Post CB request for transcript = offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post CB request for transcript = offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:14 pm

I did a CB last week and got an email today from a recruiter asking for a copy of my unofficial transcript. I know I submitted one at the screening stage, but I suppose they lost it. Does this mean I'm likely to get an offer, or could it be housekeeping? I will report back later with what happens in case anyone else has this question in the future.

fathergoose

Re: Post CB request for transcript = offer?

Postby fathergoose » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:17 pm

This is pure conjecture but if you were a shoe in, I don't think they would ask for a transcript. I'd wager you are on the bubble and they want to look more closely at what classes you did well in relative to the other person.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:25 pm

OP here - it is funny that you mention that. It reminded me that a partner I interviewed with there remarked that s/he thinks a particular 1L class grade is the best predictor of success, and then looked over my transcript, which showed that was my lowest grade out of all my classes. Kind of made for an awkward moment. And also disorganized that the partner has my grades and the recruiter doesn't

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:35 pm

out of curiousity, what class does he or she think is the most predictive of success?

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:out of curiousity, what class does he or she think is the most predictive of success?

I'm interested in knowing too.

Is it Legal Writing or Contracts? Those would seem the logical ones, as the other classes are only worthwhile for certain people, but not for everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:42 pm

dougroberts wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:out of curiousity, what class does he or she think is the most predictive of success?

Is it Legal Writing or Contracts? Those would seem the logical ones, as the other classes are only worthwhile for certain people, but not for everyone.

Civil procedure for litigators. A few interviewers have said that is most important to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dougroberts wrote:

Civil procedure for litigators. A few interviewers have said that is most important to me.

I would think that it would either be ConLaw or CivPro because, at least IMO, they are the most cerebral (for lack of a better word) and complex, respectively, out of the 1L curriculum.

I'm gonna laugh if its Torts though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dougroberts wrote:

I would think that it would either be ConLaw or CivPro because, at least IMO, they are the most cerebral (for lack of a better word) and complex, respectively, out of the 1L curriculum.

I'm gonna laugh if its Torts though.

During my summer this year the only class that mattered was civil procedure and it mattered to almost every case. Cases don't often go to trial, it is all about positioning the cases for settlement and positioning is all determined by civil procedure. The other classes do not add much to your daily activities. When doing any other subject you have to look up specific law whereas civil procedure's big picture issues need a foundation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:55 pm

OP here - the partner in question said contracts. I thought it was silly. The partner is a corporate lawyer and I have told everyone I interviewed with I want litigation. I thought it would be silly to judge me on K's, esp when I booked Civ Pro, which I bet is more important for lit.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - the partner in question said contracts. I thought it was silly. The partner is a corporate lawyer and I have told everyone I interviewed with I want litigation. I thought it would be silly to judge me on K's, esp when I booked Civ Pro, which I bet is more important for lit.

Litigators will read contracts, and will sue based on contract claims, and will have contracts for settlements (even if drafted by a corporate lawyer), so I can see this. As an SA this past summer, many if not most litigation cases involved a contract of some sort. But of course, if the interviewer was a corporate lawyer, he may be a bit biased in favor of Contracts.

Also, to answer your question, I think the above post is correct -- they probably need more info on you to make a decision one way or the other. It does not mean you automatically have an offer, but good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:01 pm

fathergoose wrote:This is pure conjecture but if you were a shoe in, I don't think they would ask for a transcript. I'd wager you are on the bubble and they want to look more closely at what classes you did well in relative to the other person.

I've gotten a request for a transcript in much the same fashion as the OP. I sent it, and <15 minutes later, I had an offer. I know I submitted one to the firm as part of OCI, not sure why they needed it.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:20 pm

You're trying to read way too much into what is probably just an administrative request. Most likely, they are simply missing your unofficial transcript from your file and need to have a complete file to submit to the hiring committee.

Return to “Legal Employment”