WSGR - Big Law?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Engender

WSGR - Big Law?

Postby Engender » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:00 pm

I have a tentative offer to be a student law clerk at a satellite office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati for the rest of the semester. I know the firm does technology and privacy law, both of which I am really interested in. I don't, however, really keep up on firms and their status.

I also don't know a lot about Vault.com. Vault lists WSGR as #50 in the top 100 and #1 in Tech Law. That's good, right? Is that "big law"?

Anonymous User

Re: WSGR - Big Law?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Engender wrote:I have a tentative offer to be a student law clerk at a satellite office of Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati for the rest of the semester. I know the firm does technology and privacy law, both of which I am really interested in. I don't, however, really keep up on firms and their status.

I also don't know a lot about Vault.com. Vault lists WSGR as #50 in the top 100 and #1 in Tech Law. That's good, right? Is that "big law"?

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:06 pm

DAWG. WSGR is the Cravath of high tech. It's an amazing place to work. Very BIGlaw indeed. They did the most IPOs during the boom, and especially in California they are the gold standard for any tech company or startup. Read a little of their history here: http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-backgrou ... on+sonsini

Congratulations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 pm

Yeah, they're definitely the most well-regarded when it comes to venture capital/IPOs, etc. Probably the best known firm in Silicon Valley. That being said, they have a little bit of a "sweatshop" reputation. However, in talking with people, it seems like it really depends on the group you work with.

Go_to_NYU

Postby Go_to_NYU » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:47 pm

I'm under the impression that school-term firm clerkships are not great. Supposedly, you're treated as though they never plan on hiring you for the long haul.

That said, in this economy, it's probably good to give it a shot and boost your resume. Plus the money can't hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:51 pm

Go_to_NYU wrote:I'm under the impression that school-term firm clerkships are not great. Supposedly, you're treated as though they never plan on hiring you for the long haul.

That said, in this economy, it's probably good to give it a shot and boost your resume. Plus the money can't hurt.

Maybe WSGR won't hire a clerk, but plenty of other firms will love that on the resume. Seconded.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe WSGR won't hire a clerk, but plenty of other firms will love that on the resume. Seconded.

I agree with this... at the very least it'll help you during OCI because you can confidently tell firms that you know what Biglaw looks like and you know what you're getting yourself into. That matters a lot, I think.

Return to “Legal Employment”