part wasn't much of a gamble since it's a UC school, still, the employment part was).

And all things considered, it was a good bet.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby dood » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:59 am

can someone just make a google form and corresponding auto-filling spreadsheet for all the info in this thread?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.