S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which should I choose?

1. S&C
4
29%
2. WilmerHale
10
71%
 
Total votes: 14

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm interested in litigation. I prefer DC to NYC but I don't want to go to an inferior firm just because of location. I want to pick Wilmer because I'm interested in the DC practice but I'm concerned about giving up an offer from a V3 firm.

Would I be an idiot to choose Wilmer over S&C given my interests?

How different are exit options between the two firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm interested in litigation. I prefer DC to NYC but I don't want to go to an inferior firm just because of location. I want to pick Wilmer because I'm interested in the DC practice but I'm concerned about giving up an offer from a V3 firm.

Would I be an idiot to choose Wilmer over S&C given my interests?

How different are exit options between the two firms?


DC and NYC firms aren't comparable on the same scale. Vault measures the strength of a firm's corporate practice. You're not losing anything by taking Wilmer.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby GeePee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:58 pm

Go to Wilmer. Don't look back. Wilmer is an elite and prestigious DC firm with name recognition, and with your desire for a DC practice you would be a fool to follow vault.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:18 pm

OP here: But what about exit options? Let's say I don't want to work at a firm forever. What sort of exit options would a litigation associate at S&C have over a lit associate at Wilmer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: But what about exit options? Let's say I don't want to work at a firm forever. What sort of exit options would a litigation associate at S&C have over a lit associate at Wilmer?


WilmerHale would have better exits into government.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby GeePee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: But what about exit options? Let's say I don't want to work at a firm forever. What sort of exit options would a litigation associate at S&C have over a lit associate at Wilmer?

None, unless you want to be in NY. But since you said you prefer DC to NY, Wilmer will have (far) better ties to government in DC.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:23 pm

By the way, I really hit it off, as a transfer fresh out of a t35, with my Wilmer OCI interviewer last year; we exchanged a ton of emails about some things he argued in the Supreme Court, law firm hiring, etc. But of course he couldn't actually help me with Wilmer last year. So now after the great grades at my t14, various clerkship interviews, could I write to him and say, hey, remember me, could I somehow sneak into your hiring process? They didn't do 3L OCI at all; others - W&C - did.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby GeePee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:By the way, I really hit it off, as a transfer fresh out of a t35, with my Wilmer OCI interviewer last year; we exchanged a ton of emails about some things he argued in the Supreme Court, law firm hiring, etc. But of course he couldn't actually help me with Wilmer last year. So now after the great grades at my t14, various clerkship interviews, could I write to him and say, hey, remember me, could I somehow sneak into your hiring process? They didn't do 3L OCI at all; others - W&C - did.

wtf is this I don't even

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:29 pm

GeePee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:By the way, I really hit it off, as a transfer fresh out of a t35, with my Wilmer OCI interviewer last year; we exchanged a ton of emails about some things he argued in the Supreme Court, law firm hiring, etc. But of course he couldn't actually help me with Wilmer last year. So now after the great grades at my t14, various clerkship interviews, could I write to him and say, hey, remember me, could I somehow sneak into your hiring process? They didn't do 3L OCI at all; others - W&C - did.

wtf is this I don't even


I don't know, I don't know shit about firms. I'm probably the most academically inclined, uneconomically aware law student you'll ever meet. Or whose typed remarks you'll see, anyway.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:09 pm

GeePee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here: But what about exit options? Let's say I don't want to work at a firm forever. What sort of exit options would a litigation associate at S&C have over a lit associate at Wilmer?

None, unless you want to be in NY. But since you said you prefer DC to NY, Wilmer will have (far) better ties to government in DC.


OP here

What are the exit options for a S&C lit associate in NYC?

I just want to get an idea, cause all I've heard in terms of exit ops in NYC are for corp associates.

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby GeePee » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:33 am

While litigation in-house jobs are rarer than corporate in-house, S&C is actually a good place to grab a lit in-house position because of the investigatory nature of so much of the firm's litigation. Sullivan & Cromwell is not a trial firm by any stretch of the imagination (in fact, some associates comment that the firm really only really has 1 trial lawyer), which means that heavy-courtroom exit options are compromised vis-a-vis peer firms while advisory exit options are strengthened. However, the S&C associates I've spoken with suggest that S&C--->Trial Firm--->Partnership Track/Gov't is fairly common as well and the second firm is a good jumping point into that kind of work, whatever the capacity.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
GeePee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:By the way, I really hit it off, as a transfer fresh out of a t35, with my Wilmer OCI interviewer last year; we exchanged a ton of emails about some things he argued in the Supreme Court, law firm hiring, etc. But of course he couldn't actually help me with Wilmer last year. So now after the great grades at my t14, various clerkship interviews, could I write to him and say, hey, remember me, could I somehow sneak into your hiring process? They didn't do 3L OCI at all; others - W&C - did.

wtf is this I don't even


I don't know, I don't know shit about firms. I'm probably the most academically inclined, uneconomically aware law student you'll ever meet. Or whose typed remarks you'll see, anyway.


I'll bet a $1M I know this anon's TLS identity. :lol:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: S&C (NY) vs. WilmerHale (DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:43 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
GeePee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:By the way, I really hit it off, as a transfer fresh out of a t35, with my Wilmer OCI interviewer last year; we exchanged a ton of emails about some things he argued in the Supreme Court, law firm hiring, etc. But of course he couldn't actually help me with Wilmer last year. So now after the great grades at my t14, various clerkship interviews, could I write to him and say, hey, remember me, could I somehow sneak into your hiring process? They didn't do 3L OCI at all; others - W&C - did.

wtf is this I don't even


I don't know, I don't know shit about firms. I'm probably the most academically inclined, uneconomically aware law student you'll ever meet. Or whose typed remarks you'll see, anyway.


I'll bet a $1M I know this anon's TLS identity. :lol:


Betting $5mil :lol:




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.