Spouse on Return Visits?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Spouse on Return Visits?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:45 am

I am going to be setting up a return visit to pick between 2 NYC firms. Would it be totally inappropriate to ask that the firm pick up my spouse's train ticket to the city?

Also, what is the timing on these visits? Visit Firm 1 the first day, stay a night and visit Firm 2 the second day? Or do it all in one day?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Spouse on Return Visits?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:24 am

Definitely seems to be appropriate to bring them to post-offer events (receptions, dinners, etc.) in my limited experience (Ropes NY is letting me do this), but I'm not sure about paying for travel or not.

Anonymous User

Re: Spouse on Return Visits?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:31 am

I think not appropriate. Our OCS specifically says firms are not expected to pick up the tab for significant others/spouses. One firm specifically invited my husband and I to dinner and even then I wouldn't ask them to cover his travel. There probably aren't many consequences to pushing it post-offer, but I'd eat the cost of a train ticket over starting at a firm with a bad impression.

Return to “Legal Employment”