Poll: Irell v. Gibson Dunn

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Irell vs. Gibson

Irell
55%
Gibson Dunn
45%

Total votes: 60

Citizen Genet

Re: Poll: Irell v. Gibson Dunn

Postby Citizen Genet » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There has been a lot of pro-Irell posting on this thread. Anybody care to point out the strengths of Gibson?

Ted Boutrous. Broader range of non-IP work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:15 pm

Century City vs. Downtown is a large consideration here, also.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Irell has no "unique" problems that are not general big-law problems.

I cannot think of one way in which going to Irell is a negative for someone interested in any type of litigation.

Contrary to popular opinion, Irell does not just do patent litigation. Just because a firm is exceptional in an area of practice doesn't mean it isn't stellar in other practice areas as well.

Lifestyle-wise, I'm not sure I've ever actually heard of a firm as good as Irell. I mean, these people at Irell don't really care where you work from, or where you are for that matter during the day. As long as you get your work done. It is the purest form of meritocracy.

If there's any stress unique to Irell, my best guess would be that it is the stress that comes with knowing that the people you turn in your assignments to expect every single memo/brief to be your best work product. I think that's a good type of stress for a lawyer. And if that deters you from going to Irell, then I'm not sure the legal profession is the ideal choice of career.

I'm a huge fan of Irell, so take that as my source of bias maybe.

Wanted to add to this and say that Irell's summer program is definitely unmatched. I summered there fairly recently and the perks were incredible; none of my friends at other firms-- big or small-- had anywhere near as good a time as I did.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Irell has no "unique" problems that are not general big-law problems.

I cannot think of one way in which going to Irell is a negative for someone interested in any type of litigation.

Contrary to popular opinion, Irell does not just do patent litigation. Just because a firm is exceptional in an area of practice doesn't mean it isn't stellar in other practice areas as well.

Lifestyle-wise, I'm not sure I've ever actually heard of a firm as good as Irell. I mean, these people at Irell don't really care where you work from, or where you are for that matter during the day. As long as you get your work done. It is the purest form of meritocracy.

If there's any stress unique to Irell, my best guess would be that it is the stress that comes with knowing that the people you turn in your assignments to expect every single memo/brief to be your best work product. I think that's a good type of stress for a lawyer. And if that deters you from going to Irell, then I'm not sure the legal profession is the ideal choice of career.

Wanted to add to this and say that Irell's summer program is definitely unmatched. I summered there fairly recently and the perks were incredible; none of my friends at other firms-- big or small-- had anywhere near as good a time as I did.

Did you choose to join Irell after your summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, most do (although I don't know what other firms' yields are, I imagine most are pretty high).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, most do (although I don't know what other firms' yields are, I imagine most are pretty high).

Has your experience as a full-time associate been as strong as your summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:32 pm

What are the exit opportunities like from Irell? If not moving to another firm, do litigation folks tend to get in-house positions from Irell?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What were the perks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:39 pm

I've heard Gibson's summer program is pretty awesome too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What were the perks?

Ahem.

snailio

Postby snailio » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:41 pm

Irell fanboy still at werk......ROR

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What were the perks?

Ahem.

sorry, sorry. Well you can go to a (fancy) lunch and dinner literally every single day if you want to. You go to all of the nicest places in the city (and you're right next to Beverly Hills). Most people have to start turning them down near the middle of the summer because it's just too much food. As far as I know they are the only firm that does that. There are also awesome trips. I think now it's Catalina for a weekend, a party in Newport Beach for a few days, and a Disneyland trip in lieu of work. The summer program is also not as rigorous as some others, it's not like you're going to be working late like in some New York firms. I don't think I ever stayed past 6pm. I really don't think there is a better place to be as a summer associate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard Gibson's summer program is pretty awesome too.

Can confirm. I had a blast this summer at GDC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

[/quote][/quote]

What has your experience been like as a full-time associate at Irell?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

[/quote]

What has your experience been like as a full-time associate at Irell?[/quote]

It's been great. You get to do a lot of higher-level work that you wouldn't at larger firms and the cases I've worked on have all been pretty interesting. There's of course some longer nights like at any firm that pays you a lot of money, but the hours are not as bad as comparable firms. The people are great too and being able to work from home has really been nice some days.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What has your experience been like as a full-time associate at Irell?[/quote]

It's been great. You get to do a lot of higher-level work that you wouldn't at larger firms and the cases I've worked on have all been pretty interesting. There's of course some longer nights like at any firm that pays you a lot of money, but the hours are not as bad as comparable firms. The people are great too and being able to work from home has really been nice some days.[/quote]

How do you like the offices? Where do you live and how long is your commute to CC?

Return to “Legal Employment”