If things are silent... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
desertlaw

Silver

If things are silent...

Post by desertlaw » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:09 am

Doesn't it stand to reason that a lot of firms might keep you waiting for a few weeks after a callback if you are in the "maybe" pile? Don't freak out. I got a few offers and 2 of them were 16+ days after callback.

It seems like a ton of people on all the different firm threads keep worrying or trying to compare themselves to other students who got instant offers. Ya, those instant offers go to the kids who nailed the callbacks or go to HYS. If you aren't one of them, just be patient and wait around - especially because not everyone who is given an offer will accept one.

Anonymous User

Re: If things are silent...

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:14 am

desertlaw wrote:Doesn't it stand to reason that a lot of firms might keep you waiting for a few weeks after a callback if you are in the "maybe" pile? Don't freak out. I got a few offers and 2 of them were 16+ days after callback.

It seems like a ton of people on all the different firm threads keep worrying or trying to compare themselves to other students who got instant offers. Ya, those instant offers go to the kids who nailed the callbacks or go to HYS. If you aren't one of them, just be patient and wait around - especially because not everyone who is given an offer will accept one.
same here -- it was going on 4 weeks before I heard back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:21 am

This thread couldn't have come at a better time. I've been going insane because my absolute favorite firm made offers last night to people who had callbacks last week and I didn't get one. I thought I nailed the callback, so I was really depressed all day thinking I'll get rejected. I sincerely hope you're right and my non-HYS status just means I'll be on the waitlist for a while before I hear something... as opposed to "the rejection letter is in the mail."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Doesn't it stand to reason that a lot of firms might keep you waiting for a few weeks after a callback if you are in the "maybe" pile? Don't freak out. I got a few offers and 2 of them were 16+ days after callback.

same here -- it was going on 4 weeks before I heard back.
Do you mind sharing which firm/market?

I had my CBs with two firms over two weeks ago and I heard nothing. I received a rejection from a firm exactly one week after the interview. I'm hoping the lack of a rejection means I'm on a waiting list....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:09 am

Firms with really small summer classes have reason to take their time making offers - they have a very large applicant pool and only a few spots. So if you're still waiting to hear back from a smaller office, don't panic.

Firms with larger summer classes also have reason to keep people waiting. Especially at the mega firms, firms in NYC have given offers to students that will obviously have more offers. These students will weigh all their options and then eventually choose 1 firm (for example, Skadden) out of their 8+ offers. The more often that those 7 firms keep having people choose Skadden instead of them, the more that those 7 firms will have to dig deeper into their applicant pool to fill their summer class.

Firms probably have statistics of past recruiting seasons to prevent them from offering too many/few people. But if you haven't heard from them and it's been a few weeks, just understand that you might be on the back-up list and it could take time until all the LR gunners make their decisions in late September. Plenty of back-ups are called from the bench and succeed. See: Tom Brady, Kurt Warner.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:15 am

A lot of firms this year have instituted a "only _ # of open offers" policy. It means that they will only allow themselves to have a certain number of open offers, as they can't accept the risk of people over subscribing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote: See: Tom Brady, Kurt Warner.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”