Returning phone call after accepting an offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Returning phone call after accepting an offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi everyone- I have a question regarding returning phone calls from a firm after accepting a summer offer from them. A partner I interviewed with called me to congratulate me on my acceptance, & I missed the call so he left a voicemail. He said I didn't have to return the call, but I do appreciate the gesture & don't want to leave it unacknowledged. Since I know he's busy, I don't want to bother him by calling him. Would it seem awkward to send him an email saying I enjoyed meeting with him & am looking forward to working at the firm next summer even though he said I didn't have to return his call? NYC firm, by the way.

EliHBCU

Re: Returning phone call after accepting an offer?

Postby EliHBCU » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:39 pm

I would call. I understand you not wanting to bother him, but I think it's common courtesy to respond to a communication in the same manner as it was sent. Eg. Returning a phone call. If he's to busy to take it, he'll just send you through to his vm.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:40 pm

I'd probably call. If he preferred email for such communications, he'd have emailed you. If you get his voicemail or secretary, say, "oh, I just wanted to say thanks for his call and that I'm excited to begin this summer." Similarly, if you get him, just keep it sort of short.

First opportunity to build a relationship with a partner. Go gettum.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:46 pm

OP here, thanks for the responses. I'm planning on calling him back as suggested. I'd prefer to return a call with a call (returning a call with an email does seem awkward to me, which is why I made the post), but wasn't sure of the etiquette about interrupting him in the middle of his work day.

anongoodnurse

Postby anongoodnurse » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:01 pm

If it was me, I'd email. You're sure to get him (as opposed to a call, which could be intercepted by a secretary or voicemail), and if he's busy, he can read (and hopefully respond) to your email at his convenience.

Plus, personally, I'm super awkward on the phone. I just can't communicate well without seeing the various body gestures that accompany with a conversation. Email is much preferable in my book.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Return calls with calls. He wasn't too busy to call you; this call will take all of 2 mins of his time, if that.

Riles246

Postby Riles246 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:28 pm

I probably go against the grain on this one but I'd email. After working at an accounting firm for a few years I see how busy partners get and its a good way to get your point across without taking more of his time. Also, you don't run the risk of playing phone tag- if you miss him (which is likely w/r/t partners) and leave a message, then he might call yet again, and god forbid he misses you haha.

Anyway, the summer associate recruiting program is special in that firms are really happy when people accept their offers, so a phone call probably wouldn't bother him anyway.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Grizz wrote:Return calls with calls. He wasn't too busy to call you; this call will take all of 2 mins of his time, if that.

Yeah, but that's like $20 for the frim :P

Top OP: I'd call him because he called you.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:02 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
Grizz wrote:Return calls with calls. He wasn't too busy to call you; this call will take all of 2 mins of his time, if that.

Yeah, but that's like $20 for the frim :P

Top OP: I'd call him because he called you.

You're right. TCR is call him back, but mail him a $20 in an envelope as a thank you and to cover his opportunity cost.

ruski

Postby ruski » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:07 pm

given that the partner said you dont need to call back, i would not call back. hell i probably wouldnt even email unless i thought we established some unique connection (although dropping a quick thank you line might not be a bad idea).

honestly these people are insanely busy with 100 things going on at once. i promise you he is not keeping track whether you call/email him back or not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:16 pm

OP here. I called the partner back, we chatted for literally a minute, & hung up. Didn't send him $20 to compensate him for wasting his time, not sure how that's going to affect our future working relationship. :P

I would have felt rude not acknowledging him at all, and I think a return phone call ended up being the right way to go. Thanks for the responses everyone!

Return to “Legal Employment”