NY Associates: Where to live?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NoleinNY

Re: NY Associates: Where to live?

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:44 pm

rayiner wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:http://g.co/maps/sqarx

I will concede it is, in fact, 1/2 a mile... Which is nothing IMO. An easy walk or a very short bus ride. Unless

I mean, MFH is only 2 miles across on 42nd. What makes the walk seem long is the 30 minute train ride before hand, and the 90 degree/100% humidity weather while in a suit and work shoes. It just sucks to walk into work sweating through your shirt first thing in the morning. Though given Skadden has a gym changing at the firm would be quite doable.

MFH? (Is that a firm?)

As for the weather, that is definitely a valid concern... My only counter would be that it's only really like that (90 + 100%) in the summer. You still have like 8-9 months Fall/Winter/Spring where the weather is not generally 90 degrees and 100%. As an SA, who only experiences a NYC summer? Yeah, commuting from Westchester would suck. As a full time attorney, who would be riding in an air conditioned train and then walking/busing a 4 blocks? That's not going to leave your shirt soaked.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:49 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I will concede it is, in fact, 1/2 a mile... Which is nothing IMO. An easy walk or a very short bus ride. Unless

I mean, MFH is only 2 miles across on 42nd. What makes the walk seem long is the 30 minute train ride before hand, and the 90 degree/100% humidity weather while in a suit and work shoes. It just sucks to walk into work sweating through your shirt first thing in the morning. Though given Skadden has a gym changing at the firm would be quite doable.

MFH? (Is that a firm?)

As for the weather, that is definitely a valid concern... My only counter would be that it's only really like that (90 + 100%) in the summer. You still have like 8-9 months Fall/Winter/Spring where the weather is not generally 90 degrees and 100%. As an SA, who only experiences a NYC summer? Yeah, commuting from Westchester would suck. As a full time attorney, who would be riding in an air conditioned train and then walking/busing a 4 blocks? That's not going to leave your shirt soaked.

MFH = ManFuckingHattan.

pissantvache

Postby pissantvache » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:20 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
rayiner wrote:

MFH? (Is that a firm?)

I'd just like to note that there's the shuttle from GCT to Times Square. No need to walk. Granted, it's a hot subway, but usually the train is there in GCT and it's air conditioned, so you don't have to get too hot. In fact, I would consider this myself.

jennyf

Postby jennyf » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:34 pm

BruceWayne wrote:I'm shocked at the number of grown ass men who like the idea of working 70 hour work weeks for a law firm to live in a studio apartment. I mean in all seriousness for all that why even go to law school (especially the hellaciously competitive one's you probably had to attend to even have a shot at these jobs)?

If the goal is to save as much money as possible, I don't see the problem with this way of living. You're not going to be home all that much, and you're going to be saving a good amount of money so you can move on to either a better apartment in a few years (after paying back loans) or out of the city. It's all dependent on the person's career trajectory-if you're looking to move on from the firm after 2-3 years, then saving money is more important than living well right now. If you're planning on staying in firm life forever, then having a nice place might be worth not saving as much money right now.

I understand that people who are coming from other cities might have higher expectations of living space than native New Yorkers, but bitching about how expensive this city is just seems bizarre. It's expensive. Either save less money and live the way you want to, or save more money and live in a manner you're not accustomed to and deal with it. You're going to make more at a NY firm (past first year) than you would at other firms, even DC.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:37 pm

jennyf wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:I'm shocked at the number of grown ass men who like the idea of working 70 hour work weeks for a law firm to live in a studio apartment. I mean in all seriousness for all that why even go to law school (especially the hellaciously competitive one's you probably had to attend to even have a shot at these jobs)?

If the goal is to save as much money as possible, I don't see the problem with this way of living. You're not going to be home all that much, and you're going to be saving a good amount of money so you can move on to either a better apartment in a few years (after paying back loans) or out of the city. It's all dependent on the person's career trajectory-if you're looking to move on from the firm after 2-3 years, then saving money is more important than living well right now. If you're planning on staying in firm life forever, then having a nice place might be worth not saving as much money right now.

I understand that people who are coming from other cities might have higher expectations of living space than native New Yorkers, but bitching about how expensive this city is just seems bizarre. It's expensive. Either save less money and live the way you want to, or save more money and live in a manner you're not accustomed to and deal with it. You're going to make more at a NY firm (past first year) than you would at other firms, even DC.

If your goal is to save as much money as possible, gtfo out of NYC. DC is a terrible market to compare to. You're not going to make more money in NYC, when adjusted for COL, than you would in Chicago or Texas.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:45 pm

The above is credited. If you want to save as much money as possible - NYC is not the place to do it.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:49 pm

Maybe a better way to put this is come to NYC for the job, contacts and work experience. You will probably have to adjust your expectations on size of house- though as a native NYer I don't see why people care so much about having huge houses- and on how much you will save. Don't plan on saving a ridiculous amount.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:59 pm

sunynp wrote:Maybe a better way to put this is come to NYC for the job, contacts and work experience. You will probably have to adjust your expectations on size of house- though as a native NYer I don't see why people care so much about having huge houses- and on how much you will save. Don't plan on saving a ridiculous amount.

