Tax Court Clerkships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tax Court Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:46 am

How hard is it to attain a Fed tax court clerkship? Are the steps for applying the same as they are for other federal clerkships?

Anonymous User

Re: Tax Court Clerkships

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:34 pm

No one knows anything about tax clerships?

upgrade

Postby upgrade » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:02 pm

I looked into it last year. There doesn't appear to be a standardized process or timeline. What is on the Tax Court's website is pretty much all I could find. You can call chambers to find out if and when a judge plans to hire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:20 pm

upgrade wrote:I looked into it last year. There doesn't appear to be a standardized process or timeline. What is on the Tax Court's website is pretty much all I could find. You can call chambers to find out if and when a judge plans to hire.

Thanks. Any idea how competitive they are for people with LLMs from places like GULC and NYU?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. Any idea how competitive they are for people with LLMs from places like GULC and NYU?

It probably it depends on your law school grades/qualifications and whether you've worked in tax. Tax LLM even at top schools are not super competitive to get into, so I don't think it's easy to generalize based simply on name of school.

You might also consider the Court of Federal Claims if you are interested in tax but do not have the prereqs for Tax Court.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:12 pm

My understanding is that tax court hiring is pretty random. Some of the judges require LLMs before applying, some allow you to work there and get your LLM at GULC at the same time, some don't care about LLMs.

I also know that hiring qualifications are really random. Everything from top 5% at HYS to median at random tier 1 schools. I don't think there is any harm in applying, but even with good grades it seems too unpredictable to have as a plan.

best of luck

Return to “Legal Employment”