Final OCI results: 2011 Version Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dedede

New

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Post by dedede » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats, first of all.

Second, can you give any examples of these questions? I have my last CB (and last potential hope, probably) on Friday and need any help I can get.
Can I PM you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: V
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Top 25%
Law review: Secondary crap journal
Work experience: No
IP background: No
Anything else that might have an impact (diversity, etc. or whatever, really)?: Apparently I'm a really good interviewer
Interviewing skills/strategy: Be normal
Screening interviews: 19
Mass mails: 0
Callbacks received: 12
Callbacks accepted: 4
Offers w/vault ranges: 3 (v5, 2 v15)
Dings: 0
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? pulled out of a v5 before hearing back after accepting
Thank-you notes sent: none
Anon here. Got an offer from the v5 today. They messed up their records and didn't have me as a withdrawal on their database.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anything else that might have an impact (diversity, etc. or whatever, really)?: Apparently I'm a really good interviewer
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? pulled out of a v5 before hearing back after accepting
Anon here. Got an offer from the v5 today. They messed up their records and didn't have me as a withdrawal on their database.

Really? Was it necessary to tell us this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:44 pm

School: V
Market(s): Nyc
Law review: Secondary
Work experience: An abnormally high amount during undergrad but went straight through.
Anything else that might have an impact (diversity, etc. or whatever, really)?: I'm pretty shy and quiet and people usually pick up on this very quickly.
Interviewing skills/strategy: I suck at interviewing so basically my strategy was just to say non-awkward things, keep the conversation going, and ask thoughtful but not too detail-specific questions.
Screening interviews: 22
Mass mails: 5-10
Callbacks received: 6
Callbacks accepted: 6
Offers w/vault ranges: 3 (1 v5, 1 v10, 1 v40)
Dings: 2 (1 v20, 1 v100)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? v30 didn't get back to me after CB. I haven't heard from most of the massmails.
Thank-you notes sent: exactly 1, to an interviewer post-callback, more to follow up on something than to give thanks.

Contrast my CB numbers with the other top 25% V anon above and you see how much of a difference interviewing skills make. However, I knew this would be an issue coming into law school so to end up with a v5 offer is unbelievably amazing and unexpected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:52 pm

School: T50 (UA/BYU/ASU)
Market(s): Phoenix
Approximate class rank: Top 10%
Law review: Flagship
Work experience: 0
IP background: 0
Anything else that might have an impact?: AZ native returning. It matters here.
Screening Interviews: 27
Mass mails: 35 mailed/emailed, 5 screeners received.
Callbacks received: 7
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V100, 1 local NALP, 1 local non-NALP, 2 shitlaw. 1 post CB ding from top local firm.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: 5 or so.
Thank-you notes sent: Always. There is no downside if you avoid typos.

Notes:

To 0L's wanting Phoenix: there are very few decent jobs here. Much fewer than you think. You are looking at 30-40 decent spots total. There might be another 50 shitlaw jobs in addition to that. Top candidates from local schools have a huge advantage at most places. UA/BYU/ASU are the best schools for Phoenix but you have to be at the very top of the class. Unlike most markets, being in the top 5% at a local school is WAY better than being in the top 10%- law firms get to be pickier here. If you want Phoenix you need to have really good ties and go to T14+Vandy+Iowa+Texas+USC+UCLA, or go to UA/BYU/ASU and be at the top of your class. It can be harder to get a job here than NYC.

If you want Phoenix and are not going to T14+Vandy+Iowa+Texas+USC+UCLA, then the school's rank doesn't matter. UA/ASU/BYU will be better for Phoenix than something like Notre Dame, UNC, BC, etc. These regional modifiers to the rankings are well known, but it is particularly true for Phoenix.

To 1L's at local schools: practice interviewing a LOT. It is the 2nd most important thing after grades. Screening interviewers will see 20 people and offer 1-3 callbacks here, which is super low callback rate compared to other markets. CB/offer ratios in Phoenix are also lower than other markets. You are running up against bad odds. The only thing that can turn the tide is being a good interviewer, sounding conversational, and being interesting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: T50 (UA/BYU/ASU)
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V100, 1 local NALP, 1 local non-NALP, 2 shitlaw. 1 post CB ding from top local firm.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: 5 or so.

