Pitching Litigation--should I not?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pitching Litigation--should I not?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 pm

So in my screening interviews, and in my callbacks, I've been pitching litigation. There's nothing on my resume to indicate transactional work, and my 1L summer was spent in a litigation dept.

But, there's also this: civ pro was my lowest grade, larw wasn't horrible but wasn't great, and i'm not on moot court.

Is pitching litigation a horrible idea? I just feel that I can talk about it in substantive ways, and I am unable to do that with transcational work since I've had no experience in it. Am I shooting myself in the foot?

anongoodnurse

Re: Pitching Litigation--should I not?

Postby anongoodnurse » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 pm

"I'd really like to use the summer to get a wide exposure to various types of work. Lots of what goes on in a law firm -- mostly on the transactional and regulatory sides -- is a mystery to me, and I'd love to find out more about it. That said, I'm a little more familiar with a litigation practice, both from law school and my 1L summer experience, and I like that type of work and would definitely would be interested in being exposed to more of it."

This is the correct response for biglaw.

Anonymous User

Re: Pitching Litigation--should I not?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:42 pm

anongoodnurse wrote:"I'd really like to use the summer to get a wide exposure to various types of work. Lots of what goes on in a law firm -- mostly on the transactional and regulatory sides -- is a mystery to me, and I'd love to find out more about it. That said, I'm a little more familiar with a litigation practice, both from law school and my 1L summer experience, and I like that type of work and would definitely would be interested in being exposed to more of it."

This is the correct response for biglaw.

Whatever, pitch litigation if you want. There is no one correct response --- it depends on you and the firm you are interviewing with. Otherwise, more people would get jobs.

Return to “Legal Employment”