Did I screw myself for this OCI sesison?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Did I screw myself for this OCI sesison?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm a 2L at a top 25 school. My grades are average, but I'm on the law review staff. I have several years of good work experience in addition to clerking last summer at a small law firm in my area. I have just completed my first round of OCI interviews and so far it hasn't gone well.

My first interviews were with NLJ250 firms in my town. I was rejected by both after the initial OCI. My final interview was today with a mid-sized (50 attorneys) firm. I have a networking connection with one of the named partners at said firm. Nevertheless, I fear the worst.

I showed up to the law school at about four minutes prior to my interview time (mistake 1). I'm a bit (okay, a lot) out of shape. Despite this, I managed to sprint my way up the stairs to the second floor where the interview took place. This was quite entertaining to the group of 1L's receiving a library tour, I'm sure. Just before rounding the corner to my interview room, I stopped to tuck in the front of my shirt (mistake 2, since I'm not sure I fully succeeded). I arrived at the room slightly out of breath and with the slightest hint of forehead sweat (mistake 3).

During the interview, I found myself unable to achieve my usual pleasant intonation. Inadvertently I spoke rather rapidly when answering questions. During one question, I found myself unable to recall the last name of an attorney I had worked with, although I successfully prattled off several others (mistake 4). The interview ended about five minutes before it was supposed to, and because both interviewers stood up to shake hands at the same time, I didn't make the most graceful exit (unable to decide which hand to shake first - mistake 5).

Am I screwed? If so, is there hope for finding employment this summer?

Anonymous User

Re: Did I screw myself for this OCI sesison?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:52 pm

Haha! Chalk it up to a bad day (and an entertaining one, in hindsight), boss, and keep on truckin' through the job search process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 2L at a top 25 school. My grades are average, but I'm on the law review staff. I have several years of good work experience in addition to clerking last summer at a small law firm in my area. I have just completed my first round of OCI interviews and so far it hasn't gone well.

My first interviews were with NLJ250 firms in my town. I was rejected by both after the initial OCI. My final interview was today with a mid-sized (50 attorneys) firm. I have a networking connection with one of the named partners at said firm. Nevertheless, I fear the worst.

I showed up to the law school at about four minutes prior to my interview time (mistake 1). I'm a bit (okay, a lot) out of shape. Despite this, I managed to sprint my way up the stairs to the second floor where the interview took place. This was quite entertaining to the group of 1L's receiving a library tour, I'm sure. Just before rounding the corner to my interview room, I stopped to tuck in the front of my shirt (mistake 2, since I'm not sure I fully succeeded). I arrived at the room slightly out of breath and with the slightest hint of forehead sweat (mistake 3).

During the interview, I found myself unable to achieve my usual pleasant intonation. Inadvertently I spoke rather rapidly when answering questions. During one question, I found myself unable to recall the last name of an attorney I had worked with, although I successfully prattled off several others (mistake 4). The interview ended about five minutes before it was supposed to, and because both interviewers stood up to shake hands at the same time, I didn't make the most graceful exit (unable to decide which hand to shake first - mistake 5).

Am I screwed? If so, is there hope for finding employment this summer?

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:37 pm

This made me laugh (apologies). I'm in good shape, and have also walked into a room out of breath only to immediately be thrown into a conversation and look like a dolt. Definitely always arrive early. Haven't you heard the saying, "If you're early, you're on time; if you're on time, you're late; if you're late, don't even bother showing up"?

Anyways, chin up. At least you're aware of your follies and can correct them next time.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:48 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:This made me laugh (apologies). I'm in good shape, and have also walked into a room out of breath only to immediately be thrown into a conversation and look like a dolt. Definitely always arrive early. Haven't you heard the saying, "If you're early, you're on time; if you're on time, you're late; if you're late, don't even bother showing up"?

Anyways, chin up. At least you're aware of your follies and can correct them next time.

He can correct his follies at his next OCI season :? ?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:54 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:This made me laugh (apologies). I'm in good shape, and have also walked into a room out of breath only to immediately be thrown into a conversation and look like a dolt. Definitely always arrive early. Haven't you heard the saying, "If you're early, you're on time; if you're on time, you're late; if you're late, don't even bother showing up"?

Hopefully it was just one session/interview that this happened at. :P

OP, as you probably already know it isn't looking too good for you at this one office (unless your grades are really outstanding or something).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:58 pm

You also never know. You always feel like more of a moron when you're the one screwing up. Other people often don't think twice about things like this. I know I've gotten job offers at some of the interviews that I felt went poorly and didn't get jobs where I thought I killed the interview; it's impossible to tell what individual people will like about you or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:01 pm

True enough. In retrospect, perhaps it didn't go too badly. I have strong networking ties (some of the firm's commercial clients) at work whispering good things to the partners at this firm, so perhaps that will compensate . . .

adammac17

Postby adammac17 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:11 pm

i honestly think i may have seen this/you lol I was sitting at a table looking up to the interview rooms at the back of the 2nd story of our library? midwestern t25?
hope it came off better than you thought man

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

As far as I know, 2L OCI is not the last opportunity to get an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:34 pm

For biglaw, it pretty much is, based on what TLS says. But, I never know what to believe around here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:53 pm

holdencaulfield wrote: As far as I know, 2L OCI is not the last opportunity to get an interview.

What are the options?

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01 pm

holdencaulfield wrote: As far as I know, 2L OCI is not the last opportunity to get an interview.
Anonymous User wrote:
What are the options?

This is the type mindset that results in graduating with no job lined up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:14 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What are the options?[/quote]

This is the type mindset that results in graduating with no job lined up.[/quote]

How does trying to figure out options to land a job result in not having a job lined up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:16 pm

I ran up double digit flights of steps to a screener and was literally dripping sweat during it, so I feel for you OP. In hindsight I wish I would have just taken the elevator and been a couple minutes late but more composed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What are the options?

How does trying to figure out options to land a job result in not having a job lined up?

Because you are wasting your time looking for something that doesn't exist. See parable of lady looking for coin she dropped in the shadows in the sunny area, because it's brighter there.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What are the options?

Because you are wasting your time looking for something that doesn't exist. See parable of lady looking for coin she dropped in the shadows in the sunny area, because it's brighter there.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I ran up double digit flights of steps to a screener and was literally dripping sweat during it, so I feel for you OP. In hindsight I wish I would have just taken the elevator and been a couple minutes late but more composed.

Did you get the callback or is it too early to tell?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What are the options?

The act of looking for it doesn't ensure that you won't find it. It just means that you are looking in the wrong place. Here, I'm not looking in the wrong place, I'm looking everywhere. However, if it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist. Looking doesn't ensure failure, inevitability of failure ensures failure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The act of looking for it doesn't ensure that you won't find it. It just means that you are looking in the wrong place. Here, I'm not looking in the wrong place, I'm looking everywhere. However, if it doesn't exist, it doesn't exist. Looking doesn't ensure failure, inevitability of failure ensures failure.

Failure not inev. bc there is an alt to looking. Alt is drop out. Do something else, other than looking for legal jobs that don't exist.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I ran up double digit flights of steps to a screener and was literally dripping sweat during it, so I feel for you OP. In hindsight I wish I would have just taken the elevator and been a couple minutes late but more composed.

Did you get the callback or is it too early to tell?

No callback for the sweating one. Did get a CB when I was 4 minutes late to the screener.

Return to “Legal Employment”