Notes:

To 0L's wanting Phoenix: there are very few decent jobs here. Much fewer than you think. You are looking at 30-40 decent spots total. There might be another 50 shitlaw jobs in addition to that. Top candidates from local schools have a huge advantage at most places. UA/BYU/ASU are the best schools for Phoenix but you have to be at the very top of the class. Unlike most markets, being in the top 5% at a local school is WAY better than being in the top 10%- law firms get to be pickier here. If you want Phoenix you need to have really good ties and go to T14+Vandy+Iowa+Texas+USC+UCLA, or go to UA/BYU/ASU and be at the top of your class. It can be harder to get a job here than NYC.

If you want Phoenix and are not going to T14+Vandy+Iowa+Texas+USC+UCLA, then the school's rank doesn't matter. UA/ASU/BYU will be better for Phoenix than something like Notre Dame, UNC, BC, etc. These regional modifiers to the rankings are well known, but it is particularly true for Phoenix.

To 1L's at local schools: practice interviewing a LOT. It is the 2nd most important thing after grades. Screening interviewers will see 20 people and offer 1-3 callbacks here, which is super low callback rate compared to other markets. CB/offer ratios in Phoenix are also lower than other markets. You are running up against bad odds. The only thing that can turn the tide is being a good interviewer, sounding conversational, and being interesting.
Congrats on cleaning up! I agree with all of this although think you are off on comparison to NYC. I think NYC is substantially easier than PHX.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Congrats on cleaning up! I agree with all of this although think you are off on comparison to NYC. I think NYC is substantially easier than PHX.

I might have worded it poorly, but I stated it can be harder to get a job in Phoenix than in NYC. I think we agree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I might have worded it poorly, but I stated it can be harder to get a job in Phoenix than in NYC. I think we agree.
Haha fair. High-five!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:23 pm

School: CCN
Market(s): Chicago/Secondary
Approximate class rank: Top 20%
Work experience: N/A
Anything else that might have an impact (diversity, etc. or whatever, really)?: No
Interviewing skills/strategy: I found it difficult to sell myself without sounding corny. Probably not the best interviewer.
Screening interviews: 26
Mass mails: 2
Callbacks accepted: 6 (cancelled my "highest ranked" one because it was in a market I didn't see myself long-term)
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 -- somewhere in the V100 but I honestly don't know where.
Dings: 0 (got a CB/offer from my #1 firm going into OCI then did most of the other CBs but immediately withdrew after I found that I preferred the other firm)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? I haven't heard from many of the big Chicago firms. I am likely being held or soft rejected. Is there much of a difference?
Thank-you notes sent: 3 different employers and then decided I hated doing them, so I stopped. I can't tell if it made a difference because I never let the non-thank you letter folk give me a response as I withdrew.

My OCI experience probably looks bad, but I ended up where I wanted to go before the OCI process so I can't complain. I probably blame my interviewing skills as I am a pretty quiet, laid-back fella. However, it could've been a number of factors. Chicago was a pretty ridiculous market (did interview w/ a few NYC firms and my screener/CB ratio was much better there)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

u mad bro? i think u mad.

This thread is about your OCI results. Updating your results seems quite legit to me. Feel free to apologize for your outburst.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:56 am

Doritos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

u mad bro? i think u mad.

This thread is about your OCI results. Updating your results seems quite legit to me. Feel free to apologize for your outburst.
u mad that he mad, bro? i think u mad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:34 am

School: NU
Market(s): Chi and MN
Approximate class rank: Top 40%
Law review: No journal
Work experience: Yes, but none of it professional
Anything else that might have an impact (diversity, etc. or whatever, really)?: Atypical law school student resume, even for NU
Interviewing skills/strategy: Chill out and don't force a fit if it won't work
Mass mails: 30
Callbacks accepted: 7
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 (v40)
Dings: 6
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? quite a few, maybe 10 or so

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:51 am

I will not apologize to someone who has a food product for their screen-name.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School: T50 (UA/BYU/ASU)

Notes:

