Tax: Skadden v. DPW v. STB v. Cleary (v. S&C)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tax: Skadden v. DPW v. STB v. Cleary (v. S&C)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Interested in tax work. Have offers at Skadden, DPW, STB and Cleary (all NYC), and an upcoming callback at S&C (my understanding is that it's tantamount to an offer). Curious to know what, if any, are the differences between the firm tax departments that I wouldn't have been able to sense when visiting the firms. To be honest, although the non-tax attorneys seemed different, the tax attorneys all seemed the same. Probably clicked the best with the Skadden tax people, but I certainly don't fit the ordinary Skadden stereotypes.

Also interested in what differences, if any, there are in exit options between these firms (i.e., different sorts of clients) and flexibility within the firm if I either (a) decide I would like to move out of tax to corporate or (b) want to move into a related niche practice (ERISA, trusts & estates, exempt orgs). Also chances at partnership, although I assume partnership odds at all of them are very low, and any hours differences, although I assume they're pretty similar.

Thoughts/comments?

Anonymous User

Re: Tax: Skadden v. DPW v. STB v. Cleary (v. S&C)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interested in tax work. Have offers at Skadden, DPW, STB and Cleary (all NYC), and an upcoming callback at S&C (my understanding is that it's tantamount to an offer). Curious to know what, if any, are the differences between the firm tax departments that I wouldn't have been able to sense when visiting the firms.

Thoughts/comments?

I can't contribute much since in my opinion Skadden and DPW are on an equal footing and I know nothing about Cleary, but I'd probably cross STB off the list since their tax department is only 7 partners and 15 or so associates in NYC (about half the size of the others). Since you mentioned partnership opportunities, you want to be weary of a place with not too many partners in the intended practice area since it shows a lack of need.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:25 pm

HEY DAVIS POLK

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Davis Polk or Skadden. If you think you may ever want to move to DC, Skadden's tax practice there is outstanding as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Bump. Any more thoughts? Also add S&C to the mix officially.

Was thinking the same as above about STB and its smaller tax department (and Band 2 rating on Chambers), but it seemed to me like the smaller size of the group might be an advantage given the greater exposure to different work that brings. STB is a little unusual for doing so much private equity, too, not sure how that makes tax and tax exit options different.

Return to “Legal Employment”