I agree with this. Tempered expectations, FTW. I don't mind living like a college student (keeping that dream alive for as long as possible) for a few years. If I last for more than 3 years up there, I'll be surprised. I think (read: hope) that having an NYC firm on the resume will look good for lateraling to a smaller market later.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:24 pm

sunynp wrote:Maybe a better way to put this is come to NYC for the job, contacts and work experience. You will probably have to adjust your expectations on size of house- though as a native NYer I don't see why people care so much about having huge houses- and on how much you will save. Don't plan on saving a ridiculous amount.

I think adjusting expectations is definitely key, but it's not the size of houses that's the problem. It's how old and crappy the housing stock is. Finding a good apartment in New York isn't so much a matter of finding one with enough space, but finding one that's not old and gross. That's why Craigslist is so fraught with peril --- it's really hard to tell from pictures whether you're looking at a bathroom with 5 year old subway tile or 50 year old subway tile. I also think that's one of the advantages of using a broker, who probably has a much better idea of here the recently renovated units are.

Here is a good article on the problem: http://www.tenantsservices.com/art_build_housing.php
Last edited by rayiner on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:32 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Veyron wrote:WTF is wrong with you people, you should be able to nab a small studio for 1500 a month, even in manfuckinghattan.

I'm shocked at the number of grown ass men who like the idea of working 70 hour work weeks for a law firm to live in a studio apartment. I mean in all seriousness for all that why even go to law school (especially the hellaciously competitive one's you probably had to attend to even have a shot at these jobs)? If you're going to live in a studio apartment working those kind of hours you might as well just have stuck with undergrad and tried to get a 30-40K a year job with a normal work week (although in this economy those are tough as hell to get too). You're basically living like a college student even though you're probably in/pushing your 30s. I don't get why you would go down such a difficult academic path, then go to a job that's known for being brutal, so you can live in a studio and spend 12 hours of your day at work. Not to mention a grown man living in a studio apartment working those kinds of hours isn't exactly attractive to most women, although I guess most guys on here gave up on that a long time ago.

Most first year associates are 25-28 years old and are paying their dues and their debts. It's not that big a deal to live in a studio apartment for a few years. And what's all this talk about "don't go to NY if you want to save as much money as possible"? Saving money is prudent whether you live in NY or Houston. People go to NY to work at top firms. Wanting to save some money while doing so is both normal and advisable.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Bronte wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Veyron wrote:WTF is wrong with you people, you should be able to nab a small studio for 1500 a month, even in manfuckinghattan.

I'm shocked at the number of grown ass men who like the idea of working 70 hour work weeks for a law firm to live in a studio apartment. I mean in all seriousness for all that why even go to law school (especially the hellaciously competitive one's you probably had to attend to even have a shot at these jobs)? If you're going to live in a studio apartment working those kind of hours you might as well just have stuck with undergrad and tried to get a 30-40K a year job with a normal work week (although in this economy those are tough as hell to get too). You're basically living like a college student even though you're probably in/pushing your 30s. I don't get why you would go down such a difficult academic path, then go to a job that's known for being brutal, so you can live in a studio and spend 12 hours of your day at work. Not to mention a grown man living in a studio apartment working those kinds of hours isn't exactly attractive to most women, although I guess most guys on here gave up on that a long time ago.

Most first year associates are 25-28 years old and are paying their dues and their debts. It's not that big a deal to live in a studio apartment for a few years. And what's all this talk about "don't go to NY if you want to save as much money as possible"? Saving money is prudent whether you live in NY or Houston. People go to NY to work at top firms. Wanting to save some money while doing so is both normal and advisable.

I didn't mean it isn't prudent to save. I meant that New York isn't the place to live if you're insanely focused on saving as much as possible from your 1L salary. It is really expensive to live here and not easy to save. If that is your goal, you may be very unhappy living here.
But, you know, I've only lived in NYC, so take it for what its worth. I don't know about the ease of saving in other cities, I'm just going by what other people have posted about them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:37 am

Can the NY savvy explain to me what's wrong with this place. You shouldn't be able to find a place this nice in Manhattan for this price right?

http://www.citi-habitats.com/viewlistin ... 4&scroll=1

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can the NY savvy explain to me what's wrong with this place. You shouldn't be able to find a place this nice in Manhattan for this price right?

It's down on 1st Ave, which is far from like everything (except the UN). From there it's 1/2 mile just to get to the subway.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:33 am

Ray, I don't get your obsession with new. Just because an apartment is old doesn't mean it's gross. You know I agree with you that the NYC housing market blows, but you're sounding a little OCD, jabroni.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can the NY savvy explain to me what's wrong with this place. You shouldn't be able to find a place this nice in Manhattan for this price right?

