Tips/Thoughts on Dewey & LeBoeuf interviews?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tips/Thoughts on Dewey & LeBoeuf interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 pm

My search didn't pull up a lot about this firm on TLS. I would love to hear any insight into interviews with D&L, thoughts on the atmosphere, etc.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Tips/Thoughts on Dewey & LeBoeuf interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My search didn't pull up a lot about this firm on TLS. I would love to hear any insight into interviews with D&L, thoughts on the atmosphere, etc.

Thanks!

Very friendly people, great media law division. Recently underwent a merger (Dewey & Ballantine/LeBoeuf et al).

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:00 am

Very friendly firm. Definitely know about the merger - happened in 07, dust has settled down and it looks like the firm is on the rise, ranked very high in amlaw midlevel satisfaction survey recently. They are big in insurance regulatory and sports litigation. One thing they are very very proud of is their commitment to diversity and pro bono - other firms say they are committed to pro bono, but Dewey actually means it; last year 98% of their associates averaged more than 200 hours each of pro bono work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:41 am

My interview there went great. I was interviewing for the DC office and their antitrust department is looking very cool as were their offices overall.

I had a good time, and was able to meet with only the two practice groups I was interested in. Very social bunch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My interview there went great. I was interviewing for the DC office and their antitrust department is looking very cool as were their offices overall.

I had a good time, and was able to meet with only the two practice groups I was interested in. Very social bunch.

Hm...just got rejected form there, so maybe it didn't go that well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:02 am

Anyone have an answer/timeline from NY? Hated their super interview day but I'd just like to move on at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an answer/timeline from NY? Hated their super interview day but I'd just like to move on at this point.

What did you dislike about it? What made it different from a normal callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have an answer/timeline from NY? Hated their super interview day but I'd just like to move on at this point.

I get that organizing 20 some people to all have their callback at once makes sense for the firm but the whole thing felt rushed and like I didn't get a sense of the firm. every interview I had was interrupted by some HR type person trying to keep the whole day on schedule. they didn't match me with any practice area I'd be interested in. it felt like OCI part two, and like all law students are completely interchangable commodities to them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:16 am

The NY office is enormous - and feels that big when you go to interview. When I had a callback there, they were doing as a "Super Interview Day" (no joke), where they invited like 100 kids from various schools and had them eat lunch and then do their callbacks all at the same time. We broke up into groups of 4 to be led around by a shepherd, I mean coordinator, to each of our interviews. To D&L's credit, they didn't hide the ball about being a huge NY office. They basically said "this is what we are - we're big, we handle big matters, and some people are going to make it here and some aren't. If you don't like that kind of atmosphere, this isn't the place for you." The people I met with were very nice, but the office was just too large and impersonal for me - I was like interviewee #73 for the day, and if I worked there I'd be junior associate #342. But that environment works for some people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Different poster, but it was like pulling teeth trying to converse with half of the interviewers when I was there. I really liked the hiring partner I met, but felt neutral/negative about the others. I was honestly happy when they mailed me a rejection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:57 am

azntwice wrote:Very friendly firm. Definitely know about the merger - happened in 07, dust has settled down and it looks like the firm is on the rise, ranked very high in amlaw midlevel satisfaction survey recently. They are big in insurance regulatory and sports litigation. One thing they are very very proud of is their commitment to diversity and pro bono - other firms say they are committed to pro bono, but Dewey actually means it; last year 98% of their associates averaged more than 200 hours each of pro bono work.

I know an associate at D&L, who says that while your pro bono work will count towards your billable hour requirements, it won't help (and might hurt) your advancement in the firm hierarchy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:38 am

Very interesting about the super interview days. Other than being large, does anyone else know about the prevailing culture and work environment? Vault makes the firm seem like less of a "sweat shop" than some peer firms. Wondering if anyone can provide some insight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Very interesting about the super interview days. Other than being large, does anyone else know about the prevailing culture and work environment? Vault makes the firm seem like less of a "sweat shop" than some peer firms. Wondering if anyone can provide some insight.

i spent a summer there and i definitely didn't think it was a sweatshop for the summers at least. everyone seemed to feel like they were being given work in the practice areas they wanted and that their time constraints were being taken into account. also, the firm was very transparent and open about firm health and growth, whether people will get offers, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:37 pm

i did the super interview day last friday. anyone know how long after those days decisions usually go out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:30 pm

any movement from dewey?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any movement from dewey?

got an offer this morning...interview on friday 9/9.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Bump. Has anyone heard anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i did the super interview day last friday. anyone know how long after those days decisions usually go out?

got the offer yesterday morning (9/14).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i did the super interview day last friday. anyone know how long after those days decisions usually go out?

Are you the same anon who mentioned an offer a couple of posts back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:44 pm

has anyone gotten a post-cb ding? and if so, how long after your interview? i'm exactly a week out now, no word. :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:38 am

Does anyone have any idea about their callback to offer ratio?

Good luck everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Are you the same anon who mentioned an offer a couple of posts back?

nope. but anyway, turned down the offer, so hopefully there is another spot for some of the other 9/9 interviewers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Dewey offer dinner tonight - anybody?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:32 pm

Does an offer usually say it's contingent on maintaining grades and ask you to send them a transcript every semester?

Return to “Legal Employment”