Jones Day NY CB

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:40 pm

this week. what to expect? any advice? this is my last callback / chance at big law so i really need to kill it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:14 pm

From what I've heard, they really want to know why you like jones day in particular. Very proud of their culture (which is great) and want people who are genuinely excited about the firm itself rather than just a Job in general. I'd talk about the new lawyers group too, which is one of their big selling points.

Good luck, I hope it works out!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From what I've heard, they really want to know why you like jones day in particular.


I second this. At my screener interview, the issue the interviewer kept coming back to was "why Jones Day in particular?" I didn't do enough research prior to the interview, and thus was not able to answer this question very well, and (unsurprisingly) was dinged.

Really try to play up any edge that Jones Day has over other biglaw firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:57 pm

OP. thanks guys.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I've heard, they really want to know why you like jones day in particular.


I second this. At my screener interview, the issue the interviewer kept coming back to was "why Jones Day in particular?" I didn't do enough research prior to the interview, and thus was not able to answer this question very well, and (unsurprisingly) was dinged.

Really try to play up any edge that Jones Day has over other biglaw firms.


Can you mention their unique individualized/merit based compensation approach and how that is attractive. Making it more about getting rewarded for hard work. Or does this come across as too focused on salary.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From what I've heard, they really want to know why you like jones day in particular.


I second this. At my screener interview, the issue the interviewer kept coming back to was "why Jones Day in particular?" I didn't do enough research prior to the interview, and thus was not able to answer this question very well, and (unsurprisingly) was dinged.

Really try to play up any edge that Jones Day has over other biglaw firms.


Can you mention their unique individualized/merit based compensation approach and how that is attractive. Making it more about getting rewarded for hard work. Or does this come across as too focused on salary.

Definitely mention it -- its a big thing for them (though maybe only bring it up with partners, I've heard some associates say they hate it).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:06 pm

So it wouldn't be a good idea to talk about the compensation structure with associates? Why do they hate it?

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So it wouldn't be a good idea to talk about the compensation structure with associates? Why do they hate it?

You can talk about it if it comes up, I was just saying that some associates feel like it allows the firm to underpay them without getting called out in ATL. Other associates bill more, and get paid more. However, its the partners who created the system (and thus consider a source of pride for the firm), and therefore its safer to talk about it with them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Anyone have any clue about how much less associates make due to this system? What about partners?

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Sup Kid » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any clue about how much less associates make due to this system? What about partners?

My understanding is that it starts at $160k for first years, then it goes up (or down) based on your "contribution to the firm" (ie. billable hours). However, the point of the black box salary is that you don't know what other associates are making. Also, no idea about partners.

From ATL:

Salaries at the firm are not lockstep and are based on a merit system, with factors such as hours billed, quality of work, pro bono, business development, and overall contribution being considered in salary determinations. The firm is unapologetic about its relatively “opaque” compensation model and enjoys pointing out examples of other firms mimicking Jones Day’s compensation model. Starting salaries for first-year associates vary by office location, with offices in major legal markets at $160,000, and offices in smaller markets at $145,000. The firm does not award lump-sum bonuses separate from salaries; it instead spaces out bonus amounts over the course of the year by incorporating them into associates' salaries. The reasoning behind the firm’s unique compensation system is to compensate associates in the same manner as its partners, by providing a share of the firm’s earnings commensurate to the associate’s contributions to the firm. Lateral Link Members differ in their take on the unusual compensation system, with some saying it allows for the "possibility of significantly above-market salaries," while others say it is a "black-box compensation system" and there appears to be "no correlation to hours billed or quality of that year's review and the [salary] amount received." Another associate points out that while lack of transparency has its disadvantages, “the retention in our group has been extremely high, so presumably, associates all feel adequately compensated.”

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:13 pm

think their NY office cares about thank u notes?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Any one know when the hiring committee meets for the NY office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any one know when the hiring committee meets for the NY office?


no idea, but interview was last monday and still havent heard.. waiting for my ding now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:42 pm

Interview 9/12. Ding received today dated 9/16. FML.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:00 pm

School/stats? How did you think the cb went?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School/stats? How did you think the cb went?


I'm at a lower ranked regional school in NY, T10%. I have no idea how to interview apparently so I can't tell you anything about that.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any one know when the hiring committee meets for the NY office?



also want to know this, or any info on cb-offer turnarounds...pretty please.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Jones Day NY CB

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Anyone hear anything today?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.