Couldn't agree more with this. You'll have Phoenix options AND NYC options if you go T14 and end up in top 1/4 of the class. If you go to ASU/UA, I hope you're getting a scholarship because it's extremely risky and you must end up in the top 10% or above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:06 am

Market(s): NYC and LA
Approximate class rank: Below median; my guess is somewhere around 65-70%.
Law review: No, but secondary journal.
Work experience: No, came straight out.
Anything else that might have an impact (diversity, etc. or whatever, really)?: Pretty weak resume, good interviewer.
Interviewing skills/strategy: Tell them what they want to hear. Early on in these interviews it becomes clear that the interviewer is either looking for a diligent and thoughtful worker or a cool person to hang out with in the office. Adjust accordingly. For the former, the canned resume dump. For the latter, bring up last night's big game.
Screening interviews: 27
Callbacks received: 13
Callbacks accepted: 10
Offers w/vault ranges: 4 (v30-100)
Dings: 1
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 0
Thank-you notes sent: A few, but based on my results they don't matter.

I accepted an offer with my top choice and withdrew my candidacy from the other firms. I don't think my experience is typical of people in my position, but I get the sense that most people at my CCN have something.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:School: CCN
Market(s): NYC and LA
Approximate class rank: Below median; my guess is somewhere around 65-70%.
Law review: No, but secondary journal.
Work experience: No, came straight out.
Anything else that might have an impact (diversity, etc. or whatever, really)?: Pretty weak resume, good interviewer.
Interviewing skills/strategy: Tell them what they want to hear. Early on in these interviews it becomes clear that the interviewer is either looking for a diligent and thoughtful worker or a cool person to hang out with in the office. Adjust accordingly. For the former, the canned resume dump. For the latter, bring up last night's big game.
Screening interviews: 27
Callbacks received: 13
Offers w/vault ranges: 4 (v30-100)
Dings: 1
Thank-you notes sent: A few, but based on my results they don't matter.

I accepted an offer with my top choice and withdrew my candidacy from the other firms. I don't think my experience is typical of people in my position, but I get the sense that most people at my CCN have something.
Wow, congrats! I've heard a number of stories similar to yours (i.e. somewhere between median and lower 1/3 still getting some solid offers). It really speaks to how well my (perhaps "our") CCN school is doing. I don't think hiring as a whole has really gone up, but firms seem more willing to dip even deeper into the classes at the T6 schools. My results aren't finalized just yet, but I've heard almost nothing but good news going around.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:03 pm

School: Penn
Approximate class rank: Below median - probably at the bottom third mark.
Law review: no, but on a secondary journal
Work experience: no post-college WE. Came straight through with internships during my summers.
IP background: no
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): strong interviewing skills, LGBT (but I don't know how obvious this was to my interviewers), interesting why-law school story and focused resume with all my experiences being part of a cohesive story leading me to pursuing a career with a large law firm.
Screening Interviews: 35
Mass mails: about 150, received three callbacks (one NYC, two nearby secondary markets) but only went on one of them because I received them after OCI. My mass mails were to midlaw firms in NYC, NJ, and upstate NY.
Callbacks received: 13 (all from OCI)
Callbacks accepted: 8
Offers w/vault ranges: 4 (all V100: one firm ranked in the 20's, two in the 50s, and one in the 70's). Happily accepted with the V30.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 2: - dla piper, after a screener, and Cadwalader, after my callback.

I'd like to add that I don't know a single person who targeted NYC exclusively and did not get at least one offer, regardless of grades/background.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:39 pm

School: Fordham
Approximate class rank: Top 5%
Law review: Yes
Work experience: Nothing substantial or impressive
IP background: no
Anything else that might have an impact?
Mass mails: Didn't do any
Callbacks received: 14
Callbacks accepted: 9
Offers w/vault ranges: 2 V30, 2 V50
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? Just 1, will be withdrawing
Thank-you notes sent: Nope

my impression is that people on LR have done extraordinarily well - and most non-LR people i know who are above median have something
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:44 pm

