A&O vs. Linklaters

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

A&O vs. Linklaters

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:06 pm

The battle of the Magic Circle. I want to do projects, and I love the people at A&O in NYC (I would fit well in their team), but they focus on Latin America, where my focus is in the eastern hemisphere. Meanwhile, a spot in projects at Linklaters (in London) would focus on my area of interest, but I haven't been to the London office and my spot isn't guaranteed. I should also mention that I really want to end up in Europe. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: A&O vs. Linklaters

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The battle of the Magic Circle. I want to do projects, and I love the people at A&O in NYC (I would fit well in their team), but they focus on Latin America, where my focus is in the eastern hemisphere. Meanwhile, a spot in projects at Linklaters (in London) would focus on my area of interest, but I haven't been to the London office and my spot isn't guaranteed. I should also mention that I really want to end up in Europe. Thoughts?

Interesting topic. I am also considering Magic Circle firms. One thing you should ask them is whether they staff US lawyers on projects deals or whether they generally use English law. Most American JDs at these firms do capital markets work in their overseas offices and are not the main players.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:20 pm

Easy, Linklaters (London) bc you want to end up in Europe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:34 pm

I was at A&O last summer and just can't speak highly enough about the firm and the Projects group.

I would share your concern with hiring, they will put you in touch with a projects attorney and shoot you straight.

Return to “Legal Employment”