Final OCI results: 2011 Version Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Final OCI results: 2011 Version

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Class of 2014 needs to look at the vast difference between the MVP students with target market of DC and those going to NYC. Top 1/3 students can kill it at NYC, while top 10% students can struggle in D.C.
That's definitely not limited to MVP. I would say that's true even up to T6 and probably HLS too (though the grades cut-off might vary a little, but honestly I doubt very much).
At CLS, people within top 40% seemed to have a decent shot at finding something in DC (might require dropping down like 50 places in Vault, but still), and top 30% or so could land at least one big name in DC. I know this because I am one of the people in the first category. Of course, a lot depends on the intangibles (previous experience, interests, connections, etc.), and there are always exceptions. But I would say anecdotally that if there's something on your resume to suggest that you want to work in DC permanently, it's not that hard to get in from CLS. You just won't have the same kinds of opportunities, and of course a lot of people will still miss the cutoff. I just thought this comment made it seem a lot more difficult than it actually was for me and for at least the people I knew who had done better than me in grades and were interviewing with DC firms at OCI.

Edit: put the cutoff at 40% bc that's the lowest I know of people getting, approximately. Could ostensibly go lower, but I know for me it was only a couple callbacks at that mark.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Class of 2014 needs to look at the vast difference between the MVP students with target market of DC and those going to NYC. Top 1/3 students can kill it at NYC, while top 10% students can struggle in D.C.
That's definitely not limited to MVP. I would say that's true even up to T6 and probably HLS too (though the grades cut-off might vary a little, but honestly I doubt very much).
At CLS, people within top 40% seemed to have a decent shot at finding something in DC (might require dropping down like 50 places in Vault, but still), and top 30% or so could land at least one big name in DC. I know this because I am one of the people in the first category. Of course, a lot depends on the intangibles (previous experience, interests, connections, etc.), and there are always exceptions. But I would say anecdotally that if there's something on your resume to suggest that you want to work in DC permanently, it's not that hard to get in from CLS. You just won't have the same kinds of opportunities, and of course a lot of people will still miss the cutoff. I just thought this comment made it seem a lot more difficult than it actually was for me and for at least the people I knew who had done better than me in grades and were interviewing with DC firms at OCI.
There's no way to know for sure, but for the past three cycles that I've been paying attention, I've seen more anecdotes of people with sterling credentials struggling or coming up empty-handed than people pulling it off. Of course a strong background will help you (and if it's IP, I suspect the rules don't really apply anymore) but it's pretty rough. How many people do you know with sub-top 10% grades do you know who got a V100 gig inside the beltway?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
There's no way to know for sure, but for the past three cycles that I've been paying attention, I've seen more anecdotes of people with sterling credentials struggling or coming up empty-handed than people pulling it off. Of course a strong background will help you (and if it's IP, I suspect the rules don't really apply anymore) but it's pretty rough. How many people do you know with sub-top 10% grades do you know who got a V100 gig inside the beltway?
CLS poster above. Everything I have is anecdotal, so I'm not claiming any scientific knowledge of this or anything. Just trying to share what I do know at this point.

I don't know anybody with top 10% grades or an IP background. Of the people I know, 5 in the top 30% aiming for DC (i.e., everyone I know that was aiming for DC) got an offer, one at Cleary, two at Jones Day, one at Paul Hastings, and one at Paul Weiss. I'm top 40% and got a V100 offer in DC.

I'm not going to vouch for the people who go into DC interviews and say they want to do M&A, but if you've done your research on a firm and the work you want to do fits in with what the firm does, you're not out of the running at the grades I've mentioned. I don't have any special background, I went straight through from college and did an internship in DC over the summer.

In the end, I think a lot of it comes down to being prepared and knowing what you're talking about. A lot of people really don't seem to get that corporate is comparatively rare in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks for the additional info. I know a lot of people who had solid backgrounds and aligned interests who just got totally shut out of DC, so I believe there is plenty reason to be cautious of putting all your eggs in the DC basket, but it sounds like I might be a little overly cynical.

