Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:48 pm

No ties to DC. No ties to NYC either. Only have CB's in DC. I know I want to work in DC, but not sure how to convince an interviewer the best way. How are ways you might answer this question?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:51 pm

DC is really the easiest city to answer this for. Talk about your interest in politics & policy, and how the general legal work in DC is so much more interesting to you because it usually has lots of policy implications, etc. A lot of DC firms have strong regulatory practices too, so you could talk about that if that's of interest to you, since the regulatory stuff you get in DC is very different from stuff you'd see in other cities, I'm guessing.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby 5ky » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Mention how great the metro is compared to ny's subway

meshtdagn
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:57 am

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby meshtdagn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:02 pm

5ky wrote:Mention how great the metro is compared to ny's subway


Is this some kind of inside joke that DC lawyers will get? If so, this sounds like a great ice breaker to respond to the question with.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6393
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby 5ky » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:22 pm

meshtdagn wrote:
5ky wrote:Mention how great the metro is compared to ny's subway


Is this some kind of inside joke that DC lawyers will get? If so, this sounds like a great ice breaker to respond to the question with.


I don't know if it's an inside joke, but I've found it to be very true. I guess I wouldn't really recommend it if you aren't familiar with either.

downstream
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby downstream » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:38 pm

I LOVE THE PRESIDENTS RACE AT NATIONALS GAMES

User avatar
koalatriste
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby koalatriste » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:58 pm

5+ years living in DC here.

Most DC lawyers are actually NOVA residents are who are ugly, disgusting commuters (usually at least slightly overweight). These people could not get laid in new york, so they have relocated to DC where they can occasionally find a hill intern willing to stimulate them to the point of climax; this is, of course, in exchange for living in complete slavery to the orange line. (People who live within the district are, however, awesome).

You need to tailor your answer to the actual location of the interviewer's residence - this is an easy ice breaker question and can be accomplished by asking "so do you live in the city or just outside of it?" - notice the construction of the question, it makes it a positive for people who live in the city to answer that they actually live in DC, but it doesn't highlight the isolation of the NOVA wasteland (the fat/disgusting NOVA lawyers are sensitive and aware of the fact that they are spending the best years of their life riding the orange line, carrying extra belly fat, and living in a place to where people move so that they can raise children).

As far as the content of the answer, DC residents will like to hear that the city is manageable, livable, an excellent running city (has NY beat there), and that DC still has "all the cultural advantages of a big city" set within a more manageable setting. Notice that I did NOT use the word "small" when describing DC. Do that and expect a ding.

NOVA residents want to hear much the same, but mention the convenience and reduced cost of living in NOVA, as opposed to downtown DC/NYC. NOVA is truly a location where the "standard of living far outpaces the cost." Vomit.

Do not mention the METRO. Everyone hates it. Yes, it's far cleaner than the NYC subway, but NYC actually has trains/stops/doesn't crash once a month and kill you. So.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby Renzo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:05 pm

"I've always dreamed of living in an insufferable swamp."

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby Cavalier » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:08 pm

koalatriste wrote:5+ years living in DC here.

Most DC lawyers are actually NOVA residents are who are ugly, disgusting commuters (usually at least slightly overweight). These people could not get laid in new york, so they have relocated to DC where they can occasionally find a hill intern willing to stimulate them to the point of climax; this is, of course, in exchange for living in complete slavery to the orange line. (People who live within the district are, however, awesome).

You need to tailor your answer to the actual location of the interviewer's residence - this is an easy ice breaker question and can be accomplished by asking "so do you live in the city or just outside of it?" - notice the construction of the question, it makes it a positive for people who live in the city to answer that they actually live in DC, but it doesn't highlight the isolation of the NOVA wasteland (the fat/disgusting NOVA lawyers are sensitive and aware of the fact that they are spending the best years of their life riding the orange line, carrying extra belly fat, and living in a place to where people move so that they can raise children).

As far as the content of the answer, DC residents will like to hear that the city is manageable, livable, an excellent running city (has NY beat there), and that DC still has "all the cultural advantages of a big city" set within a more manageable setting. Notice that I did NOT use the word "small" when describing DC. Do that and expect a ding.

NOVA residents want to hear much the same, but mention the convenience and reduced cost of living in NOVA, as opposed to downtown DC/NYC. NOVA is truly a location where the "standard of living far outpaces the cost." Vomit.

Do not mention the METRO. Everyone hates it. Yes, it's far cleaner than the NYC subway, but NYC actually has trains/stops/doesn't crash once a month and kill you. So.

A mixture of good advice and laughs. 180 response.

User avatar
The Pen Is Mightier
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:58 pm

koalatriste wrote:Yes, it's far cleaner than the NYC subway, but NYC actually has trains/stops/doesn't crash once a month and kill you. So.


This. I hate when people love on the Metro. Try managing foot traffic some way other than a single 2-foot wide staircase for an entire train-load of people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:29 am

meshtdagn wrote:
5ky wrote:Mention how great the metro is compared to ny's subway


Is this some kind of inside joke that DC lawyers will get? If so, this sounds like a great ice breaker to respond to the question with.


I don't know about that. DC people love to complain about the Metro's many imperfections, and most who have not lived in New York take for granted its relative quality (self included). I feel like this is a really easy question to nail if you really want to live there and for legit reasons. I know my eyes light up when I talk about DC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273584
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Callbacks -- Why DC? (What do you say)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:31 am

Renzo wrote:"I've always dreamed of living in an insufferable swamp."


If you've done a summer internship in DC, I think it actually helps to talk about the swampy weather and how you want to live there in spite of that because _______ .




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.