Re-update firm on offer status?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re-update firm on offer status?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Received a few offers last week, and called to let my top-choice firm know that my 28-day window was running. Received another offer from a relatively highly-ranked (V20) firm that's very similar to my top choice (which is lower in vault). Should I call to update? E-mail instead? Just keep my mouth shut?

Anonymous User

Re: Re-update firm on offer status?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:03 pm

OP....bump for urgency

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:07 pm

It isn't urgent. It will come across poorly no matter how you slice it. The time pressure doesn't change.

The only situation where I'd advise otherwise is if you made a call because the window was almost closed and you got a better choice that * significantly* expanded the window for them. In that case "I still very much want to work for you, but I have received an offer that I prefer over the previous one" -- so they don't feel that they are boxed into giving you an offer. If it's under a week difference and the deadline you told them about isn't *imminent* -- ABSOLUTELY do not wave more offers in front of them...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:15 am

OP. Thanks for the advice - just meant urgent in the sense that I know the hiring committee was meeting tonight. Didn't know exactly what people do in these situations, and glad to know that I made the right call in not calling.

Return to “Legal Employment”