Minority Fairs Tally

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:38 am

I think we should all list the fairs we attended followed by how many screener you received, how many callbacks came from those screeners and finally how many offers you received from those callbacks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:51 am

Bay Area Diversity Career Fair
7 Screeners
1 CB
1 Offer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:24 am

DuPont + Sunbelt

15 screeners
3 CB's
I cancelled the CB's after receiving offers through OCI.

My impression is that firms take the minority job fairs less seriously than OCI (especially DuPont). I did significantly better through OCI.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:53 am

Might also help to post school and grade range plus what type of minority, or even if you are a minority.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:58 am

18 screeners between Vault, Arizona Disabilities, and Rockies. One CB with a No. Three other dings. No word from the other 14. I would agree that at the least, the courtesy response rate is far worse from non-OCI events. One firm "forgot" they had interviewed me at an event and called me to do another screening with the same office as if I had never met with them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:15 screeners
3 CB's
I cancelled the CB's after receiving offers through OCI.

Grizz wrote:Might also help to post school and grade range plus what type of minority, or even if you are a minority.


School: 30-60
Top 10% + LR.
URM

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:08 pm

T20. Median.

Western Region BLSA

4 screening interviews, 2 rejection, 2 pending

Northeast BLSA

5 screening interviews, 3 rejections, 2 pending

Cook County Bar Association

7 screening interviews, 2 rejections, 2 callbacks, 3 pending

Minnesota Minority Recruiting

5 screening interviews, 3 rejections, 2 pending

Boston Lawyers Group

2 interviews, 2 rejections

Also had a much higher success at OCI and mass mailing. Minority fairs just don't seems serious. And they cost a lot of money to get to just to have an associate that has no say in anything interviewing. The worst in my opinion are the BLSA job fairs. Real wastes of time.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:18 screeners between Vault, Arizona Disabilities, and Rockies. One CB with a No. Three other dings. No word from the other 14. I would agree that at the least, the courtesy response rate is far worse from non-OCI events. One firm "forgot" they had interviewed me at an event and called me to do another screening with the same office as if I had never met with them.


T14
Median GPA
Minor disability candidate

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:18 screeners between Vault, Arizona Disabilities, and Rockies. One CB with a No. Three other dings. No word from the other 14. I would agree that at the least, the courtesy response rate is far worse from non-OCI events. One firm "forgot" they had interviewed me at an event and called me to do another screening with the same office as if I had never met with them.


T14
Median GPA
Minor disability candidate

Got a callback today from a fair screening from five weeks ago. I guess miracles can happen.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:18 screeners between Vault, Arizona Disabilities, and Rockies. One CB with a No. Three other dings. No word from the other 14. I would agree that at the least, the courtesy response rate is far worse from non-OCI events. One firm "forgot" they had interviewed me at an event and called me to do another screening with the same office as if I had never met with them.


T14
Median GPA
Minor disability candidate

Got a callback today from a fair screening from five weeks ago. I guess miracles can happen.


mind saying what firm?? or what fair? stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:49 pm

BLSA Fairs:

11 screening interviews - 3 rejections, 6 pending, 2 callbacks.

I don't have too much hope for the pending firms because I think no news doesn't necessarily mean good news after screening interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T20. Median.

Western Region BLSA

4 screening interviews, 2 rejection, 2 pending

Northeast BLSA

5 screening interviews, 3 rejections, 2 pending

Cook County Bar Association

7 screening interviews, 2 rejections, 2 callbacks, 3 pending

Minnesota Minority Recruiting

5 screening interviews, 3 rejections, 2 pending

Boston Lawyers Group

2 interviews, 2 rejections

Also had a much higher success at OCI and mass mailing. Minority fairs just don't seems serious. And they cost a lot of money to get to just to have an associate that has no say in anything interviewing. The worst in my opinion are the BLSA job fairs. Real wastes of time.



what region are you in? i've found that a lot of firms from outside of your home/school region will interview you for a screener at these fairs, but won't think twice about sending you a rejection letter simply because you're out of their region and they feel you're not committed to the area and thus the firm.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Grizz » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BLSA Fairs:

11 screening interviews - 3 rejections, 6 pending, 2 callbacks.

I don't have too much hope for the pending firms because I think no news doesn't necessarily mean good news after screening interviews.