FTR I didn't target DC, but I did think about it, and was discouraged by how many people I saw get pwnt in DC from c/o 2011 and 2012.

I wonder if CLS has a better combination of relatively fewer students wanting to leave NYC and firms wanting CLS students, compared to say UChi or HLS? I definitely see CLS as a school for people who want to work biglaw in NYC. You would expect that to apply to NYU as well, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the additional info. I know a lot of people who had solid backgrounds and aligned interests who just got totally shut out of DC, so I believe there is plenty reason to be cautious of putting all your eggs in the DC basket, but it sounds like I might be a little overly cynical.

FTR I didn't target DC, but I did think about it, and was discouraged by how many people I saw get pwnt in DC from c/o 2011 and 2012.

I wonder if CLS has a better combination of relatively fewer students wanting to leave NYC and firms wanting CLS students, compared to say UChi or HLS? I definitely see CLS as a school for people who want to work biglaw in NYC. You would expect that to apply to NYU as well, though.
Yeah, my offer came out of a handful of OCI interviews among almost all NYC interviews (and I ended up accepting an NYC offer). For me it was a matter of targeting the right firms for my profile and knowing what lawyers did in DC . I would also hazard a guess that a lot of the top-10% people aren't bidding on places like Sutherland or Venable, for example, and instead assuming that they can get the tip-top places like they'd be able to in NYC, which isn't always the case.

My advice is really just target the right firms (cast a wide net between NYC and DC and cast a wide net within DC), know which practice areas are viable, and have a good reason for wanting to work there (I always said: smaller office culture, want suburban life with big city resources, but still access to top clients/work, interested in govt contracts and regulatory work, etc.). People have to realize that getting an offer anywhere is tough these days, so yeah, you might get shut out if you're not at the top of your game in terms of interviewing.

I also very strongly doubt that it's less competitive to get into DC from CLS than from any other close-in-ranking school. People don't come here because they want to work in New York (although many and most do ultimately decide to work here), they come here because it's one of the best schools in the country.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:47 pm

School*: MVP
Market(s): NYC, SF
Approximate class rank: Top 15%
Law review: Secondary
Work experience: None
IP background: no
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): No
Screening Interviews: 15
Mass mails: None
Callbacks received: 6
Callbacks accepted: 2
Offers w/vault ranges:1 V15
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? None
Thank-you notes sent: None

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I struck out in DC and I was (probably) inside top 20% at HLS. I think some prior DC experience makes a big difference though (arguably bigger than grades), and I had none.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:09 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheFriendlyBarber

Bronze

Post by TheFriendlyBarber » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:23 am

GeePee wrote:I struck out in DC and I was (probably) inside top 20% at HLS. I think some prior DC experience makes a big difference though (arguably bigger than grades), and I had none.
DC firms are a lot like NY ones when it comes to ties. I imagine it was your personality that did you in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:10 am

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
GeePee wrote:I struck out in DC and I was (probably) inside top 20% at HLS. I think some prior DC experience makes a big difference though (arguably bigger than grades), and I had none.
DC firms are a lot like NY ones when it comes to ties. I imagine it was your personality that did you in.
Um what? No, no they aren't. They definitely ask for ties. It's common enough that it was a common joke at my OCI: scumbag city with transient population wants strong ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
Um what? No, no they aren't. They definitely ask for ties. It's common enough that it was a common joke at my OCI: scumbag city with transient population wants strong ties.
DC "ties" aren't strictly ties though. You don't need to have like a ton of family living in Maryland or a significant other working there or something along those lines, like you usually do with Cali or secondary markets. In DC, it's the same sense of wanting to know that you're in it for the long run, but unlike in other places in DC that's based more on your areas of interest and demonstrated by your resume. The right answer is somewhere between all of the assertions so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:54 pm

