white & case vs. clifford chance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

White & Case or Clifford Chance

Poll ended at Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:50 am

White & Case
63%
Clifford Chance
38%

Total votes: 8

Anonymous User

white & case vs. clifford chance

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Interested in international transactional work. Want to practice in nyc. Thoughts?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: white & case vs. clifford chance

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:25 am

Maybe it's just me, but I just got the feeling that White & Case didn't treat their associates very well and had a bit of a sweatshop atmosphere. That being said, CC does have a history of erratic management and layoffs. I think the atmosphere at CC is a bit more laid back, but if you don't mind a bit more intensity, then I'm sure W&C would be great training and experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:21 am

Do you have any other options?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:56 am

White & Case seems like a great opportunity to do some international transactional. I talked to a partner last week who was taking some very junior associates with him to Prague, and then to London, to help close a couple deals. There are a LOT of opportunities to get some really interesting international work in very early on. The work environment has a bad reputation, though. I predict that somebody will come into this thread and say, "OMG my friend worked at White & Case and HATED it and couldn't WAIT to get out!!" and then somebody will reply with, "I worked there this summer and my brother-in-law is a partner and he's nice and this isn't true!!," etc., etc., etc. From what I understand, the morale is getting better there, although still not optimal. Get in the good graces of some of the better partners who are working in a field you want to work in, and you should be good to go.

Also, from what I understand, the exit options out of White & Case tend to be much better than those out of Clifford Chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:58 am

Could someone poast a bit about White & Case's:

Culture // Transactional practices // layoffs/no-offers // bonuses // hours (look, it's NY biglaw but big difference between 2300 & 2900 hrs)

azntwice

Postby azntwice » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:14 pm

Dunno much about white and case, but I think cc is definitely the place to go for international transactional work. They have fully staffed offices around the world, and my banker friends have actually heard of the firm. Plus at cc you get to do the international secondment. Pretty sweet IMO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:52 am

Poster here: No other options in NYC where I want to practice.

Return to “Legal Employment”