OK to reach out to UG alums at firm before CB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OK to reach out to UG alums at firm before CB?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:45 pm

So I just learned that I have a CB with a firm in my desired market later this week. Although I went to UG in the same state as this market, I go to law school far away. I have no other ties to the market, other than the fact that I've visited numerous times and have tons of friends from UG there.

I really want to break into the market and feel like I'm going to need as much help as possible to get an offer. There is no one from my law school that works in the firm, but there are three attorneys (two partners, one associate) in the firm who went to my UG. None of these attorneys are interviewing me during the CB. Is it OK to send one or two of these attorneys an e-mail just to introduce myself, say I went to the same UG as them, and ask for any helpful information about the firm or advice before my CB? Or is there anything else I can say? I asked Career Services about this, and they said some firms frown upon it (I'm not sure why) whereas others don't really care.

Re: OK to reach out to UG alums at firm before CB?

Postby 20160810 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:17 pm

I would avoid doing anything that could be perceived as weird. You already have a CB, at this point, your odds are good and you don't want to blow it.

Return to “Legal Employment”