NY Associates: Where to live?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Re: NY Associates: Where to live?

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:10 pm

5ky wrote:
rayiner wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:It all depends on your standards, I suppose. I would happily live in any of the places I posted.

My parents didn't struggle to bring me to the US from Bangladesh so I could make $160k and live like I was still in a third world country.

You're so melodramatic about NYC housing. Relax, brother.

I'm joking, of course. Lawyers in many parts of the third world (Sao Paulo, etc) live way better than lawyers do in New York.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:11 pm

rayiner wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:It all depends on your standards, I suppose. I would happily live in any of the places I posted.

My parents didn't struggle to bring me to the US from Bangladesh so I could make $160k and live like I was still in a third world country.

+10000 My mom didn't raise me by herself in a crime infested neighborhood so I could make 160K, live in a closet ,and still not be able to give her anything to help out. Not to mention having had to go through the the hell that is law school and pay 200K for it.

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think you have access to the same quality of cousine and variety of cultural experiences anywhere but NYC. You're paying for location more than you're actual residence. 8 million people make it work.

You just highlighted the circular problem with the city. You know how they make it work? They DON'T access the food, cultural experiences, and entertainment that NYC has that other locales don't.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:14 pm

I would really like to see this thread get back on track for OP. Regardless of your opinion on NYC, it's where a plurality of Biglaw associates will be, and the information would be very helpful.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:15 pm

rayiner wrote:

This is a pretty weird take on the situation considering most NYC residents make less than a third of that salary. If what $160,000 buys you in NYC is "third world," I shudder to think what world the rest of us are living in. Yes, it's an expensive city with old housing stock. Caveat emptor. The point of this thread is to give people an idea of what their housing options are, not to make wrongheaded comparisons between living in poverty and living among bankers and lawyers in Brooklyn Heights.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

+10000 My mom didn't raise me by herself in a crime infested neighborhood so I could make 160K, live in a closet ,and still not be able to give her anything to help out. Not to mention having had to go through the the hell that is law school and pay 200K for it.

Anonymous User wrote:I don't think you have access to the same quality of cousine and variety of cultural experiences anywhere but NYC. You're paying for location more than you're actual residence. 8 million people make it work.

You just highlighted the circular problem with the city. You know how they make it work? They DON'T access the food, cultural experiences, and entertainment that NYC has that other locales don't.

You sound like a loser.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You just highlighted the circular problem with the city. You know how they make it work? They DON'T access the food, cultural experiences, and entertainment that NYC has that other locales don't.

Culture I'll give you, but how many times do you really need to see East Indies dances performed in the park by your house? I lived in the east village for three weeks and the noise got annoying after one. For the more mainstream stuff (ballets, plays, etc), other big cities have them just fine, even if New Yorks' are more highly ranked.

The food is okay. Lots of Michelin rated stuff, and lots of ethnic places. But you can't afford to eat at the Michelin-rated places as a lawyer, and most big cities have a critical mass of ethnic places. I spent all summer in NYC and moved back to Chicago and don't miss the food one bit. I can go to Greek Town or Pilsen or Ukrainian Village and get my fill of ethnic food. Meanwhile I spent just a long weekend in Portland and am desperately missing the food scene. Ultra-fresh produce and seafood at "eating out on a weekday" prices --- that's something you can't get in most of the country, including NYC.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:21 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:If what $160,000 buys you in NYC is "third world," I shudder to think what world the rest of us are living in.

In your own filth, judging from the piles and piles of garbage everywhere. More "sub saharan Africa" than Sao Paulo or Prague.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:26 pm

rayiner wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:If what $160,000 buys you in NYC is "third world," I shudder to think what world the rest of us are living in.

In your own filth, judging from the piles and piles of garbage everywhere. More "sub saharan Africa" than Sao Paulo or Prague.

What are you trying to accomplish by trashing NYC? I'm sorry (honestly, it's no fun being someplace you hate) that it sounds like you'll have to live and work here a while, but your opinion is not universal, not going to convince anyone else who likes NYC, and not relevant to the purposes of this discussion.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Rayiner, you ruin every thread about housing.
Last edited by 5ky on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:27 pm

rayiner wrote:

Your advice is super helpful on here 99% of the time.

But I'm pretty sure we all know by now how much you hated your three month sentence in NYC. It's pretty well documented. Let's keep this sucker on track and discuss areas where the best values can be found.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:27 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
rayiner wrote:

What are you trying to accomplish by trashing NYC? I'm sorry (honestly, it's no fun being someplace you hate) that it sounds like you'll have to live and work here a while, but your opinion is not universal, not going to convince anyone else who likes NYC, and not relevant to the purposes of this discussion.

See my other advice ITT. It's "NYC for people who hate NYC" advice. If you hate the filth and cost of NYC, look into the places I mentioned.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You sound like a loser.

You sound like a racist. Try a little harder next time to hide your dislike of minorities .

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:37 pm

I can't believe TLS already managed to give rayiner another platform to rail against NYC.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You sound like a loser.

You sound like a racist. Try a little harder next time to hide your dislike of minorities .

Christ, this is like a 180 flame. I looked and looked for any hint of racism from "you sound like a loser" and couldn't come up with anything.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:47 pm

5ky wrote:
Christ, this is like a 180 flame. I looked and looked for any hint of racism from "you sound like a loser" and couldn't come up with anything.

