Skadden DC v. Kirkland DC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Skadden DC v. Kirkland DC

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:33 pm

May be an academic question at the moment as I am unsure about offers but I think I have a good chance at both and want to test the waters a bit to see what you all think.

I am leaning towards litigation, but am certainly not totally committed to it. (+1 Kirkland)
I want to clerk after school. (prestige boost from either?)
I like the people at both, a little more at KE. (+.25 Kirkland)
I like the amenities better at Skadden--gym, cafeteria, roof. (+1 Skadden)
Better bonuses at Kirkland, at least it seems to be that way. (+1 KE)

Any other input? Generally KE seems to be a bit superior but I wonder how far the Skadden name will take me...

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden DC v. Kirkland DC

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:31 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:44 am

Since you're not deciding on any of the ultra-elite DC firms, you might as well look at the bottom line and see who is going to compensate you better for your time. Kirkland.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:55 am

is there really any ultra elite in DC besides W&C?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:is there really any ultra elite in DC besides W&C?

Covington, Arnold & Porter, Hogan...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:

This is a bit much. I know that this site is prestige whore crazy but to not consider Skadden, and especially Kirkland elite DC firms is pretty ridiculous. Kirkland DC is loaded with top notch people. They have 2 of the recent UVA Supreme Court clerks, and many of their associates have some pretty insane credentials. They are known for getting great general litigation work. Obviously they aren't Williams and Connolly but no one is. I'm not even sure I'd automatically group Hogan as being ahead of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:01 am

so DC HQ = ultra elite?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

now your just making stuff up

I actually spoke to a W&C partner during my callback about what firms they views as peers in DC and he said

Covington and Wilmer

A&P is falling off lately and Hogan fell off after the merger.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Original poster again--

anyone have any read on the two offices mentioned?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I actually spoke to a W&C partner during my callback about what firms they views as peers in DC and he said

Covington and Wilmer

He was being generous. W&C is peerless. And Covington, A&P, Wilmer, Gibson, K&E, and a few others are pretty much on the same level... and then you have Hogan.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Covington and Wilmer

He was being generous. W&C is peerless. And Covington, A&P, Wilmer, Gibson, K&E, and a few others are pretty much on the same level... and then you have Hogan.

Seriously, I'm shocked he said that. W&C's peers are firms like Susman Godrey, Bartlitt Beck, and Munger. They are at the top of the litigation pile period.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:18 pm

ITT a bunch of people post anonymously with little basis in reality.

If you ask people in DC, Hogan is very well respected. And, places like Wilmer, Covington, A&P, GDC (DC) etc. are all certainly peer firms of W&C (regulatory powerhouses or appellate powerhouses to W&C litigation powerhouse) . Y'all realize that DC practice isn't just about litigation, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:35 pm

vamedic03 wrote:ITT a bunch of people post anonymously with little basis in reality.

If you ask people in DC, Hogan is very well respected. And, places like Wilmer, Covington, A&P, GDC (DC) etc. are all certainly peer firms of W&C (regulatory powerhouses or appellate powerhouses to W&C litigation powerhouse) . Y'all realize that DC practice isn't just about litigation, right?

You've got to be kidding. Williams and Connolly being above those other firms is a lot deeper than them just being a lit powerhouse. It's about the cases that they've had, the clients they work with, and their history. For goodness sakes they've got an alum who is a current Supreme Court Justice and they represented Bill Clinton in the Lewinsky scandal. Regulatory work, not that I'm bashing it, just doesn't have that sort of headline making impact. Then there's their payscale, the job security, and the fact that you can probably have any litigation job you want after working there if you choose to leave (people who are hired there, unlike the other firms you mentioned, have a legit shot at making partner one day). And I'm posting anonymously because I've been getting stalker pm's lately from people at my school. It's annoying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Seriously, I'm shocked he said that. W&C's peers are firms like Susman Godrey, Bartlitt Beck, and Munger. They are at the top of the litigation pile period.

So the top lit firms in the country are W&C, Munger, Susman, and Bartlit Beck.

Where do places like Keker and Kellogg Huber rank?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Hogan is a TTT in decline post merger.

OP -- reputation in DC isn't a nice linear ranking. The top-notch practices are spread out over different firms. Covington and Wilmer have really strong regulatory practices, Sidley has the strongest environmental law practice, Gibson has a top notch appellate practice, Kirkland and Latham have strong corporate practices, etc. If, for example, you're not entirely sure about litigation versus corporate, it would be pretty stupid to take Arnold & Porter over Kirkland.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP -- reputation in DC isn't a nice linear ranking. The top-notch practices are spread out over different firms. Covington and Wilmer have really strong regulatory practices, Sidley has the strongest environmental law practice, Gibson has a top notch appellate practice, Kirkland and Latham have strong corporate practices, etc. If, for example, you're not entirely sure about litigation versus corporate, it would be pretty stupid to take Arnold & Porter over Kirkland.

OP here

thanks for the advice, is there any reason to take skadden DC over KE DC? seems like corp practices are about even and KE kills in litigation

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here

thanks for the advice, is there any reason to take skadden DC over KE DC? seems like corp practices are about even and KE kills in litigation

If you dislike the free market system, want the flexibility of transferring offices that Skadden provides, like their specific clients, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”