School: T30
Market(s): DC, NYC, Boston
Approximate class rank: top quarter
Work experience: 2 years in consulting
IP background: No
Anything else that might have an impact?: (it would be too revealing)
Screening Interviews: 9 or 10
Mass mails: 0
Callbacks received: 4
Callbacks accepted: 4
Offers w/vault ranges: 2 non-vault (NLJ250) & 1 V50 (Accepted)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 3 screeners & 1 cb

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:03 am

School: MVP
Market(s): DC
Approximate class rank: Top 10%
Law review: No; secondary journal
Work experience: 2 years
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): great 1L summer internship & work experience; strong ties to DC
Screening Interviews: 20
Mass mails: None
Callbacks received: 13
Callbacks accepted: 10
Offers w/vault ranges: 6 (3 V20, 1 V25, 2 V50)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 1 screener; I accepted an offer before hearing back from 2 cbs
Thank-you notes sent: None

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:15 pm

School: MVP
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Top 5-10%
Law review: Yes
Work experience: No
Anything else that might have an impact?: Finance Major
Screening Interviews: 15
Callbacks received: 13
Callbacks accepted: 5
Offers w/vault ranges: 3 offers in V5, 1 offer in V10, accepted with V5
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? None

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:42 pm

School: Southwest tier 1
Market(s): Phoenix, Las Vegas
Approximate Class Rank: Top 5-10%
Law Review: Yes
Work Experience: Nothing significant, but interesting jobs that were often talking points on my resume
IP Background: No
Anything else that might have an impact: Strong 1L summer internship, strong southwest ties
Screening Interviews: 20
Mass Mails: 0
Callbacks Received: 4
Callbacks Accepted: 4
Offers w/ Vault Ranges: 1 NLJ250, 1 non-Vault
How many firms didn't get back with rejection/callback: 1 screener

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:13 pm

School*: T25
Market(s): Almost everywhere
Approximate class rank: Top 5%
Law review: Y
Work experience: Worked full time through part of college
IP background: N
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Suck ass interviewer
Screening Interviews: 25
Mass mails: Lots
Callbacks received: 3
Callbacks accepted: 3
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V50
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? Withdrew from NLJ 250 once I got the V50
Thank-you notes sent: Where I got the offer, I sent one to the recruiter. For the other two firms, I sent one to all the attorneys I met with, but that was probably overkill. Even though I tied each thank you with our conversation, many of my thank yous sounded similar and were probably annoying.

Unsolicited advice: Go to career services and work on your interviewing skills. Smile. Don't be a dick. Grades get you in the door, but they are not going to get you the job. And lastly, don't give up if OCI doesn't help you. My offer came from a firm that I didn't send an application to until the end of September.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:30 pm

School: Vanderbilt
Market(s): NYC, ATL, Central and North FL, Nashville, Birmingham (strong ties to FL and ATL, weaker TN ties, no Bham ties)
Approximate class rank: Top 30% or so
Work experience: Paralegal/assistant over three summers during college
Anything else that might have an impact? ORM, very strong family/professional connections in FL
Screening Interviews: 19 from OCI, 8 from SEMJF, various other over phone and in-office
Mass mails: 55ish (mainly FL, NYC, Nash)
Callbacks received: 10 (1 from OCI, 4 from SEMJF, 5 from mailers/resume drops)

Vault ranges are fairly worthless for my situation. Here is the breakdown, in the order I went on them. I went on 9/10.

1: Central FL midlaw
2: Nashville biglaw
3: V40 NYC
4: Central FL biglaw satellite
5: Central FL big/midzise firm
6: Central FL biglaw satellite
7: Nashville biglaw
8: ATL biglaw
9: North FL boutique

10: ATL midlaw (did not go, received after I had accepted)

Offers w/vault ranges: Firms 1, 2, 5, and 9 (4 offers total)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? Emailed firms 4 and 10 and told them I accepted an offer.

