NY Associates: Where to live? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
filibuster

Bronze

Re: NY Associates: Where to live?

Post by filibuster » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:23 am

blsingindisguise wrote:
filibuster wrote:I'm renting in Cobble Hill/Boerum Hill area and is amazing, cheap and a 45 minute subway ride to my midtown office
What's "cheap" these days? I thought that area had gotten pretty pricey.
Paying $2,500 a month

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:45 am

For a studio? If so, LJL at the insanity of rent, even in Brooklyn.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Danger Zone wrote:For a studio? If so, LJL at the insanity of rent, even in Brooklyn.
I was looking at studios all over MFH below 42nd and I couldn't find anything that wasn't a legit shit hole for less than about $2,500. Pretty much everything decent started there. So $2,500 for a decent place in Brooklyn doesn't sound off. It's pretty fucked I guess.
Last edited by notgreat on Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:17 pm

notgreat wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:For a studio? If so, LJL at the insanity of rent, even in Brooklyn.
I was looking at studios all over MFH below 42nd and I couldn't find anything that wasn't a legit shit hole for less than about $2,500. Pretty much everything decent started there. It's pretty fucked I guess.
Do you need to be below 42nd?

I saw (and leased one) some pretty nice apartments that were 1 BR's in Hells Kitchen for 2900-3200ish.

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:23 pm

sublime wrote:
notgreat wrote:
I was looking at studios all over MFH below 42nd and I couldn't find anything that wasn't a legit shit hole for less than about $2,500. Pretty much everything decent started there. It's pretty fucked I guess.
Do you need to be below 42nd?

I saw (and leased one) some pretty nice apartments that were 1 BR's in Hells Kitchen for 2900-3200ish.
I'm working downtown and not in midtown. I don't have to be below 42nd, because the trains in this town are pretty damn good for getting downtown during the week. But I prefer lower Manhattan (at least for now while I'm single) and it probably takes several minutes off my commute.

But yeah I'd definitely look at Hells Kitchen if I was working in midtown, especially if it was at Cravath, Skadden, Proskauer, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:32 pm

If you're working in Midtown and want to save money, still lots of affordable Queens neighborhoods along the EFMR line and the 7 line.

somedude

New

Post by somedude » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:48 pm

1st yr associate midtown, live in brooklyn, 30 minute door-to-door commute. if you're a person who thinks he/she belongs in brooklyn / queens, don't let the "oh the hours" "oh it's so far" nonsense stop you...you'll be fine. (if you think that advice sounds stupid, then live close to the office.) my advice is to save money on rent (somehow....roommate(s)/brooklyn/queens) and save the money. if you decide that you're too far from work in year 1 AND after a year you still see yourself working at the firm for several years, then move. but if you're like the majority of people who start on day 1, you will be gone within 3 years. save more money and pay down your loans faster. some people pay $2800ish for rent in year 1....they are effectively borrowing money from their future selves to live in apartments that they will be practically unable to afford for the rest of their lives. don't do it.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:48 am

somedude wrote:1st yr associate midtown, live in brooklyn, 30 minute door-to-door commute. if you're a person who thinks he/she belongs in brooklyn / queens, don't let the "oh the hours" "oh it's so far" nonsense stop you...you'll be fine. (if you think that advice sounds stupid, then live close to the office.) my advice is to save money on rent (somehow....roommate(s)/brooklyn/queens) and save the money. if you decide that you're too far from work in year 1 AND after a year you still see yourself working at the firm for several years, then move. but if you're like the majority of people who start on day 1, you will be gone within 3 years. save more money and pay down your loans faster. some people pay $2800ish for rent in year 1....they are effectively borrowing money from their future selves to live in apartments that they will be practically unable to afford for the rest of their lives. don't do it.
Are you in Greenpoint or somewhere around there?

Frayed Knot

New

Post by Frayed Knot » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:41 am

somedude wrote:1st yr associate midtown, live in brooklyn, 30 minute door-to-door commute. if you're a person who thinks he/she belongs in brooklyn / queens, don't let the "oh the hours" "oh it's so far" nonsense stop you...you'll be fine. (if you think that advice sounds stupid, then live close to the office.) my advice is to save money on rent (somehow....roommate(s)/brooklyn/queens) and save the money. if you decide that you're too far from work in year 1 AND after a year you still see yourself working at the firm for several years, then move. but if you're like the majority of people who start on day 1, you will be gone within 3 years. save more money and pay down your loans faster. some people pay $2800ish for rent in year 1....they are effectively borrowing money from their future selves to live in apartments that they will be practically unable to afford for the rest of their lives. don't do it.
I don't necessarily disagree with this, but to take the other side of this argument: by the time you reach your 3rd year, you'll be making ~$10k/month. So, if spending a little extra on an apartment delays burnout just by a month or two, you can easily come out ahead. And, of course, if being less burnt out helps you land a better exit opportunity, then that will pay off for the rest of your career.

All else being equal, you should save as much as possible. But all else is never equal. So it's up to you to know yourself and know what's going to drive you crazy and what isn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Honestly these days I think in some cases you can get a Manhattan apartment close to biglaw locations for the same or less than an apartment in a nice Brooklyn neighborhood. For example, if you were at Debevoise in Midtown East, you could probably rent in Sutton Place/Turtle Bay and walk to work for about the same rent as Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens. I'd rather live in Brooklyn Heights/Cobble HIll/Carroll Gardens personally, but Sutton Place/Turtle Bay is a pleasant and relatively quiet area with attractive pre-war buildings and waterfront views.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:11 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Honestly these days I think in some cases you can get a Manhattan apartment close to biglaw locations for the same or less than an apartment in a nice Brooklyn neighborhood. For example, if you were at Debevoise in Midtown East, you could probably rent in Sutton Place/Turtle Bay and walk to work for about the same rent as Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens. I'd rather live in Brooklyn Heights/Cobble HIll/Carroll Gardens personally, but Sutton Place/Turtle Bay is a pleasant and relatively quiet area with attractive pre-war buildings and waterfront views.
Yeah this is right. East side of midtown and UES are equivalent or cheaper than brownstone Brooklyn at this point. You'll probably still get a little less space for the money though.

mistman7

New

Post by mistman7 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:52 am

Reviving this thread as people are probably starting to think about what neighborhoods to move to in the fall. I know they've been discussed in the past (but quite a number of years ago) and so I was wondering what the current view was of parts of Brooklyn like Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Fort Greene, Prospect Heights etc. Both in terms of what the character of the neighborhoods are like and also how the commute would actually be to a midtown east firm (google maps says that the trip is around 30 minutes, but I'd be interested to know how accurate that actually is day to day).

Sucreria

New

Post by Sucreria » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Wanted to bump up this thread again. Has anything significantly changed in the NYC apartment market? I'll be working in Midtown, and I'm considering where to live. I've been leaning towards Chelsea because I like the idea of being centrally located, but I've also considered UWS and Hell's Kitchen. Any other suggestions?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:18 am

What do you pay per month at $190?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”