It's down on 1st Ave, which is far from like everything (except the UN). From there it's 1/2 mile just to get to the subway.

Huh. 1st ave is not terribly exciting (at least midtown) but things get much better just one block away on 2nd ave. There is some decent nightlife around 50s st. Definitely a ton of bars. Grand Central station is about 10-15 min walk away from the apartment. I've lived further from a subway station in the city and never had a problem.

Assuming everything else is fine with that place, it looks good to me.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:26 pm

It's not a ridiculous price. 1BR for $2650. You can find similar deals in FiDi too.

The area is fine, but it's mostly office buildings with a few scattered UN housing. Kips Bay, Murray Hill, and Midtown east near the river have some great deals because new yorkers consider the area painfully un-hip. The big downside is that it's half a mile to the subway, up a very substantial hill.

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:50 pm

FWIW, if I had to do it all over again I would've saved money and time by getting a place in walking distance to my office.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:57 pm

itbdvorm wrote:FWIW, if I had to do it all over again I would've saved money and time by getting a place in walking distance to my office.

Go on... I will be in midtown by Rockefeller Plaza next year. Is Hell's Kitchen/Clinton TCR?

mths

Postby mths » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:59 pm

rayiner wrote:

It's not a ridiculous price. 1BR for $2650. You can find similar deals in FiDi too.

The area is fine, but it's mostly office buildings with a few scattered UN housing. Kips Bay, Murray Hill, and Midtown east near the river have some great deals because new yorkers consider the area painfully un-hip. The big downside is that it's half a mile to the subway, up a very substantial hill.

Kips Bay and Murray Hill were MAD expensive when my friends were looking for apts earlier this summer. Much more expensive than the lower east/upper east/upper west

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:02 pm

paratactical wrote:Ray, I don't get your obsession with new. Just because an apartment is old doesn't mean it's gross. You know I agree with you that the NYC housing market blows, but you're sounding a little OCD, jabroni.

I should add that a lot of the NY housing stock is both old and poorly maintained, because the rent controls create very little incentive for developers to maintain and improve apartments. Newer housing tends to have had less time to decay from lack of maintenance.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:06 pm

mths wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Kips Bay and Murray Hill were MAD expensive when my friends were looking for apts earlier this summer. Much more expensive than the lower east/upper east/upper west

Kips Bay/Murray Hill isn't more expensive for comparable places. A place like the one in the Citi-Habitats link, a 1977 mid-rise concierge building with a fitness center, would be way more in pretty much any part of the city, especially in the lower east. It's just that the lower east has a lot of relatively cheap dilapidated walkups which Kips Bay and Murray Hill, being right near the commercial district, don't have.

EDIT: This is a typical example: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3058784170 ... k-NY-10021

$2,900 per month for a 1 BR. Renovated inside, but in a mid-rise without the amenities of the first building.

Eco

Postby Eco » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:32 pm

Seriously, if you're making 160k a year you can live in a nice studio or one bedroom in SoHo or something and be very happy with it. I don't see the problem. Even if rent was $3,000 a month you would still be doing great, still be able to pay loans, still be able to enjoy life.

If I were you, I would get a kick-ass apartment. Why? Because women love nice apartments. And since you're in manhattan you won't be getting a car, so you need something flashy IMO. lolol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:18 pm

surprisingly contentious.

my bk apartment is a no transfer, 30 min commute to midtown--15 to 20 min to downtown--and costs around $1k. I love it and will be really sad to let it go when I leave NYC. it's an amazing deal, and I know I'm very lucky, but it can be done.

Just pay more attention to what subway line you are on than actual distance, because it makes a huge difference in commute. Hire a broker or, even better, find someone (a local law student is a good choice) to sublet and take over a lease from. Housing in NYC is rough but it's hardly going to bankrupt you or make your life miserable if you put some thought and effort into your choices.

mths

Postby mths » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Eco wrote:Seriously, if you're making 160k a year you can live in a nice studio or one bedroom in SoHo or something and be very happy with it. I don't see the problem. Even if rent was $3,000 a month you would still be doing great, still be able to pay loans, still be able to enjoy life.

If I were you, I would get a kick-ass apartment. Why? Because women love nice apartments. And since you're in manhattan you won't be getting a car, so you need something flashy IMO. lolol

Luxury building 1brs won't go for less than 3,300. While that is sickening in and of itself, would you really live in a fucking studio for close to 3k while you're paying 200k+ in loans?

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
itbdvorm wrote:FWIW, if I had to do it all over again I would've saved money and time by getting a place in walking distance to my office.

Go on... I will be in midtown by Rockefeller Plaza next year. Is Hell's Kitchen/Clinton TCR?

Probably

a few of my friends lived here - was nice:

http://luxuryrentalsmanhattan.com/build ... effield-57

Return to “Legal Employment”