To All Those With No Mass-Mail Responses Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: To All Those With No Mass-Mail Responses

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you politely ask them to help schedule an interview? Blatantly with thanks/appreciate or do you try to sugar coat it?

Anyhow, thanks for the advice - going for broke tomorrow. It's amazing how much more helpful TLS is than my school's careers office
Just be smooth. Say you are interested in their firm -- wanted to reach out to a fellow alumni. Ask if they have a few minutes to chat about the firm, and attach your resume for their convenience. Let them know you've applied a bit ago but have yet to hear back.

Now the ball is in their court. They know exactly how they can help you, but there is no pressure and it's not awkward.
Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:48 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:10 pm

OP here:

My school has a class size of about 200, so a fairly average-sized law school. Regarding the first sentence, I'm sure that you could rephrase it, but honestly I don't think that its terribly important so long as you are cogent and polite. I ask very directly if the alum could help me schedule an interview. You need help, it isn't time to beat around the bush.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here:

My school has a class size of about 200, so a fairly average-sized law school. Regarding the first sentence, I'm sure that you could rephrase it, but honestly I don't think that its terribly important so long as you are cogent and polite. I ask very directly if the alum could help me schedule an interview. You need help, it isn't time to beat around the bush.
This is a good point. My style (not OP here though, but the one who gave the tip on being "smooth") is more indirect, but given the situation here might be worth taking the bull by the horns. It's a personal preference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do you politely ask them to help schedule an interview? Blatantly with thanks/appreciate or do you try to sugar coat it?

Anyhow, thanks for the advice - going for broke tomorrow. It's amazing how much more helpful TLS is than my school's careers office
Just be smooth. Say you are interested in their firm -- wanted to reach out to a fellow alumni. Ask if they have a few minutes to chat about the firm, and attach your resume for their convenience. Let them know you've applied a bit ago but have yet to hear back.

Now the ball is in their court. They know exactly how they can help you, but there is no pressure and it's not awkward.
What did you put as your subject line? I know it's pretty stupid/neurotic, but for some reason coming up with a good subject line is always one of the more awkward parts about things like this for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What did you put as your subject line? I know it's pretty stupid/neurotic, but for some reason coming up with a good subject line is always one of the more awkward parts about things like this for me.
Short and keyword heavy.

[YOUR LAW SCHOOL] student interested in [LAW FIRM]

EDIT: Better yet:

[YOUR LAW SCHOOL] student application to [LAW FIRM]

Makes it clear you've already applied.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:31 pm

I'd just put "summer associate application" or something of the sort

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd just put "summer associate application" or something of the sort
I would not do this. It is so generic and doesn't leverage the shared school background. These types of emails to a non-recruiting person are a surefire way to go strait into trash or instantly forwarded without being read. Put yourself in the recipients shoes, and ask what is the best way to grab their attention. This type of subject just screams spam and waste of time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Definitely mention your school in the subject line, since that is the only real connection you share, and the reason you are asking this individual in particular to help you out. Be clear that you go to [x] law school, and that you are a student seeking a position

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:39 pm

"You basically enter some words or phrases that you were planning to use in your subject line, then MailChimp will compare it to all subject lines ever used in our system, their resulting open rates, and then tell you how they performed."

http://blog.mailchimp.com/subject-line- ... mailchimp/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd just put "summer associate application" or something of the sort
I would not do this. It is so generic and doesn't leverage the shared school background. These types of emails to a non-recruiting person are a surefire way to go strait into trash or instantly forwarded without being read. Put yourself in the recipients shoes, and ask what is the best way to grab their attention. This type of subject just screams spam and waste of time.
That's what I did (OP) and it worked fine. I think attorneys are generally going to read whatever is sent to their personal e-mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's what I did (OP) and it worked fine. I think attorneys are generally going to read whatever is sent to their personal e-mail.
That it worked for you doesn't = "attorneys are generally going to read whatever is sent to their personal e-mail."

In many cases, it might not make a difference, but one is objectively more of a grabber than the other. You may have just been lucky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:27 pm

I just sent out a bunch of these to pending firms. Will let y'all know if anything comes of it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:59 am

sorry to revive this topic but I'm wondering if it is still a good idea to call/email alumnus if your grades are below average since that seems to put them in a difficult situation? In this case should you just follow up with the recruiter?

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sorry to revive this topic but I'm wondering if it is still a good idea to call/email alumnus if your grades are below average since that seems to put them in a difficult situation? In this case should you just follow up with the recruiter?
tag

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:10 pm

sparty99 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:sorry to revive this topic but I'm wondering if it is still a good idea to call/email alumnus if your grades are below average since that seems to put them in a difficult situation? In this case should you just follow up with the recruiter?
tag
You should still mass mail. You'd be surprised at how much making a good impression can help to overcome grades. I was below median during 1L and I still reached out to alums and many of them at least exchanged a few emails with me and told me what I should know about their firm, gave me interview tips, etc. While all the alums you reach out to may not be willing to pass your resume along to a hiring partner, you only need to find a few alums who are.

MGH1989

Bronze

Post by MGH1989 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:56 am

Is this better than just emailing the recruiting coordinator again?

How long should I wait too? I mass mailed a lot of firms two weeks ago and haven't heard back from a lot of them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”