OMM DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OMM DC

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:36 am

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on OMM's DC office and the summer associate program (do you rotate practice areas, what are the practice strengths, etc.)? All of their information seems to be in those "experience" videos and webinars, but they are unsupported by my computer and I can't view them before my interview that is . . . soon.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: OMM DC

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone give me a quick rundown on OMM's DC office and the summer associate program (do you rotate practice areas, what are the practice strengths, etc.)? All of their information seems to be in those "experience" videos and webinars, but they are unsupported by my computer and I can't view them before my interview that is . . . soon.

Thanks!
No, you do not rotate. They have a very strong appellate practice and they also do a lot of antitrust and white collar work. Minimal transactional stuff but they do some (which is more focused on regulatory aspects). It has a more laid back culture compared to other DC firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks! So no formal rotation, but you can take assignments from different practice areas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:24 pm

Things I know:

The people there are very cool. Probably the most fun callback I've had as far as the people being likeable and loose.
They do do a good amount of antitrust and white collar. They also have at least some people doing ITC work and IP work, though I don't think those are the biggest departments. I'm honestly now sure how many people are in those departments.
The offices are very nice.
The location is good.
They are definitely more skilled at litigation than corporate, which is basically a non-entity, especially in DC. Also, take a look at the partner departures from the last year. Not something to discuss in the callback perhaps but you should be aware.
They seem laid back as far as letting you try different areas of law in the first few years and also as far as people leaving for gov't and other positions. I think the "Revolving door" policy is more common in DC than NYC.

I'm curious to hear what others say too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Things I know:

The people there are very cool. Probably the most fun callback I've had as far as the people being likeable and loose.
They do do a good amount of antitrust and white collar. They also have at least some people doing ITC work and IP work, though I don't think those are the biggest departments. I'm honestly now sure how many people are in those departments.
The offices are very nice.
The location is good.
They are definitely more skilled at litigation than corporate, which is basically a non-entity, especially in DC. Also, take a look at the partner departures from the last year. Not something to discuss in the callback perhaps but you should be aware.
They seem laid back as far as letting you try different areas of law in the first few years and also as far as people leaving for gov't and other positions. I think the "Revolving door" policy is more common in DC than NYC.

I'm curious to hear what others say too.
I would not be too concerned about the partner departures. Word on the street is they are exceptionally busy in the DC office and are bringing in new associates earlier than anticipated due to the high volume of work. Plus, there are a host of explanations for the various departures if one takes the time to really dig (or even talk to the firm post-offer).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:45 pm

Yeah from what I've heard the partners were largely in the NYC office and the whole "OMM does NYC transactional work" experiment was a bit of a non-starter." There were other reasons but I don't think the departures were the end of the world.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah from what I've heard the partners were largely in the NYC office and the whole "OMM does NYC transactional work" experiment was a bit of a non-starter." There were other reasons but I don't think the departures were the end of the world.
You do realize that a huge chunk of the antitrust group in DC defected a couple of months ago, right?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:11 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah from what I've heard the partners were largely in the NYC office and the whole "OMM does NYC transactional work" experiment was a bit of a non-starter." There were other reasons but I don't think the departures were the end of the world.
You do realize that a huge chunk of the antitrust group in DC defected a couple of months ago, right?
2 partners?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”