School: Fordham
Market(s): NY
Approximate class rank: Top 5%
Law review: FLR.
Work experience: Extensive.
Anything else that might have an impact (diversity, etc. or whatever, really)?: Good interviewer
Interviewing skills/strategy: Find common ground.
Screening interviews: 31
Callbacks received: 22
Callbacks accepted: 9
Offers w/vault ranges: 7 (v5, v10, v 20 x 2, v 40 x 3). Accepted the v10.
Dings: 2
Thank-you notes sent: Only to my top choices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:09 pm

School: MVP
Market(s): NoCal and NY
Law review: Secondary Journal
Work experience: 1 Year + internships
Anything else that might have an impact (diversity, etc. or whatever, really)?: ORM, science/engineering degree, late CBs, no connection to California whatsoever.
Interviewing skills/strategy: Be real
Screening interviews: 36
Callbacks received: 12 (4 NoCal, 8 NY)
Callbacks accepted: 11
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 v20 (NY), 1 v100 (NY), 1 top boutique (Silicon Valley)
Dings: 8
Thank-you notes sent: Dinged everywhere I sent thank you notes.

I most likely did not take callbacks seriously enough, but got firms that were ideal personality fits. Also, got a lot of CBs that did not do practice areas I wanted for some reason.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:46 pm

School: Lower T14
Market(s): Northeast
Approximate class rank: Below median
Law review: None
Work experience: 3 years of relevant legal experience.
Anything else that might have an impact (diversity, etc. or whatever, really)?: "Impressive" work experience; URM status; foreign-language skills (native speaker).
Interviewing skills/strategy: Sold myself aggressively but cheerfully and informally to overcome low grades stigma (but learned this too late).
Screening interviews: 40
Callbacks received: 4, all from OCI
Offers w/vault ranges: No vault, 1 boutique
Dings: 3
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? Haven't counted, don't care anymore since I have a job.
Thank-you notes sent: Dinged everywhere I sent thank you notes (though I proofread and re-proofread within an inch of my life).

All it takes is one offer, so I am a pleased customer. Like the previous poster, I most likely did not take callbacks seriously enough until my last callback (where I got my one offer). I learned too late that I should've talked more authoritatively about myself, what I did in my job and what I would bring to the table, and had less of a chatty, good time with interviewers, especially during callbacks. Am very happy with what I got, though, since the firm that gave me my offer had everything I was looking for in a corporate law firm--NYC market wage with huge exposure to international clients while being relatively small and collegial. Also consider myself extremely lucky; this process truly humbled me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:50 pm

I agree with those who suggest that you really have to "make a sell". Sure, you want to be friendly, chatty, and personable. But at the same time, you want to show your confidence and suggest that you can bring something to the table that other applicants cannot. At first, I went the super humble route and the results weren't that great. But then I started to talk more confidently, and always made it a point to note why I thought they should hire me by noting something I could bring that I suggested most applicants wouldn't have. Out of context, it would sound like arrogance, but you need to have a certain level of swagger in these interviews if you want consistent success.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:03 pm

School: George Washington
Market(s): DC / SF (I hate NYC with a fiery burning passion)
Work experience: None
IP background: None
Anything else that might have an impact: Expressed strong interest in only one particular area of law, probably to my detriment at most firms.
Screening Interviews: 17
Mass mails: Sent ~50, resulted in 2 screeners, 1 callback
Callbacks received: 6
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 (V40)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 2
Thank-you notes sent: Sent thank you's to some recruiting/HR people, but not at the firm from which I got the offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:10 am

Market(s): SF/LA
Approximate class rank: Top 30-40%
Law review: Secondary journal
Work experience: 1 year
Anything else that might have an impact: Not a great interviewer.
Screening Interviews: 22
Mass mails: ~20
Callbacks received: 2
Callbacks accepted: 2
Offers w/vault ranges: 0
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 1
Thank-you notes sent: Yes, to all of them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Approximate class rank: N/A - Transfer from T2 (Top 5%)
Law review: Secondary journal (original school law review)
Work experience: None
Anything else that might have an impact:
Screening Interviews: 30
Callbacks received: 14
Offers w/vault ranges: 5 (1 V10, 1 V20, 1 V75, 2 V100)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 2
Thank-you notes sent: To all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”