NY Associates: Where to live?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kratos

Re: NY Associates: Where to live?

Postby Kratos » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:05 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:NJ to the east side sounds like a complete nightmare to me. What are you gonna do, PATH to 33rd and 6th and then walk 15 minutes?

I wouldn't do NJ unless you work downtown, personally.

PATH to WTC then the 4 or 5 isn't too bad

smaug

Postby smaug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:31 pm

sublime wrote:I think I am going to try to get a studio. I will be working in midtown west, and from what I have heard, will be looking at UWS, Morningside Heights, and Brooklyn. Any neighborhood suggestions for someone who just kinda wants a semi-affordable studio but doesn't need a ton of accommodations?

You might find stuff you like in Hell's Kitchen. Otherwise it's just a matter of how far/at what price. I'd avoid Morningside Heights.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:38 pm

On a big law salary, what have y'all found to be a comfortable amount to pay for rent? I understand the city is expensive, and am willing to spend some $$, but also want to be able to enjoy myself and make my loan repayments (less than $1k per/month loan payments)?

I would preferably like to live alone - so studio or one BR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:01 pm

I live in Jersey City and work around Times Square. It's about a 40-minute commute. The Journal Square PATH is pretty horrible from 7:30 AM - 10:30 AM -- always packed shoulder to shoulder and literally always smells terrible (body odor etc.). I've never once gotten a seat on the PATH on the Journal Square line. And it's only getting more and more crowded as they keep building 90-story high rises but can't expand service...

If you take the Hoboken PATH, it's a lot less crowded and you can get a seat maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of the time depending when you want to get. Also a lot cleaner.

When I've taken the World Trade Center line, it's still crowded but pretty darn fast--little over 15 minutes from my apartment to Manhattan.

Apartments in the area start around $2500/mo and go up to maybe $4000+ for a spacious two-bedroom on an east-facing apartment on a high level. They're generally no-fee, however.

To the guy asking for apartment budgeting--Studios in commute-able distance of most big law firms probably cost around $2000-2500 per month, but actually moving in costs like $10,000 (you'll owe 1.5x security, sometimes more, 1x fee, more fees if you use a broker, and often 1st and last month's rent). One-bedrooms with ~750+ square footage probably start around $3000ish, and newer high rises or popular areas (e.g. Soho) probably start around $4000/mo. If you get a roommate or two, you can spend under $2000/mo easily by splitting a 2/3 bedroom. Hell's Kitchen and the UWS/UES are pretty popular from what I can tell at various firms.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:41 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:I'm assuming no SO.

Consider renting a place in Brooklyn...sheepshead bay area, possibly prospect park. Decent areas (safety wise) and shouldn't break the bank.

Prospect Park isn't a neighborhood. ("Prospect Park South" is an area that some people refer to but it's like 2 blocks.) Sheepshead Bay is at least an hour from midtown.

Honestly if you're just looking for affordable/safe/reasonably convenient and don't care about having nightlife etc., Queens is the way to go. Jackson Heights, Sunnyside, Forest Hills.

There are plenty of areas around prospect park where you can rent lol. As for Sheepshead Bay being an hour away from Midtown, so what? I commuted 1.5 hours every day for undergrad, it saved me like 100k. If OP is willing to commute, he/she could seriously cut down on wasting money (and space) when compared to a place in the city somewhere.

I'm all for commuting a bit and find it kind of weird when people have been in NYC for like 4 years and barely know how to get out of midtown because they rented a studio two blocks from work.

That said, signing up to spend at least two hours a day commuting as a first year associate is a great way to ensure you will be really unhappy. I would really keep it to about 30 minutes, personally.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:46 pm

What do people think about areas north of the city on Metro North? I don't think I'd be bold enough to do it as a junior, but I'm sometimes tempted.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:58 pm

MCFC wrote:What do people think about areas north of the city on Metro North? I don't think I'd be bold enough to do it as a junior, but I'm sometimes tempted.

Easier than commuting from Jersey.

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:48 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
gnomgnomuch wrote:I'm assuming no SO.

Consider renting a place in Brooklyn...sheepshead bay area, possibly prospect park. Decent areas (safety wise) and shouldn't break the bank.

Prospect Park isn't a neighborhood. ("Prospect Park South" is an area that some people refer to but it's like 2 blocks.) Sheepshead Bay is at least an hour from midtown.

Honestly if you're just looking for affordable/safe/reasonably convenient and don't care about having nightlife etc., Queens is the way to go. Jackson Heights, Sunnyside, Forest Hills.

There are plenty of areas around prospect park where you can rent lol. As for Sheepshead Bay being an hour away from Midtown, so what? I commuted 1.5 hours every day for undergrad, it saved me like 100k. If OP is willing to commute, he/she could seriously cut down on wasting money (and space) when compared to a place in the city somewhere.

I'm all for commuting a bit and find it kind of weird when people have been in NYC for like 4 years and barely know how to get out of midtown because they rented a studio two blocks from work.

That said, signing up to spend at least two hours a day commuting as a first year associate is a great way to ensure you will be really unhappy. I would really keep it to about 30 minutes, personally.

I don't live in the city, I live in coney island, but seriously, how do you not know how to get around in NY???

