Final OCI results: 2011 Version

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:21 am

School*: Fordham
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: ~15%
Law review: NO
Work experience: NO
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): 3 Foreign Languages
Screening Interviews: 19
Mass mails: NO
Callbacks received: 14 (OCI)
Callbacks accepted: 6 (canceled 8 after first OCI offer)
Offers w/vault ranges: 2 V10, 1 V50, (1 V20 turned down after callback but before any offer)
Thank-you notes sent: NO

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Man, how do so many people on here have V5/V10 offers? Its so weird, since I have like 20 CB's, yet not a single one with V25 firms, though the majority are in the V25-V75 range. Not at all complaining, but I'm very curious as to the disparity. Obviously not a bad interviewer or else I wouldn't have the CB's that I was lucky enough to get.


OCI season has been pretty weird for me in this respect. I got double digit callbacks, only 1 with a V5 (rest with V25-V100). At the end of my callback season, I only received 1 offer and it was from the V5. I don't know if there was a yield protect-type thing going on with the rest of my callbacks (do law firms even do that?) or if I somehow suck at articulating my interests in some firms. I strongly suspect, however, that the real reason is that the V5 I interviewed with has a FAR larger summer program than every other firm I had callbacks at. So I think that might be the reason why so many people on TLS tend to have V5/V10 offers. The summer classes just might be bigger.



I had a very similar experience! Of the 9 CBs I went on (2 V10, 1 V15, 6V40+) I only received offers from the 2V10s and V15. I doubt this was due to interviewing since I cancelled 6 CBs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Man, how do so many people on here have V5/V10 offers? Its so weird, since I have like 20 CB's, yet not a single one with V25 firms, though the majority are in the V25-V75 range. Not at all complaining, but I'm very curious as to the disparity. Obviously not a bad interviewer or else I wouldn't have the CB's that I was lucky enough to get.


OCI season has been pretty weird for me in this respect. I got double digit callbacks, only 1 with a V5 (rest with V25-V100). At the end of my callback season, I only received 1 offer and it was from the V5. I don't know if there was a yield protect-type thing going on with the rest of my callbacks (do law firms even do that?) or if I somehow suck at articulating my interests in some firms. I strongly suspect, however, that the real reason is that the V5 I interviewed with has a FAR larger summer program than every other firm I had callbacks at. So I think that might be the reason why so many people on TLS tend to have V5/V10 offers. The summer classes just might be bigger.



I had a very similar experience! Of the 9 CBs I went on (2 V10, 1 V15, 6V40+) I only received offers from the 2V10s and V15. I doubt this was due to interviewing since I cancelled 6 CBs.


As a concept, yield protection seems to make a whole lot more sense at the CB stage than the offer stage (why fly people out who are unlikely to want to work there? This would definitely be mitigated if the person went to school in the market though). I don't understand if they went through the trouble of doing a callback with someone, and they liked that person and would want them to work there, why they wouldn't just pick up the phone and make a call. I also don't think partners think along the lines of "oh, he's too good for my firm."

But yeah, people have posted some interesting data points. Maybe people with baller credentials subconsciously convey non-interest in lower ranked firms during the interviews?

Cubyfan21
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Cubyfan21 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:42 pm

How have people done who are at or below the median?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:50 pm

School: UIUC/Wash U/ND/IU
Market(s): Midwest
Approximate class rank: 10%
Law review: Yes.
Work experience: No.
Anything else that might have an impact? Masters Degree.
Screening Interviews: 13
Mass mails: Yes--no luck.
Callbacks received: 5 (OCI)
Callbacks accepted: 5
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V50, 2 V100s

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No matter how much other people tell you, or you tell yourself, that you are a special snowflake that is destin for the stars, it's not true. There are always going to be a lot of people out there that are smarter, more charismatic, and better looking than you. There are even going to be people that aren't and they'll still get better jobs and opportunities than you.


:shock:

:cry:

But I feel like a special snowflake. Why can't W&C just see the really amazing person I see in the mirror every day?


Ain't that the truth. Top 10% at a top 25 law school located in my target market, and zero callbacks to any firms. I would love a V50 (or any V100) but it's not looking so hot right now. Not sure where I went wrong, I seemed to have a good conversation with most of my interviewers

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:37 pm

School: MVP
Market(s): CA
Approximate class rank: top 25%
Law review: no
Work experience: little bit
IP background: no
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc.): no
Screening Interviews: 23
Mass mails: 10
Callbacks received: 10
Callbacks accepted: 8 (cancelled 2 after offer)
Offers w/vault ranges: 2 (V15, V20)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 2