Accepted a split between 2 and 5

TY notes: This question sucks

Thoughts:
In interviews, I come off as a Southern bro, which plays well in FL (good 'ol boy network) and Nashville. This does NOT play well in NYC and nerdier firms. All the firms I got offers from were pretty fratty, except for Firm 9, which was pretty nerdy. Firm 9 was a unique situation because it was a small town I had ties to.

If you're a Southerner who goes to a Southern school with good but not stellar grades, you're not gonna have good luck in NYC. I think if you're not at a school that traditionally sends a lot of people to NYC (T14, Fordham), you're gonna have a harder time.

ATL is a slaughterhouse.

Don't bother with Birmingham if you have no ties or didn't get a 1L SA there. People without ties with good grades got 1L SAs. 2L Birmingham recruiting is largely a flame.

I actually stuck out at OCI, but I mailed and went to job fairs beforehand so by the time I struck out, I already had plenty of CBs. Do your work up front.

Why did I strike out? Bad luck in ATL screeners, and the elaborate flame of 2L Bham hiring. Don't discount the affect of luck. I'm a pretty cool dude, but luck plays a bigger part in this than most people think.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:38 pm

School: T10
Market(s): South Florida
Approximate class rank: Median
Law review: No LR or Journal
Work experience: Little
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): No
Screening Interviews: 8
Mass mails: 2
Callbacks received: 2
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V100

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here is the breakdown, in the order I went on them. I went on all 9.

1: Central FL midlaw
2: Nashville biglaw
3: V40 NYC
4: Central FL biglaw satellite
5: Central FL big/midzise firm
6: Central FL biglaw satellite
7: Nashville biglaw
8: ATL biglaw
9: North FL boutique

Offers w/vault ranges: Firms 1, 2, 5, and 9 (4 offers total)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? Emailed Firm 4 and told them I accepted an offer.

Accepted a split between 2 and 5
Impressed you revealed this level of detail, because you certainly outed yourself to your classmates and your future employers. Anyway, congrats! I'm another one of the few who targeted their SA search on Central Florida (Orlando). T14 / Median / WE. Offer accepted at what is probably one of the firms you've listed above. It's a pretty rough market, though, as most firms are hiring 1-2 SAs max. Very different than Miami / South Florida.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:14 pm

School: BU/BC
Market(s): Boston and NYC
Approximate class rank: Top 5%
Law review: Yes
Work experience: Nope
IP background: Nope
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): None
Screening Interviews: 28 (or thereabouts)
Mass mails: None, but a couple resume collects
Callbacks received: 8
Callbacks accepted: 7
Offers w/vault ranges: 2
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: One from a screener, one from a resume collect.

Accepting at one of the big three Boston firms. Crazy process, glad its over, excited for the opportunity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:27 pm

School*: DCNG
Market(s): NYC/LA (from LA)
Approximate class rank: .02 above median
Law review: No
Work experience: 2 years (non-substantive)
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Asian
Screening Interviews: ~30
Callbacks received: 2 (1 NY - non vault market, 1 LA - v50)
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 (LA v50)
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? a few
Thank-you notes sent: Yes, to everyone

I targeted NYC much more heavily based on the wisdom here (also because I preferred to work there), but ended up with just 1 CB. I feel extremely lucky to get my offer in LA as I've heard it is much more difficult market. One thing I've learned is that luck (stuff out of your control like 1 interviewer at a firm liking you much more then the other interviewer) is a huge factor for those around median...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:42 pm

School*: DCNG
Market(s): NYC, SF, LA
Approximate class rank: top 30%
Law review: secondary
Work experience: good WE
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): no
Screening Interviews: 29
Mass mails: >100
Callbacks received: 8
Callbacks accepted: 8
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 v40 in NY
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback? 1 or 2
Thank-you notes sent: Mixed, but sent to the firm that I accepted the offer from

