Skadden Lateralling

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Skadden Lateralling

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm deciding between V5 firms and one of the things that draws me to Skadden, apart from its stellar reputation in the corporate world, is the ability to lateral to a satellite office from the NY HQ.

Assuming I'd like to move to California in a couple years' time, could I have a good shot at lateralling to an office there given I produce great work product at HQ? I'm focused mainly in corporate, particularly M&A. I could alter my preferences a bit if that would help my lateral chances. For example, I would be open to working in Skadden's Technology/Outsourcing department (highly ranked in NY by Chambers) if it would improve my odds.

On a side note: the "sweatshop" reputation Skadden has is greatly overblown. According to NALP, its NY office has 800 attorneys, but its M&A department has an Associate/Partner ratio almost similar to Wachtell's M&A department (2.80 v. 2.56, respectively) with only about 40 more attorneys. The NY office is big, true, but that's because it handles everything.

Anonymous User

Re: Skadden Lateralling

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:10 pm

bump

5ky

Re: Skadden Lateralling

Postby 5ky » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:13 pm

Yeah, because Wachtell's not a sweatshop, good logic.

Return to “Legal Employment”