Cold offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Cold offered?

Yes. Start 3L job hunting.
5
14%
No. You're paranoid.
20
57%
No, but you should still start 3L job hunting, stat.
10
29%
 
Total votes: 35

lserenfindis
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Cold offer?

Postby lserenfindis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:12 pm

I'm somewhat obtuse and am not sure if I've been cold offered or not. I got the phone call congratulating me on my offer, but at the end of the conversation, I was told that they highly recommended that I call this guy who is in charge of the employee assistance program "EAP" for my demeanor and I didn't get more than that. This guy is now on vacation so I haven't spoken to him yet, but is this the firm's clever way of cold offering me? Thoughts, please?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cold offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:19 pm

lserenfindis wrote:I'm somewhat obtuse and am not sure if I've been cold offered or not. I got the phone call congratulating me on my offer, but at the end of the conversation, I was told that they highly recommended that I call this guy who is in charge of the employee assistance program "EAP" for my demeanor and I didn't get more than that. This guy is now on vacation so I haven't spoken to him yet, but is this the firm's clever way of cold offering me? Thoughts, please?


Huh? Demeanor?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cold offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:20 pm

was told by a partner that when they cold offer they make it very explicit - like "we are extending you an offer, but we think you will be much happier at another firm"

ironically, he also said that about 80% of cold offers actually ended up coming back. so worse case scenario, even if you are cold offered you can still accept it.

lserenfindis
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby lserenfindis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lserenfindis wrote:I'm somewhat obtuse and am not sure if I've been cold offered or not. I got the phone call congratulating me on my offer, but at the end of the conversation, I was told that they highly recommended that I call this guy who is in charge of the employee assistance program "EAP" for my demeanor and I didn't get more than that. This guy is now on vacation so I haven't spoken to him yet, but is this the firm's clever way of cold offering me? Thoughts, please?


Huh? Demeanor?


Literally the caller said "demeanor" before dashing off. I'm just as lost as you are...

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:23 pm

From Wikipedia: "Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs) are employee benefit programs offered by many employers, typically in conjunction with a health insurance plan. EAPs are intended to help employees deal with personal problems that might adversely impact their work performance, health, and well-being. EAPs generally include assessment, short-term counseling and referral services for employees and their household members."

Doesn't sound like they would be having you talk to the EAP person unless they thought you would be coming back. Still, even though its probably an offer, you need to figure out what is wrong. Something obviously happened over the summer that the firm (or at least this partner) is worried about, and wants to get you help to fix it. Do what they say, and fix yourself up.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6360
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby 5ky » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:25 pm

Agree with Sup Kid. How reserved are you? It's possible they thought you were slightly depressed.

luthersloan
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby luthersloan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:26 pm

That is kind of bizarre, did you have any problems getting along with people during the summer or something? It does not really sound like a cold offer though, as a cold offer generally would involve them making it quite clear that while their are technically extending you an offer, they really want you to go elsewhere. So unless the person they told you to call is a hiring partner at another firm I would not worry about it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cold offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:26 pm

Possible alcohol issues perhaps? Just a guess, but it's the kind of concern that may have surfaced during summer events.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Cold offer?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:was told by a partner that when they cold offer they make it very explicit - like "we are extending you an offer, but we think you will be much happier at another firm"

ironically, he also said that about 80% of cold offers actually ended up coming back. so worse case scenario, even if you are cold offered you can still accept it.

This doesn't sound like a true cold offer to me. My understanding is that a cold offer is not welcome back. It's an offer in name only, and not in reality.

luthersloan
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby luthersloan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:27 pm

5ky wrote:Agree with Sup Kid. How reserved are you? It's possible they thought you were slightly depressed.


Nah, they are in Biglaw. He would have to be really depressed for it seem out of the ordinary.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:28 pm

lserenfindis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lserenfindis wrote:I'm somewhat obtuse and am not sure if I've been cold offered or not. I got the phone call congratulating me on my offer, but at the end of the conversation, I was told that they highly recommended that I call this guy who is in charge of the employee assistance program "EAP" for my demeanor and I didn't get more than that. This guy is now on vacation so I haven't spoken to him yet, but is this the firm's clever way of cold offering me? Thoughts, please?


