Clerking after working at a prosecutor's office

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerking after working at a prosecutor's office

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:35 pm

After receiving exactly no clerkship calls yesterday, I'm focusing my energies on landing a job as an Assistant District Attorney in NYC. Anyone have thoughts or insights into how judges (SDNY/EDNY, mainly) view a candidate who has worked as a prosecutor in their general 'hood? I realize that the DA's work in state court and not SDNY/EDNY. I ask because most non 3L clerks I know were at firms, not DA's offices.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Clerking after working at a prosecutor's office

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:After receiving exactly no clerkship calls yesterday, I'm focusing my energies on landing a job as an Assistant District Attorney in NYC. Anyone have thoughts or insights into how judges (SDNY/EDNY, mainly) view a candidate who has worked as a prosecutor in their general 'hood? I realize that the DA's work in state court and not SDNY/EDNY. I ask because most non 3L clerks I know were at firms, not DA's offices.

Thanks.

I know one person whos done this, and she went from the Manhattan DA to SDNY/EDNY. I think it's very, very rare, and I think she probably could have clerked right out of law school if she wanted to. It's really not a path that's taken often, and requires some combination of high credentials, luck, and a judge who doesn't mind hiring someone a little unusual.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:34 am

Rare, doesn't happen very often.

The creds that get you an ADA gig are not the same as what would be required for a clerkship.

And most judges don't really care about ADAs.
Last edited by anon168 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:39 am

I am going to go against the majority and say it is very possible, provided that you work within the Appeals Bureau of the NYC Office. You may not start out there initially but you can move into that bureau with the right background and demonstrated interest. There you will be given the writing experience that you will make you very competitive for a clerkship. i have seen it done many times.
*ADA in a NYC Office.

Return to “Legal Employment”