Grizz wrote:Might also help to post school and grade range plus what type of minority, or even if you are a minority.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Competitive URMS have smashing success with these diversity fairs. If you go to a T9 and have well above median grades and are URM these fairs are quite useful. Honestly, I don't feel like you are gonna really outperform your credentials coming in though. I would advise future URMs to apply a multi-pronged test before attending these fairs...

(1) are your credentials so good that you are going to max out available interviews through your OCI?
(2) are your credentials (including school) so bad that you aren't going to have many/any interviews at your OCI?
(3) is the cost of travel and lodging not going to be burdensome for you to attend these fairs?
(4) is there a bidding mechanism at the fair or is your resume passed around (think DuPont)?

The more "yeses" you have the more likely it is that you should attend the fair. I went to several fairs and had lots of success but I did not outperform my creds (aka if I interviewed w/ these firms at OCI I would expect similar results).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Competitive URMS have smashing success with these diversity fairs. If you go to a T9 and have well above median grades and are URM these fairs are quite useful. Honestly, I don't feel like you are gonna really outperform your credentials coming in though. I would advise future URMs to apply a multi-pronged test before attending these fairs...

(1) are your credentials so good that you are going to max out available interviews through your OCI?
(2) are your credentials (including school) so bad that you aren't going to have many/any interviews at your OCI?
(3) is the cost of travel and lodging not going to be burdensome for you to attend these fairs?
(4) is there a bidding mechanism at the fair or is your resume passed around (think DuPont)?

The more "yeses" you have the more likely it is that you should attend the fair. I went to several fairs and had lots of success but I did not outperform my creds (aka if I interviewed w/ these firms at OCI I would expect similar results).


That's really what it comes down to. I think the problem is that minority fairs aren't much of an opportunity because if you were successful their you would most likely be successful at your own OCI in a market that is probably your primary interest. Lots of people from T10 schools and get a ridiculous amount of callbacks. The moral of the story is that they are just not that great of an opportunity. Better than nothing. If you don't have the grades to be successful at your school's OCI, minority fairs are probably not going to help you.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby desertlaw » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Competitive URMS have smashing success with these diversity fairs. If you go to a T9 and have well above median grades and are URM these fairs are quite useful. Honestly, I don't feel like you are gonna really outperform your credentials coming in though. I would advise future URMs to apply a multi-pronged test before attending these fairs...

(1) are your credentials so good that you are going to max out available interviews through your OCI?
(2) are your credentials (including school) so bad that you aren't going to have many/any interviews at your OCI?
(3) is the cost of travel and lodging not going to be burdensome for you to attend these fairs?
(4) is there a bidding mechanism at the fair or is your resume passed around (think DuPont)?

The more "yeses" you have the more likely it is that you should attend the fair. I went to several fairs and had lots of success but I did not outperform my creds (aka if I interviewed w/ these firms at OCI I would expect similar results).



Thanks Justice O'Connor. Glad you've joined TLS after leaving the high court.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:42 pm

Thought I'd add to this:

Impact Career Fair in DC (disability):
6 interviews
1 offer (probably gonna jump on it since I want to work there)
2 rejections
3 pending

I'm in the top 1/3rd of my class but at a school ranked somewhere around 80 or so I think.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 pm

LavLaw / T30

5 table talk screeners
1 cb
*PLEASE DEAR GOD GIVE ME AN OFFER*

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:41 pm

T25, Top 10% + LR

MMRC:
7 Interviews
4 Callbacks
2 Offers

Dupont:
4 Interviews
4 Rejections

CCBA
6 Interviews
1 Callback
5 Rejections

St Louis Diversity Fair
4 Interviews
4 Rejections

Vault Diversity Fair
2 Interviews
1 Callback
1 Rejection

So it looks like those diversity fairs aren't a great source of callbacks. Easy to get interviews though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 pm

T14 top 40%

NEBLSA Job Fair
17 screeners
10 CBs
did not go on any of the CBs

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:33 pm

CBA:
8 screeners
1 cb

BLSA:
10 screeners
0 cbs

T25, above median

Anonymous User
Posts: 273137
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Minority Fairs Tally

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:49 am

T14 Median.

Lavender Law. 12-15 table talks, 4 cbs.

Went on 2 of them.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.