I struck out Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jessedvhs

Bronze

Re: I struck out

Post by jessedvhs » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:23 pm

bjsesq wrote:
jessedvhs wrote:6th stanza of the Ranger creed
Don't come on here spouting shit about ranger school or batt. This isn't the place.

I'm not spouting anything and pointed motivation is always the right place for a thread like this. Should anybody really get behind quitting law school because you didn't do well at your OCI? That's f**king stupid and a waste of money.

Displaying intestinal fortitude to achieve your objective goals (law school if you like) is something anybody should agree with. An Army unit just decided to put that into a creed that you have to memorize, recite, and apply to your unit and military profession. For me, it's better than the million of self help books that are out there and it's applicable to any life obstacle. Given your experience, you, if anybody should agree with that.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:28 pm

jessedvhs wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Don't come on here spouting shit about ranger school or batt. This isn't the place.

I'm not spouting anything and pointed motivation is always the right place for a thread like this. Should anybody really get behind quitting law school because you didn't do well at your OCI? That's f**king stupid and a waste of money.

Displaying intestinal fortitude to achieve your objective goals (law school if you like) is something anybody should agree with. An Army unit just decided to put that into a creed that you have to memorize, recite, and apply to your unit and military profession. For me, it's better than the million of self help books that are out there and it's applicable to any life obstacle. Given your experience, you, if anybody should agree with that.
A waste of money is wanting to pursue biglaw, striking out at OCI, and then pursuing another 100k in debt because you "refuse to quit." Not everything from batt is applicable to life here.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:36 pm

bjsesq wrote:
jessedvhs wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

A waste of money is wanting to pursue biglaw, striking out at OCI, and then pursuing another 100k in debt because you "refuse to quit." Not everything from batt is applicable to life here.
tcr

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:56 pm

bjsesq wrote:
jessedvhs wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

If you bow out, then forget about giving it another go. haha. I'm not condoning that. But while you are 2 years into it, maybe you should see it through and look into why the interviews didn't go well. Maybe your interviewing skills stink and you should work on that. Mine certainly did after first coming out of the service. The job market sucks in nearly any region and for any profession (especially with no previous experience). Maybe the firms aren't really hiring this cycle. It could be a number of factors.

To me, this thread reads less and less like real motivation to be a lawyer and the desire to do some hustling to get there, regardless if the spoon fed interviews didn't go his way. I can only speculate. Who knows?
Did you make Rendezvous in Savannah this year?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:14 pm

jessedvhs wrote:If you bow out, then forget about giving it another go. haha. I'm not condoning that. But while you are 2 years into it, maybe you should see it through and look into why the interviews didn't go well. Maybe your interviewing skills stink and you should work on that. Mine certainly did after first coming out of the service. The job market sucks in nearly any region and for any profession (especially with no previous experience). Maybe the firms aren't really hiring this cycle. It could be a number of factors.

To me, this thread reads less and less like real motivation to be a lawyer and the desire to do some hustling to get there, regardless if the spoon fed interviews didn't go his way. I can only speculate. Who knows?
Did you make Rendezvous in Savannah this year?
The question is: do you want to look back on your mistakes with 6 figures in debt, or 5? The difference can be huge.

I dind't get the chance to go to rendezvous and it frustrates me. It was held at Benning when I was there, and Benning sucks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm gonna strike out. Hasn't officially happened yet but I can feel it coming.

Zero debt now, can graduate in 2 more years with zero debt.

Don't really think I want to practice other than biglaw.

High opportunity cost of staying, plus the not-insignificant out of pocket costs of 2 more years of lol school, vs. the lifetime benefit(ha?) of a DNCG JD.

Ideas?

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Basically median. A little above.

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm gonna strike out. Hasn't officially happened yet but I can feel it coming.

Zero debt now, can graduate in 2 more years with zero debt.

Don't really think I want to practice other than biglaw.

High opportunity cost of staying, plus the not-insignificant out of pocket costs of 2 more years of lol school, vs. the lifetime benefit(ha?) of a DNCG JD.

Ideas?
"Think" is the big take away from this for me. Maybe you might not enjoy Biglaw and be happier and more effective in another area. An idea would be to stop looking at the legal industry and profession with blinders on. Personally, I think you need to do some soul searching and decide if you would be happy practicing law. If you have minimal debt and can afford it maybe look into a dual grad degree and make yourself more marketable. You've earned your spot at the LS and I'd see it through even if the short amount of interviews you had didn't pan out.
Next, I'm going to start quoting Robert Tepper lyrics...

bjsesq, Benning and Columbus were pretty bad in general. The best part about it was Atlanta. However, that Irish-type pub on Broadway was pretty fun at times.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:13 pm

jessedvhs wrote:bjsesq, Benning and Columbus were pretty bad in general. The best part about it was Atlanta. However, that Irish-type pub on Broadway was pretty fun at times.
The Canon? It was ok, I guess. I actually loved the Firehouse before the drug dealers settled in there. As to the best places to party around that area:

1. PC Beach during spring break (SO... MUCH... VAGINA)
2. ATL
3. Auburn

All great times, with Auburn and PC being a bit more seasonal than ATL's year round awesomeness.

Chief Justice Cooley

New

Post by Chief Justice Cooley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:44 pm

I really haven't got any other options, so i'm leaning on just finishing the JD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Advice to a strike-out with top grades at a lower T1 and the only other legitimate option is top-tier medical school, and thus $300k+ total debt?

