Which NYC firm should I choose?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Fried Frank
54%
Schulte
31%
Winston
13%
Dechert
3%

Total votes: 39

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:33 pm

I am thinking corporate, but I am open to trying litigation as well. In terms of exit options, I want to do public interest afterward (yes I'm aware that this transition is difficult).

Some considerations:

1) FF has wooed me a lot. There is a partner there who really really wants me to come there. I am thinking it would be good to go somewhere where I already have a partner behind me.

2) I am worried about having a thirty to forty minute commute to FF each day. It's long hours to begin with, and adding another hour plus in commuting is a real issue for me, but maybe I should just suck it up? (Moving closer isn't an option)

3) SRZ, Dechert, and Winston are all much better location-wise.

4) I really, really liked the people I met at Winston, but I also liked the people at the other firms.

Oh, and I would appreciate it if you would post your rationale.

Anonymous User

Re: Which NYC firm should I choose?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:54 pm

I'm kind of surprised SRZ is leading. Can you guys say why you voted for it?

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Unless you cannot move even after law school, location shouldn't be a huge factor for your choice of SA firms. At most NYC firms, as a summer you don't need to be in until 9:30am, and most of the time you'll either have events after work (and thus the firm will be paying for car service/taxi home), or you'll be able to leave by 6:30pm at the latest. This obviously changes once you work there full-time, but at that point you can live more conveniently to the office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:13 pm

FF is better known for litigation than corporate based on my research. Their standout practice seems to be real estate (as someone not interested at all in real estate, this made me lean away from FF a little bit). The people I met on my screener and callback were extremely nice, & they projected the impression that while they do work hard, the hours aren't as bad as many other biglaw firms (one person I met said she'd only worked one or two weekends since coming to FF). However, those types of experiences are personal depending on one's group and the partners one works with, so I tried not to take the associates' statements as a guarantee that I'd work fewer hours if I went to FF than I might at another firm. Your comment about the commute to South Ferry is also a valid point to take into account--a rough commute can have a disproportionally negative impact on QOL.

Schulte is best-known for its corporate work; its lit department is nothing to write home about. If you want to do alternative investments, this is probably one of the best firms to go to. Another point in Schulte's favor is that it isn't as highly leveraged as many other NY firms, and PPP are higher than the other three firms. The people I know who received callbacks and offers there seemed to really like it & had a lot of fun at the Schulte events they've attended thus far. I've heard it can be a rough place to work in terms of hours, but I don't know if that's worth taking much into account since your hours at any of these firms aren't going to be ideal (to say the least).

Dechert & Winston Strawn are less worth considering, IMO. I have heard absolutely horrible things about the environment at Dechert from associates with friends there, and also from 3Ls who summered there. However, it has some Chambers Band 1 rankings in corporate practices (M&A, investment funds). You might want to take a look at what people are saying about the firm here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=160245&start=200

Winston Strawn is not doing well in Chicago, which is almost certain to have an impact on its satellite NY office. Even if you liked the people there, it stands out to me as the weakest option of the four.

I voted Schulte in the poll, based on your interests & location. Don't know if any of these firms would give you a significant edge in transitioning to public interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:37 pm

I had a callback with SRZ and I personally hated it, I disliked 3/4 interviewers I had. They also rate extremely poorly in amlaw's midlevel associate satisfaction survey (62nd out of 67 in NY).

That's just me, though. They have a great investment management/hedge fund practice, so if you really want to go in-house at a hedge fund, then maybe you should go there. If you just want general corporate, doesn't seem like a great option to me.

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:41 pm

If you want to go public interest afterward, you need to choose a firm that will support your doing a lot of pro bono work. That's basically the most important consideration.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:32 pm

I guess the tribe has spoken. Anyone have anything bad to say about FF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:FF is better known for litigation than corporate based on my research. Their standout practice seems to be real estate (as someone not interested at all in real estate, this made me lean away from FF a little bit). The people I met on my screener and callback were extremely nice, & they projected the impression that while they do work hard, the hours aren't as bad as many other biglaw firms (one person I met said she'd only worked one or two weekends since coming to FF). However, those types of experiences are personal depending on one's group and the partners one works with, so I tried not to take the associates' statements as a guarantee that I'd work fewer hours if I went to FF than I might at another firm. Your comment about the commute to South Ferry is also a valid point to take into account--a rough commute can have a disproportionally negative impact on QOL.

Schulte is best-known for its corporate work; its lit department is nothing to write home about. If you want to do alternative investments, this is probably one of the best firms to go to. Another point in Schulte's favor is that it isn't as highly leveraged as many other NY firms, and PPP are higher than the other three firms. The people I know who received callbacks and offers there seemed to really like it & had a lot of fun at the Schulte events they've attended thus far. I've heard it can be a rough place to work in terms of hours, but I don't know if that's worth taking much into account since your hours at any of these firms aren't going to be ideal (to say the least).

Dechert & Winston Strawn are less worth considering, IMO. I have heard absolutely horrible things about the environment at Dechert from associates with friends there, and also from 3Ls who summered there. However, it has some Chambers Band 1 rankings in corporate practices (M&A, investment funds). You might want to take a look at what people are saying about the firm here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=160245&start=200

Winston Strawn is not doing well in Chicago, which is almost certain to have an impact on its satellite NY office. Even if you liked the people there, it stands out to me as the weakest option of the four.

I voted Schulte in the poll, based on your interests & location. Don't know if any of these firms would give you a significant edge in transitioning to public interest.

What are you talking about? Last I checked Winston was doing extremely well in Chicago. IMO, Winston is probably the strongest of these firms overall. That being said, within NY, I think Fried Frank is the way to go here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:06 pm

You have an offer from Deschert?

My interview isn't even for another month. Eeks.

Return to “Legal Employment”