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:54 pm

School: CCN
Market(s): NYC, NJ
Approximate class rank: a hair below median
Law review: no, secondary journal.
Work experience: sorta, during course of uncompleted graduate degree.
IP background: no.
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Pretty but I dress as plain as possible. I know a girl of equivalent prettiness who definitely dressed to highlight it, and it seems like it hurt her.
Screening Interviews: 20
Mass mails: 2, declined 1 because it was too late
Callbacks received: 8
Callbacks accepted: 6
Offers w/vault ranges: One offer, withdrew from other 5 firms before hearing back. Not V100 but market-paying.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 1.
Thank-you notes sent: One, post-CB, didn't hear from the firm either way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:01 pm

School: IU-B
Market(s): All major markets and Midwestern secondary markets
Approximate class rank: Tippy-top of the class
Law review: Yes, main journal.
Moot court: Yes.
Work experience: None, K-JD.
IP background: No.
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): No ties to any geographic region. This killed me.
Screening Interviews: 5 from OCI
Mass mails: I sent ~200 mass mails ( < 100 with targeted cover letters ) and got ~25 interviews.
Callbacks received: 1 from OCI and 9 from mass mails
Callbacks accepted: 8
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V50 and 1 V100 (in my home, secondary market).
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? > 75
Thank-you notes sent: None.

If I were picking where to go to law school again, the school's NALP placement #s and geographic region would play a much larger variable in my calculus. IU-B has shameful NALP placement and no feeder market.

*edited for grammar.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Pretty but I dress as plain as possible. I know a girl of equivalent prettiness who definitely dressed to highlight it, and it seems like it hurt her.


lol I'm thankful I don't know you

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: IU-B
Market(s): All major markets and Midwestern secondary markets
Approximate class rank: Tippy-top of the class
Law review: Yes, main journal.
Moot court: Yes.
Work experience: None, K-JD.
IP background: No.
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): No ties to any geographic region. This killed me.
Screening Interviews: 5 from OCI
Mass mails: I sent ~200 mass mails ( < 100 with targeted cover letters ) and got ~25 interviews.
Callbacks received: 1 from OCI and 9 from mass mails
Callbacks accepted: 8
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V50 and 1 V100 (in my home, secondary market).
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? > 75
Thank-you notes sent: None.

If I were picking where to go to law school again, the school's NALP placement #s and geographic region would play a much larger variable in my calculus. IU-B has shameful NALP placement and no feeder market.

*edited for grammar.


I don't mean to make you feel bad (you've done well, so congrats) but how have your classmates fared? I considered going to iub for the 120 but i couldnt justify it compared to 1/2-price or better at other T20s w/o ties to indiana

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School: IU-B
Market(s): All major markets and Midwestern secondary markets
Approximate class rank: Tippy-top of the class
Law review: Yes, main journal.
Moot court: Yes.
Work experience: None, K-JD.
IP background: No.
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): No ties to any geographic region. This killed me.
Screening Interviews: 5 from OCI
Mass mails: I sent ~200 mass mails ( < 100 with targeted cover letters ) and got ~25 interviews.
Callbacks received: 1 from OCI and 9 from mass mails
Callbacks accepted: 8
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V50 and 1 V100 (in my home, secondary market).
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? > 75
Thank-you notes sent: None.

If I were picking where to go to law school again, the school's NALP placement #s and geographic region would play a much larger variable in my calculus. IU-B has shameful NALP placement and no feeder market.

*edited for grammar.


I don't mean to make you feel bad (you've done well, so congrats) but how have your classmates fared? I considered going to iub for the 120 but i couldnt justify it compared to 1/2-price or better at other T20s w/o ties to indiana


No worries and thanks for the kind words. I know of 5 people, myself included, with offers. IDK how representative that is but I can't really speak to anything beyond my experience. No one really talks about employment stuff outside of close circles.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:08 pm

School: MVP
Market(s): NY
Approximate class rank: 5-10%
Law review: Yes
Work experience: Yes
IP background: None
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Nothing special, but I've been told I'm a pretty good interviewer.
Screening Interviews: 22
Mass mails: 0
Callbacks received: 16
Callbacks accepted: 10 (cancelled the rest after offers from first batch)
Offers w/vault ranges: 7 (1 V5, 1 V10, 1 V15, 1 V30, 1 V50, 2 V100)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 0
Thank-you notes sent: None.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:31 pm

School: DCNG
Market(s): NYC, CA
Approximate class rank: a bit above median
Law review: no, secondary journal.
Work experience: yes, but not game changing
IP background: no.
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): URM, although I don't think this mattered at all as hard as that may seem to believe. I also think firms cared more about grades at the cb stage than years past.
Screening Interviews: 17
Mass mails: 2
Callbacks received: 6
Callbacks accepted: 6
Offers w/vault ranges: Two offers V40 & V100, withdrew from other one before decision went out. 3 rejections post cb
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? none
Thank-you notes sent: To all places I was rejected, none to the places I received offers. Wouldn't look into that though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:54 pm