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Advice to a strike-out with top grades at a lower T1 and the only other legitimate option is top-tier medical school, and thus $300k+ total debt?
lolwut?

why in the world would you take a lower T1 over ANY medical school, let alone a top-tier medical school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:49 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Advice to a strike-out with top grades at a lower T1 and the only other legitimate option is top-tier medical school, and thus $300k+ total debt?
lolwut?

why in the world would you take a lower T1 over ANY medical school, let alone a top-tier medical school?
Because I hate whining patients. If they'd just shut up and let me fix them, I'd find the job bearable.

Edit: Actually, the whining patient's whining family is worse.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
lolwut?

Because I hate whining patients. If they'd just shut up and let me fix them, I'd find the job bearable.

Edit: Actually, the whining patient's whining family is worse.
You like whining CEOs and CTOs better? Who do you think lawyers work with all day? Being a lawyer is like being a doctor, except you don't have to handle someone's LITERAL junk. You're likely going to be yelled at by partners at your firm, opposing counsel, AND your client while you're a lawyer. When you're a doctor, you usually only get yelled at by patients and the rest of your office is there to support you. If you screw up when you're a doc, you get some lame ass attorney + insurance company to clean up the mess.

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:55 pm

bjsesq wrote:
jessedvhs wrote:bjsesq, Benning and Columbus were pretty bad in general. The best part about it was Atlanta. However, that Irish-type pub on Broadway was pretty fun at times.
The Canon? It was ok, I guess. I actually loved the Firehouse before the drug dealers settled in there. As to the best places to party around that area:

2. ATL
3. Auburn

All great times, with Auburn and PC being a bit more seasonal than ATL's year round awesomeness.
I feel like I was shadowing you guys -- OCS at Benning ('04) then Hunter AAF doing MI from '06-'08...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:56 pm

nymario wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

2. ATL
3. Auburn

I feel like I was shadowing you guys -- OCS at Benning ('04) then Hunter AAF doing MI from '06-'08...
Ha. You showed up as I was leaving. I don't miss Benning a bit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
You like whining CEOs and CTOs better? Who do you think lawyers work with all day? Being a lawyer is like being a doctor, except you don't have to handle someone's LITERAL junk. You're likely going to be yelled at by partners at your firm, opposing counsel, AND your client while you're a lawyer. When you're a doctor, you usually only get yelled at by patients and the rest of your office is there to support you. If you screw up when you're a doc, you get some lame ass attorney + insurance company to clean up the mess.
Law students paint an overly rosy picture of medical practice. I chose law because I'd rather sit in an office than play guidance counselor to patients as they sh** themselves repeatedly. Not to mention ridiculously short training time and biglaw hours, which are cake by comparison to resident hours.

ITE is the only reason I'd ever second-guess my decision to choose law over medicine. And ITE is getting worse instead of better.

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:24 pm

nymario wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

2. ATL
3. Auburn

SOAR or 1/75?
I missed out on the "lock down" aspect of the POI of OCS with the blue helmets (went through in 06) but did have to wear horrendous ascots and recite the dumb song on the regular, especially while in the chow line.

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:34 pm

jessedvhs wrote:
nymario wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

2. ATL
3. Auburn

SOAR or 1/75?
I missed out on the "lock down" aspect of the POI of OCS with the blue helmets (went through in 06) but did have to wear horrendous ascots and recite the dumb song on the regular, especially while in the chow line.
224 MI Bn -- not a ranger. don't hate. Helmets were gone by '04, but of course we still had the ascots and the songs and the memorization and the dfac procedures. I got the OPORD from the DFAC in week 2 -- what up alphatraz? - Capt Moncrief, Sir, Basic Officer Candidate [name] requests permission to enter the forbidden zone to retrieve Basic Officer Candidate [DFAC Officer, who later went AWOL] and the Daily Operation Order.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:25 pm

nymario wrote:Daily Operation Order.
:evil:

Fuck an Op Order, fuck a warning order, fuck a patrol base. FUCK ALL THAT SHIT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Eco

Bronze

Post by Eco » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:12 pm

You will find something. If you don't get an SA this summer, intern somewhere, get experience, and get a job when you graduate.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Eco wrote:You will find something. If you don't get an SA this summer, intern somewhere, get experience, and get a job when you graduate.
Why does the possibility of being unemployed after graduation despite one's best efforts seem so far-fetched to you? I don't think it's as simple as interning, getting experience and getting a job when you graduate.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Eco wrote:You will find something. If you don't get an SA this summer, intern somewhere, get experience, and get a job when you graduate.
Why does the possibility of being unemployed after graduation despite one's best efforts seem so far-fetched to you? I don't think it's as simple as interning, getting experience and getting a job when you graduate.
I have no problem imagining many, including those posting on this forum will face unemployment/underemployment. I do find it odd that many of those with no other obvious talents or experience think that things will be somehow tremendously better as a drop out.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:52 pm

haus wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
I have no problem imagining many, including those posting on this forum will face unemployment/underemployment. I do find it odd that many of those with no other obvious talents or experience think that things will be somehow tremendously better as a drop out.
Continuing involves opportunity costs and additional debt. It also creates a longer gap which is harder to explain and if it doesn't work out, he/she also has to explain to employers why a person with a JD cannot get a job as a lawyer or just "go solo" etc. Additionally, some may view him/her as a flight risk.

Then again, striking out is not the end of the world and people sometimes recover. I'm not arguing for staying or quitting, I don't know his/her situation in its entirety, I'm just saying it's not that simple nor is quitting necessarily a bad move.

The irony is that the tendency to continue due to lack of alternatives is partly responsible for the glut to begin with. It's what drives all the people with undergrad degrees in "certain majors" to go on to law school. Others enroll in graduate programs whose employment prospects are so low, those who go to law school are overcharged to subsidize the education of those who go to graduate school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”