Yea, I'd agree that spending 2-3 hours a day on commuting is a huge pain in the ass and not worth saving about 5-10k a year. But it depends on OP's situation and personality. I'd be more than fine living in a studio half an hour away from work. But if OP needs a 2 BR for example, that's a lot of extra money to be using.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:48 am

PennBull wrote:
MCFC wrote:What do people think about areas north of the city on Metro North? I don't think I'd be bold enough to do it as a junior, but I'm sometimes tempted.

Easier than commuting from Jersey.

yah F NJtransit right in the face

PinkRevolver

Postby PinkRevolver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:37 pm

Anyone looking for a 1 bedroom in Fidi let me know.

Wearthewildthingsr

Postby Wearthewildthingsr » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:51 pm

do y'all have recommendations if your firm is in fidi? Not really into living in Jersey tho...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I live in Jersey City and work around Times Square. It's about a 40-minute commute. The Journal Square PATH is pretty horrible from 7:30 AM - 10:30 AM -- always packed shoulder to shoulder and literally always smells terrible (body odor etc.). I've never once gotten a seat on the PATH on the Journal Square line. And it's only getting more and more crowded as they keep building 90-story high rises but can't expand service...

If you take the Hoboken PATH, it's a lot less crowded and you can get a seat maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of the time depending when you want to get. Also a lot cleaner.

When I've taken the World Trade Center line, it's still crowded but pretty darn fast--little over 15 minutes from my apartment to Manhattan.

Apartments in the area start around $2500/mo and go up to maybe $4000+ for a spacious two-bedroom on an east-facing apartment on a high level. They're generally no-fee, however.

To the guy asking for apartment budgeting--Studios in commute-able distance of most big law firms probably cost around $2000-2500 per month, but actually moving in costs like $10,000 (you'll owe 1.5x security, sometimes more, 1x fee, more fees if you use a broker, and often 1st and last month's rent). One-bedrooms with ~750+ square footage probably start around $3000ish, and newer high rises or popular areas (e.g. Soho) probably start around $4000/mo. If you get a roommate or two, you can spend under $2000/mo easily by splitting a 2/3 bedroom. Hell's Kitchen and the UWS/UES are pretty popular from what I can tell at various firms.

So I'm guessing that if the journal square path is packed then the exchange place path is extremely crowded in the morning?

Startled Rabbit

Postby Startled Rabbit » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Can anyone talk about the commute from Weehawken or West New York?

Postby 2014 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:50 pm

Wearthewildthingsr wrote:do y'all have recommendations if your firm is in fidi? Not really into living in Jersey tho...

The best part about FiDi is its convenience - basically any neighborhood in Manhattan below UWS/UES plus most of Brooklyn is a <30 commute.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:05 pm

Startled Rabbit wrote:Can anyone talk about the commute from Weehawken or West New York?

Hop on a bus and you're at Port Authority in an hour. Or you could take the ferry at Port Imperial which is really quick and has free bus service to midtown. More expensive than the bus but faster.

Startled Rabbit

Postby Startled Rabbit » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:25 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Startled Rabbit wrote:Can anyone talk about the commute from Weehawken or West New York?

Hop on a bus and you're at Port Authority in an hour. Or you could take the ferry at Port Imperial which is really quick and has free bus service to midtown. More expensive than the bus but faster.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:44 pm

I think you'd be bored in most of those places unless you're married with kids.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:25 pm

quick Qs: can a landlord require credit checks of people simply contemplating living in an apartment but not paying the LL anything and in privity with the LL in any way?

Postby 2014 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:quick Qs: can a landlord require credit checks of people simply contemplating living in an apartment but not paying the LL anything and in privity with the LL in any way?

Credit checks shouldn't generally happen until you fill out an application which invariably authorizes the credit check but I'm not versed in landlord/tenant laws and whether they could do them whenever.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:01 pm

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with midtown east?

Within that general area, is there anywhere to target/avoid?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:09 pm

2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:quick Qs: can a landlord require credit checks of people simply contemplating living in an apartment but not paying the LL anything and in privity with the LL in any way?

Credit checks shouldn't generally happen until you fill out an application which invariably authorizes the credit check but I'm not versed in landlord/tenant laws and whether they could do them whenever.

Thanks. I find it odd that the LL wants to check my GFs credit score if she is in no way responsible for the rent.

Postby 2014 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2014 wrote:

Thanks. I find it odd that the LL wants to check my GFs credit score if she is in no way responsible for the rent.

Would think you could get out of this with "she isn't on the lease [and doesn't live here full time/is leasing her own apartment elsewhere], we aren't comfortable authorizing this check please make any decisions you need to based on my credit alone" but IME landlords can do whatever they want so you may end up being forced to cave.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:32 pm

LLs are always going to want to check the credit of every adult living in the apt. 2014s advice about not having her on the lease is the only solution, but if she's actually living in that apt you should just go through the process to avoid any hassle down the road.

filibuster

Postby filibuster » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm renting in Cobble Hill/Boerum Hill area and is amazing, cheap and a 45 minute subway ride to my midtown office

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:23 pm

filibuster wrote:I'm renting in Cobble Hill/Boerum Hill area and is amazing, cheap and a 45 minute subway ride to my midtown office

What's "cheap" these days? I thought that area had gotten pretty pricey.

Return to “Legal Employment”