Email or Call 1L firm re: another offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Email or Call 1L firm re: another offer

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:40 pm

I received a V100 offer that I am going to accept over my 1L firm's offer to return. Should I call or email them? I really liked working there, and want to do everything possible to avoid burning the bridge. ITE I know a 2L SA means nothing for post-grad employment. I know conventional wisdom is to call, but I think I can be a *lot* more eloquent over email and also the MP at the 1L firm is super busy; hates phone calls; prefers emails etc.

What would you do? Do I need to sack up and call?

EDIT: It would be the first phone conversation I've ever had with these guys. We always communicate over email.

EDIT: Does anybody have any anecdotes about when something like this goes terribly wrong? Or are firms usually understanding...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kahechsof

Re: Email or Call 1L firm re: another offer

Postby kahechsof » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:42 pm

I would call.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm going to be doing the same thing. Really liked everyone over there so its going to be tough. I'm going to call the hiring partner personally, then send a thank you email to the attorneys I got close with.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:47 pm

I would call, and when faced with the same situation, I did call.

They'll say something like "we understand, wish we could have had you back,good luck in the future and let me know if I can ever help you with anything."

Also, you don't need to be eloquent...short sweet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:I would call, and when faced with the same situation, I did call.

They'll say something like "we understand, wish we could have had you back,good luck in the future and let me know if I can ever help you with anything."

Do you leave a message if they don't answer?

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:I would call, and when faced with the same situation, I did call.

I would. It's a tough message any way you cut it and there's no plus-side to dragging it out (whereas there is in, say, informing a law student of an offer...that build-up ends in a positive result, not a negative one). Just let them know what it is, say thanks, and that you hold them in high esteem and hope to see them around town in the future.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:05 pm

BeenDidThat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would. It's a tough message any way you cut it and there's no plus-side to dragging it out (whereas there is in, say, informing a law student of an offer...that build-up ends in a positive result, not a negative one). Just let them know what it is, say thanks, and that you hold them in high esteem and hope to see them around town in the future.

I'm a little late to answer op's question, but I'm gonna have to disagree with the above poster. I think you should leave a message, but the message should be "give me a call whenever you get a chance." You don't leave a voice mail message with bad news imo.

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:ITE I know a 2L SA means nothing for post-grad employment.

saaaaaay whaaaaaat

weee

Postby weee » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:17 pm

Is splitting not an option?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:30 pm

weee wrote:Is splitting not an option?

OP here -

Actually, I was going to try spend 4-5 weeks at the 1L firm, surrounding the full 2L program if they'd have me (I think they would). Does that change the answer to my question? Should I just email then?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
weee wrote:Is splitting not an option?

OP here -

Actually, I was going to try spend 4-5 weeks at the 1L firm, surrounding the full 2L program if they'd have me (I think they would). Does that change the answer to my question? Should I just email then?

Phone is the best way. Emails are impersonal. If you want to try to work something out with them, you should talk to someone over the phone. Even if you email, it'll likely end up being a phone conversation anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:28 pm

not to hijack the thread, but on a related note, lets say you are a 3L who is not returning for full-time. whats the best way to break it to them? professional wisdom says to call, except i dont really know who i would call. my offer letter is signed by the hiring partner and director of legal recruiting - i haven't met either so it would be weird to call them. i was given the actual offer letter by my assigned partner mentor - who i also wasn't close to. we just went out the first week for lunch then didn't really see him till my exit review when he gave me an offer. im honestly inclined to just email the person who signed my offer letter (director of legal recruiting).

Return to “Legal Employment”