Huh? Demeanor?


Literally the caller said "demeanor" before dashing off. I'm just as lost as you are...


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employee_a ... ce_program

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6360
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby 5ky » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:28 pm

luthersloan wrote:
5ky wrote:Agree with Sup Kid. How reserved are you? It's possible they thought you were slightly depressed.


Nah, they are in Biglaw. He would have to be really depressed for it seem out of the ordinary.


Well played.

lserenfindis
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby lserenfindis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:31 pm

luthersloan wrote:
5ky wrote:Agree with Sup Kid. How reserved are you? It's possible they thought you were slightly depressed.


Nah, they are in Biglaw. He would have to be really depressed for it seem out of the ordinary.


Hahaha, this is making me depressed. :)

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby Bronte » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:37 pm

No I suspect the depression or alcohol thing or something akin to that is credited unless something else transpired that makes sense. Were there any incidents at social events? Are you a loud person? Did you curse a lot? Yell at anyone? Act weird towards women? If it's nothing like that and you can't think of anything, they may be worried that you were overly reserved or something. Ultimately, you should just remain calm and talk to this EAP or whatever it is. They'll tell you what's up I would hope.

lserenfindis
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby lserenfindis » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks all. Don't think I ran into any of the above problems, but maybe I ran over some partner's pet cat or something without knowing it? My mid-summer evals didn't mention anything problematic.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby goodolgil » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:41 pm

So you can actually accept these cold offers? Never thought about that before. What happens then?

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby mrloblaw » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:47 pm

goodolgil wrote:So you can actually accept these cold offers? Never thought about that before. What happens then?


World's most awkward work environment; conveyor belt to layoffs?

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby goodolgil » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Just makes me think of George Costanza working at PlayNow!

User avatar
Glock
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby Glock » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Probably not a cold offer. They probably want you to work on being less somber or something.

It isn't a cold offer unless they tell you to look elsewhere.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Cold offer?

Postby rayiner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm

lserenfindis wrote:Thanks all. Don't think I ran into any of the above problems, but maybe I ran over some partner's pet cat or something without knowing it? My mid-summer evals didn't mention anything problematic.


EAP is for alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or depression. If you didn't look depressed, maybe you looked like you were high as a kite?

TheFriendlyBarber
Posts: 258
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 am

Re: Cold offer?

Postby TheFriendlyBarber » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:58 pm

rayiner wrote:
lserenfindis wrote:Thanks all. Don't think I ran into any of the above problems, but maybe I ran over some partner's pet cat or something without knowing it? My mid-summer evals didn't mention anything problematic.


EAP is for alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or depression. If you didn't look depressed, maybe you looked like you were high as a kite?


He was probably high as a Georgia pine.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: Cold offer?

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:06 pm

TheFriendlyBarber wrote:
rayiner wrote:
lserenfindis wrote:Thanks all. Don't think I ran into any of the above problems, but maybe I ran over some partner's pet cat or something without knowing it? My mid-summer evals didn't mention anything problematic.


EAP is for alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or depression. If you didn't look depressed, maybe you looked like you were high as a kite?


He was probably high as a Georgia pine.
So they want him to get help before he ends up buying the farm?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273139
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Cold offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:28 pm

I'd probably do my best to get into another firm if it isn't too late. Your name is already tarnished here if the EAP is for substance abuse or depression.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Cold offer?

Postby rayiner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd probably do my best to get into another firm if it isn't too late. Your name is already tarnished here if the EAP is for substance abuse or depression.


Disregard this advice.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Cold offer?

Postby Renzo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:11 pm

lserenfindis wrote:Thanks all. Don't think I ran into any of the above problems, but maybe I ran over some partner's pet cat or something without knowing it? My mid-summer evals didn't mention anything problematic.


You sure there weren't any good times at a drinking event that were a little too good? That seems the most plausible.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.