Could getting and turning down offer for SA possibly help...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Could getting and turning down offer for SA possibly help...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:34 pm

...with lateraling to the same firm in a couple of years, or even for 3L interview with them next fall?

As in "hey, remember me from last year? You offered me a position (here is the offer letter) but I turned it down because I just HAD to be in this other city at the time. But now I am ready to live here. If I was good 'nuff for you then, I'm sure I'm good 'nuff for you now! What do you say?"

I am serious. I have accepted an offer for SA at a great firm. This other firm extended me a CB the day after that. The offer I accepted is better for me right now, but in a couple of years I could very well see myself at this other firm. Is it worth attending the CB in the hope of securing an offer purely for this purpose (or in case I get no-offered, or hate my firm next summer?).

JollyGreenGiant

Re: Could getting and turning down offer for SA possibly help...

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:38 pm

This sounds like a bad idea. You gotta realize that partners and associates are taking time out of their day to meet with you for a summer associate position when you have no intention of working there. That + reimbursing expenses (such as them getting you a hotel or airfare) = a firm that's unhappy with you.

Not to mention that taking a CB slot and an offer that you have no intention of accepting is an extremely dick move to your fellow classmates and peers.
Last edited by JollyGreenGiant on Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:46 pm

It appears you are suggesting that you've already accepted an offer, and you are considering moving forward with another application by going on a callback, in the hopes of securing another offer, which you will turn down because you had long ago accepted a previous offer.

Yea... don't do that.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:06 pm

You don't seem to consider the possibility that the second firm, who you may want to work for some day, won't give you an offer. And if you get an offer from the second firm, you plan to turn it down. Plus they may find out you had already accepted an offer and were wasting their time. How will this possibly help you to have a better future for lateraling to that firm someday?

meshtdagn

Postby meshtdagn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:07 pm

This has to be explicitly banned by NALP or your law school. You cannot go on another interview after you've accepted an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:18 pm

OP here. I greatly appreciate the responses, but most of them are somewhat off-topic. I am well aware of the ethical issues. My question is whether the scenario I outlined would help. To that end:
You don't seem to consider the possibility that the second firm, who you may want to work for some day, won't give you an offer.

Very good point. In that case, getting rejected post-CB would definitely foreclose future possibility of employment there, at least in the medium term (and most certainly for next fall).

All that said, my original question remains. Can someone please provide an answer?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Why would a firm you rejected to move to another city want to offer you a job again? Especially given how important ties are.... No, it won't help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I greatly appreciate the responses, but most of them are somewhat off-topic. I am well aware of the ethical issues. My question is whether the scenario I outlined would help. To that end:
You don't seem to consider the possibility that the second firm, who you may want to work for some day, won't give you an offer.

Very good point. In that case, getting rejected post-CB would definitely foreclose future possibility of employment there, at least in the medium term (and most certainly for next fall).

All that said, my original question remains. Can someone please provide an answer?

Lawyers...

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:42 pm

Is this flame? Your SA offer doesnt guarantee anything nor does it have any meaning with regards to hiring you as a midlevel associate.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:47 pm

Eh. Firms that needed 3L's called up some people this year who turned them down for SA positions to see if they were interested in coming on full-time at graduation. Firms would much rather go to people they already like than to 3L OCI.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Seriously, though, if you have to live in NYC but don't like the whole "NYC thing", Financial District and Murray Hill/Kips Bay are TCR. Seriously consider White Plains if you don't already have a circle of friends in the city.

Return to “Legal Employment”