School: T20
Market(s): NYC, CA
Approximate class rank: top 20%
Law review: no
Work experience: no
IP background: no.
Anything else that might have an impact? no
Screening Interviews: 36
Mass mails: around 20
Callbacks received: 9
Callbacks accepted: 6
Offers w/vault ranges: One offer V50, 2 dings, 3 pending (withdrew after offer with top choice)
Thank-you notes sent: all but to the place I was offered

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:26 pm

School: UVA
Market(s): TX, DC, NY
Approximate class rank: top 15%
Law review: secondary journal
Work experience: 2 years
IP background: no.
Anything else that might have an impact? varsity athlete in college
Screening Interviews: 39
Mass mails: 21
Callbacks received: 20
Callbacks accepted: 8 (cancelled most callbacks after getting V10 offer)
Offers w/vault ranges: 2 V10 (one satellite), 1 V100, 2 non-Vault
Thank-you notes sent: None.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Anyone else from MVP hearing/seeing people with top 10-15% grades having a difficult time in DC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else from MVP hearing/seeing people with top 10-15% grades having a difficult time in DC?


Yes. DC is an odd market. I know people landing DC market paying jobs with OK grades (median, little above) and folks with very strong grades (top 10% or better) struggling there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:55 pm

School*:CLS
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Top 15-20%
Law review: NO
Work experience: Yes! a bit- not a ton though
Anything else that might have an impact? Good interviewer. I have been through this before :)
Screening Interviews: 24
Mass mails: NO
Callbacks received: 16-19 (OCI)
Callbacks accepted: 6 (got top choice as first CB and first offer so I cancelled a ton)
Offers w/vault ranges: 2 V5, 1V10 1V15,
Thank-you notes sent: NO

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:17 am

School: YHS
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: top third
Law review: yes
Work experience: 2 years, pretty relevant
IP background: no
Anything else that might have an impact? no.
Screening Interviews: 31
Mass mails: 6
Callbacks received: 21
Callbacks accepted: 10
Offers w/vault ranges: 3 V5, 1 V10, 2 V15, 2 V25
Thank-you notes sent: sometimes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:28 am

School: HYS
Market(s): SF, DC, NYC
Approximate class rank: Maybe top third, maybe higher, possibly lower
Law review: No. E-board of a secondary, though
Work experience: 2+ years, completely irrelevant to law
IP background: Nope
Anything else that might have an impact? Solid interviewer, tend to relate to people well
Screening Interviews: 19
Mass mails: 2, neither resulted in anything.
Callbacks received: 13
Callbacks accepted: 10
Offers w/vault ranges: 10; 4 V10, 3 V15, 2 V25, 1 non-Vault. All 6 firms that rejected me were below the V25.
Accepted: Splitting between a V15 and the non-Vault.
Thank-you notes sent: None.

All in all, I had a successful OCI. Did a lot of research, tried to be interesting on my resume and in interviews. I enjoyed callbacks, and tried to be friendly/interesting during them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 am

School: WUSTL/UIUC/ND/IUB
Market(s): Chi, LA
Approximate class rank: 5%
Law review: Yes
Work experience: Min wage jobs in college
IP background: No
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Nontraditional
Screening Interviews: ~15
Mass mails:~50
Callbacks received: 2
Callbacks accepted: 2
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V50 (accepted before hearing from the other CB)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? One from OCI, about half the mass mails
Thank-you notes sent: No

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28213
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Kronk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:47 pm

lol. What is the point of this thread? A.) everyone is anonymous, B.) only like 5 people that have struck out have posted so it's obviously skewed towards aspies, C.) everyone else is like Top 10% at a Yale, D.) is this supposed to be helpful to anyone?

Very well, carry on.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Not sure why it's a problem with people being Anon. I think it will help students next year that are trying to figure out their bidding list. I know that being from MVP around top 1/3, my bidding list was helped a ton because of last year's stats, even if many of them were from people who did well. Yes, the Yale students probably don't help much of TLS, but there are still a lot of other people that can benefit. I haven't checked out the USC/UCLA or the Midwest thread, but hopefully they can post their final results over here once their cycles are done. I'm guessing there's valuable stuff/info on there that could also be posted here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:45 pm

School: UNC
Market(s): East
Approximate class rank: 10%
Law review: No
Work experience: Summer work experience in a blue collar job
Anything else that might have an impact? immigrant, very very good looking 8)
Screening Interviews: 25
Mass mails: Yes- mass mailed about 20 firms in Charlotte, NC.
Callbacks received: 6 - OCI; 2-Mass mailing
Callbacks accepted: 5 (canceled V15 & V60 call back)
Offers: Total 5: 1 V40, 1 V100, 3 non-vault firms.


I am very pleased with the results and got my #1 pick.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.