Is it cool to NOT send a thank you email? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it cool to NOT send a thank you email?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:10 pm

I feel like my acceptance/rejection is more or less sealed no matter what I do. I just want to make sure not sending anything is not a faux pas. I've been told sending an email to one or more interviewers can be nice if personalized. But that's it.

luthersloan

Bronze

Re: Is it cool to NOT send a thank you email?

Post by luthersloan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:16 pm

It is totally cool, at NYU we had a panel of hiring partners and to a man they said don't send thank you notes. Don't worry about it man.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I feel like my acceptance/rejection is more or less sealed no matter what I do. I just want to make sure not sending anything is not a faux pas. I've been told sending an email to one or more interviewers can be nice if personalized. But that's it.
Seriously? Why would you not want to thank someone for their time? I would definitely personalize the thank yous and I don't think you have to send them to everyone -- but definitely the recruiter and probably the partner you interviewed with. How would sending a thank you ever leave a BAD impression? I've gotten a lot of positive responses from thank you notes I've sent, and I've gotten three offers so far, so I hardly see how it can hurt you. Good manners are always appreciated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I feel like my acceptance/rejection is more or less sealed no matter what I do. I just want to make sure not sending anything is not a faux pas. I've been told sending an email to one or more interviewers can be nice if personalized. But that's it.
Seriously? Why would you not want to thank someone for their time? I would definitely personalize the thank yous and I don't think you have to send them to everyone -- but definitely the recruiter and probably the partner you interviewed with. How would sending a thank you ever leave a BAD impression? I've gotten a lot of positive responses from thank you notes I've sent, and I've gotten three offers so far, so I hardly see how it can hurt you. Good manners are always appreciated.
Our CSO recommends against it. I never sent any, have done quite well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:37 am

can't hurt, unless you're an idiot and mess up person's name, etc. stop being lazy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote: Good manners are always appreciated.
Anonymous User wrote:can't hurt, unless you're an idiot and mess up person's name, etc. stop being lazy
Not necessarily true. I was told by a recruiter at a callback that there were partners in the office who really hate getting thankyou notes, and that I should definitely not send them. That was only one firm, but it goes to show that not everyone wants or appreciates them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:can't hurt, unless you're an idiot and mess up person's name, etc. stop being lazy
Not necessarily true. I was told by a recruiter at a callback that there were partners in the office who really hate getting thankyou notes, and that I should definitely not send them. That was only one firm, but it goes to show that not everyone wants or appreciates them.
Yeah, an associate at one of my callbacks at a V15 told me nearly the exact same thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
and I got a nice email back from a partner that I interviewed with at a v5, which I then got an offer from.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
and I got a nice email back from a partner that I interviewed with at a v5, which I then got an offer from.
Wow, dude. It must have been your thank-you e-mail that sealed the deal!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
hmm guess that refutes my point. But, if there are partners who don't like thank you notes, then i'm not sure they're the type of people i'd want to work with...

edit: or rather if there are partners who "hate" thank you notes
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, an associate at one of my callbacks at a V15 told me nearly the exact same thing.
You honestly think that a firm would not give you an offer because you sent a thank you note? That's stupid.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Right. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying it isn't necessarily true that it can't hurt. On the other hand, I don't think NOT thanking someone is likely to hurt you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wow, dude. It must have been your thank-you e-mail that sealed the deal!
I was simply providing an alternative viewpoint.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You honestly think that a firm would not give you an offer because you sent a thank you note? That's stupid.
Because that's exactly what I said!

--ImageRemoved--

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote: I was simply providing an alternative viewpoint.
Alternative point of view to "some partners don't like thank-you emails" = "some dude replied to my e-mail and I got an offer at his firm!" ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
hmm guess that refutes my point. But, if there are partners who don't like thank you notes, then i'm not sure they're the type of people i'd want to work with...

The particular partner I was warned about was friendly and personable, he apparently just thinks it is kind of obnoxious and a ridiculous waste of time to send thank you notes in this context. I don't think it speaks poorly of him or the firm's culture at all.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote: You honestly think that a firm would not give you an offer because you sent a thank you note? That's stupid.
It's likely just as stupid as the belief that sending a thank you note can get you an offer. That being said, I don't think it can hurt to send one, if it's perfect. That's a decently-sized if, however. One typo in 6-8 thank you notes likely results in a net negative for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:52 am

I got the impression with Texas firms I've been interviewing at, where ties matter a ton, and so does interest, because the same 10 students are interviewing everywhere, that thank you notes can mean a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:57 am

Just a 2L here. If I'm ever interviewing someone in biglawl, I will ding anyone who doesn't send a TY note.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just a 2L here. If I'm ever interviewing someone in biglawl, I will ding anyone who doesn't send a TY note.
+1 except for the fact that I will ding anyone who does send one.

Julio_El_Chavo

Silver

Post by Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:59 am

The vast overwhelming majority of interviewers I spoke with at my firm this summer said thank you notes don't matter at all and the only people who said they DID matter were people who had received EXTREMELY personalized emails after MEMORABLE interviews.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just a 2L here. If I'm ever interviewing someone in biglawl, I will ding anyone who doesn't send a TY note.
I have this great image of you, as a Biglaw partner, ignoring your piles of work, staring at your Outlook, waiting for a thank you note.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The particular partner I was warned about was friendly and personable, he apparently just thinks it is kind of obnoxious and a ridiculous waste of time to send thank you notes in this context. I don't think it speaks poorly of him or the firm's culture at all.
A ridiculous waste of time? It literally takes all of a couple minutes to write, and even less time than that to read.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:02 am

I got multiple offers from V10 firms and didn't send a single thank you post-callback. I only wrote to/called the partner who gave me the offer. Thank-yous are a waste of time unless you have something important to say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I got multiple offers from V10 firms and didn't send a single thank you post-callback. I only wrote to/called the partner who gave me the offer. Thank-yous are a waste of time unless you have something important to say.
And a friend of mine send thank you notes to interviewers after screeners, and he has multiple V10 offers as well.

I'm not sure what either anecdotal account proves, except that it appears to not matter. Send them or don't send them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”