This is a 180 example of how terrible non URMS are at spotting any racism short of the N word. What do you think he was implying with "you sound like a loser" after someone commented about growing up in a single parent family in a crime infested neighborhood? I know you guys think racism is a "myth" (except for affirmative action) but for Christ sakes...

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:

This is a 180 example of how terrible non URMS are at spotting any racism short of the N word. What do you think he was implying with "you sound like a loser" after someone commented about growing up in a single parent family in a crime infested neighborhood? I know you guys think racism is a "myth" (except for affirmative action) but for Christ sakes...

This is a really good use of the Anon feature.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
5ky wrote:

That whoever posted that was a loser for invoking his/her unfortunate upbringing to decry living in a fucking walk-up building?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:53 pm

quit making work for me

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:quit making work for me

LOL thanks for undoing the anon on those posts. I know who that Jaws the Great clown is. LOL he's one of those lames at UVA who thinks that he's a "jock" because he hits homeruns in softball games
5ky wrote:

That whoever posted that was a loser for invoking his/her unfortunate upbringing to decry living in a fucking walk-up building?
! LMAO I'm not even mad anymore after finding out that's who posted that.

WTF? He was saying I sound like a loser because I grew up in single parent home in a bad neighborhood, that's why he used the anon feature. Besides, you just don't get it do you? Rayiner and I were saying no one fucking works their ass off at a biglaw firm as a slave, goes through the hell of a top law school, and the hell of getting in, after coming from a rough upbringing to make that kind of money and still end up living in a closet.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:06 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:quit making work for me

LOL thanks for undoing the anon on those posts. I know who that Jaws the Great clown is. LOL he's one of those lames at UVA who thinks that he's a "jock" because he hits homeruns in softball games
5ky wrote:

! LMAO I'm not even mad anymore after finding out that's who posted that.

WTF? He was saying I sound like a loser because I grew up in single parent home in a bad neighborhood, that's why he used the anon feature. Besides, you just don't get it do you? Rayiner and I were saying no one fucking works their ass off at a biglaw firm as a slave, goes through the hell of a top law school, and the hell of getting in, after coming from a rough upbringing to make that kind of money and still end up living in a closet.

Shut up. You were using the anon feature too. Now quit shitting on this thread and let it get back on-topic (if that's even possible).

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:08 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Besides, you just don't get it do you? Rayiner and I were saying no one fucking works their ass off at a biglaw firm as a slave, goes through the hell of a top law school, and the hell of getting in, after coming from a rough upbringing to make that kind of money and still end up living in a closet.

No one does? Thousands of people do. Including the OP of this thread. If you don't like it, don't do it. No one is forcing you.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Don't even try to find a place on Craigslist. Use a broker. You may want to go for a studio in a building run by a good management company like Glenwood or Related (there are others).
You are going to have to spend time yourself in different neighborhoods to decide what fits you best. I think that limiting your commute time is a very smart move. And if you are spending a lot of time in your apartment in NYC, you are doing it wrong. Places here are small - but they can be great. You just have to get used to living in a smaller place. Because most everyone lives in a much smaller place than they could afford in other areas for the same salary, it isn't a big deal to have a place that might seem small. You will appreciate having a doorman and good management when you have to work but stuff needs to be done in your apartment.

New York is a fantastic place to live. It isn't for everyone, though. I have friends who hate the crowds - but when you live here you can figure out how to avoid the crowds. No one does most of the tourist stuff after they live here, but people do go to the museums and take advantage of all the cultural stuff to do.

To me the only real problem with the city is that the cost of housing is so expensive.
Last edited by sunynp on Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:13 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Shut up. You were using the anon feature too. Now quit shitting on this thread and let it get back on-topic (if that's even possible).

WTF are you? I was using it because there are a lot of stalkers at our school that browse this site to find out who's on it. That's why I was using it. Notice that I never made any anonymous insults. My anonymous posts were about the housing, my demographics, and my opinion on the housing. Unlike him I'm not too pussy to insult someone outright. He used it to make a random racist insult. STF and mind your business. You aren't even reading the whole post history, you're just running your mouth. Now you focus on the housing issue and stop commenting on something you don't know anything about.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:20 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Shut up. You were using the anon feature too. Now quit shitting on this thread and let it get back on-topic (if that's even possible).

WTF are you? I was using it because there are a lot of stalkers at our school that browse this site to find out who's on it. That's why I was using it. Notice that I never made any anonymous [b]insults.[/b] My anonymous posts were about the housing, my demographics, and my opinion on the housing. Unlike him I'm not too pussy to insult someone outright. He used it to make a random racist insult. STF and mind your business. You aren't even reading the whole post history, you're just running your mouth. Now you focus on the housing issue and stop commenting on something you don't know anything about.

I shouldn't be taking this bait... but...

I'm pretty sure "You sound like a racist" would be an insult to most people. That's the last thing I'm going to say, because this whole page has turned what could potentially be a useful thread into absolute shit.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:

You know, this doesn't have to be true, when you live here you can find plenty of things to do that are very high quality that don't cost a fortune -or are even free. You just have to engage with the city and the things you are interested in doing. It is impossible to write a list of every possibility - try Time Out New York maybe - or the NYT weekend section - or some blogs. Don't think you have to go home and sit in your tiny apartment in your limited free time because you can't afford to do anything.

Return to “Legal Employment”