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:33 pm

School*: MVP
Market(s): NYC/NJ/Philadelphia
Approximate class rank: Transfer (Top 5% at T2)
Law review: N (secondary at both new and old schools; no grade-on LR at old school)
Work experience: 5 years in unrelated professional field
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Bad interviewer, non-prestigious undergrad, non-prestigious WE
Screening Interviews: 19 (OCI only)
Mass mails: 30 pre-OCI, over 100 post-OCI
Callbacks received: 11 - 2 OCI, 9 mass mail (3 V50, 2 V100, 6 Regional)
Callbacks accepted: 11
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V100 (NYC) - not through OCI
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?
-Rejected from: 1 V50 (NY), 1 V100 (Philly), 2 Regional
-Withdrew from everywhere else before hearing either way

Things that may have hurt me BESIDES terrible interviewing:
1) I'm a female who will be over 30 when I graduate
2) I went to a non-prestigious undergrad with a "party school" rep -- and the rep was significantly worse when most partners were in school.
3) My WE was similarly not prestigious (it was kind of the "shitlaw" of my old field) and explaining what I did was somewhat complicated.
4) My background as a whole, combined with my personality, may have come across as shallow; I'm not a "law geek"-type and I don't have a polisci/humanities/econ/typical law student background.

Advice:
1) Mass mail your hometown pre-OCI. It's a great way to rack up CB's if you go to a top school.
2) Take advantage of any opportunity to work on interview skills -- it's more important than you think. OCI interviews are NOTHING like regular job interviews.
3) Don't worry about transfer bias. It's a waste of worrying.
4) USE CAREER SERVICES if you feel you are doing badly. Make them know your name. They will give you firm referrals.
5) If you fear you are a shitty interviewer or have some of the other things I pointed out as negatives: DEFINITELY TRANSFER. I probably would have struck out at my old school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:34 pm

3L Student, who struck out last year!

School*: MVPB
Market(s): SF/NYC/LON
Approximate class rank: Transfer (Top 5% at T2); MEDIAN at T10.
Work experience: 2 Years unrelated field
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Paid internship with prestigious government organization
Screening Interviews: 10
Mass mails: 350+ (and about 100 targeted emails/networking)
Callbacks received: 7 - 2 OCI, 5 mass mail and networking
Callbacks accepted: 7
Offers w/vault ranges: 1 V10 (SF), by networking; 1 (Magic Circle firm in LON), by networking; 1 NLJ 250 (SF), OCI
Rejections: Withdrew from 3 (V10, Magic Circle, V10), rejection from 1 (V5).

Things that may have hurt me BESIDES terrible interviewing:
1) I did not summer with a firm after 2L because I did not receive an offer.
2) I have never worked with a firm before
3) I did litigation over the summer, and I only applied to Corporate Practice this time around

Advice:
1) NETWORK (call, email, visit. It's the only way to work it as a 3L, and I wish that I had done it during 2L)
2) Don't listen to the crap about there being no job opportunities during 3L. There are lots of firms hiring, you just have to network to get your foot in the door. If you have a negative attitude, like most of TLS here, you WILL fail. Don't give up!!!
3) PREPARE for interviews. Know the firm forwards and backwards. Know exactly what you want to do if you're a 3L, because firms are only looking to hire 3Ls into certain practice areas. Read Guerrilla Tactics (the interview section). PRACTICE your interviewing skills. Have prepared answers that come up every interview. Act extremely interested with every firm. And if you get an offer/CB, use it as leverage to see other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:18 pm

School: MVPB
Market(s): South
Approximate class rank: Bottom 1/3
Law review: Secondary Journal
Work experience: 4 Years
Anything else that might have an impact? (diversity, etc. or whatever, really): Focused on home market.
Screening Interviews: 30
Mass mails: 0 as a 2L, 100+ as a 1L
Callbacks received: 10 = 4 OCI, 2 Mass mail, 4 Other
Callbacks accepted: 8
Offers w/vault ranges: 3 = 2 non-vault (paying market), 1 v100
Rejections: 5

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”