Tell me about Wilson sonsini

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tell me about Wilson sonsini

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Silicon valley office. Seemed like a very friendly atmosphere while I was there. Techy start up feel almost, but with stability. Anyone with firsthand or reputable info on what it's like working there? Vault/chambers seem somewhat conflicted, from top of the line to sweatshop. Anybody have a better idea? Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Re: Tell me about Wilson sonsini

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:14 pm

my OCI interviewer (WS litigator) completely ripped on WS corp department. I didn't quite catch everything he said, but apparently it's organized very nonsensically to the point where different groups end up competing with each other for the same client. I have no idea what this means to corp associates, but he seemed to imply that it wasn't a great situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Can only speak to perception, having worked on the business side of deals in the Bay Area startup scene, but WSGR is considered the best of the best for corporate outside counsel. Congratulations.

EDIT: One of the best. There are certainly many great firms.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:12 pm

Big Silicon Valley sweatshop.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:Big Silicon Valley sweatshop.

As in high hours required or just overwhelmed/understaffed?

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Both. It's highly leveraged and they laid off staff during the recession.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:54 pm

I've asked about WSGR and heard most of the above.

Apparently it's run in "Fiefdoms" where it matters a ton who your boss partner is, and apparently they do somehow compete against each other.

Don't get a good vibe from it. Wouldn't mind an offer though. My only concern is how easy it is to work there and then move to NY or DC in a hypothetical future.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:54 pm

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

Wilson Sonsini, on the corporate side at least, is very much a firm where clients are considered clients of certain partners, as opposed to clients of the firm. Accordingly, people's experiences there are largely defined by who they end up working for (most people usually end up working for the same small group of superiors). There is not a lot of formal structure - probably a better place for people who have initiative and know what practice areas / people they want to work with at the firm, not as supportive for those looking to try a wide variety of things and get lots of career counseling/mentorship along the way.

As a pure silicon valley firm, they are very much tied to the health of that region, and hire/fire people at will to meet their needs. (they are less concerned than other firms about their reputation in that regard)

That said, amazing place to be if you want to transition in-house to a tech company.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

+1

Wilson Sonsini, on the corporate side at least, is very much a firm where clients are considered clients of certain partners, as opposed to clients of the firm. Accordingly, people's experiences there are largely defined by who they end up working for (most people usually end up working for the same small group of superiors). There is not a lot of formal structure - probably a better place for people who have initiative and know what practice areas / people they want to work with at the firm, not as supportive for those looking to try a wide variety of things and get lots of career counseling/mentorship along the way.

As a pure silicon valley firm, they are very much tied to the health of that region, and hire/fire people at will to meet their needs. (they are less concerned than other firms about their reputation in that regard)

That said, amazing place to be if you want to transition in-house to a tech company.

How does WSGR compare with Cooley and Fenwick?

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:How does WSGR compare with Cooley and Fenwick?

Cooley's SV office had to slash their rates to keep busy during the recession, so the hours currently worked by associates are horrendous from what I've heard (since the firm wants to maintain pre-recession PPP levels). Fenwick seems smaller and somewhat cooler/more laid back than WSGR from what I know about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:02 am

Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Cooley's SV office had to slash their rates to keep busy during the recession, so the hours currently worked by associates are horrendous from what I've heard (since the firm wants to maintain pre-recession PPP levels). Fenwick seems smaller and somewhat cooler/more laid back than WSGR from what I know about it.

Julio you seem pretty knowledgable/somewhat anti-wilson, do u have some inside knowledge that might be useful to someone contemplating working for the firm? Really appreciate the info you've given, but just curious to learn as much as possible in advance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've asked about WSGR and heard most of the above.

Apparently it's run in "Fiefdoms" where it matters a ton who your boss partner is, and apparently they do somehow compete against each other.

Don't get a good vibe from it. Wouldn't mind an offer though. My only concern is how easy it is to work there and then move to NY or DC in a hypothetical future.

How much do these fiefdoms matter outside SV? I have a cb in DC and also preferenced the NY office, so I don't know if I shot myself in the foot by expressing interest in two groups.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:54 pm

When did you have your OCI and call-back?

I interviewed at Santa Clara on the 26th for the SV office and still haven't heard anything. :(

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Julio_El_Chavo wrote:

Julio you seem pretty knowledgable/somewhat anti-wilson, do u have some inside knowledge that might be useful to someone contemplating working for the firm? Really appreciate the info you've given, but just curious to learn as much as possible in advance.

I personally know one current partner, one current associate, and one former associate from WSGR.

1) The partner is probably the most go-getter type of person I've ever met. He's insanely intense and seems like the type of dood who would demand perfection from everyone all the time, including his family. I would never want to work for him, but I could definitely see him making a shitload of money for the firm and representing his clients very well.

2) The current associate has gained about 20 lbs since law school, and always seems exhausted when I see him. He's a really nice guy and works really hard, but I could see him getting manhandled and abused by his superiors at Wilson. From what he's told me, he does a lot of work that gets credited to senior associates who are "overseeing" his work.

3) The former associate is now a partner at an IP boutique in the valley. He seems very pleased with his decision to leave Wilson and cautioned me away from the firm when I was considering where to work (although it didn't really matter because my interview with Wilson went terribly and I didn't get a CB). He works fewer hours for significantly less money than he would make as a partner from Wilson (from what I can tell), but he's a great family man and has plenty of time to spend with his kids.

Return to “Legal Employment”