DOJ hire from Tier 3, Southwestern/Chapman?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: DOJ hire from Tier 3, Southwestern/Chapman?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:10 am

YourCaptain wrote:check his posting history; kid with a 2.8/164 knows he would be top 25% at Pepperdine/LoyolaLA, so because SW/Chapman are Tier 3s he knows he'll be top 10%.

get real, you're going to incur a lot of nondischargeable debt and graduate with no job and a "classical guitar" major. Not being mean, just being straight with you

LOLOLOL... classic.

First of all, 25% getting 100k+ jobs at Pepperdine? LOL. Second of all, LOLOLOL at you banking on being top 10% at Chapman.

Good freakin luck OP. You aren't working at the DOJ. Sorry boutcha.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:16 am

romothesavior wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:check his posting history; kid with a 2.8/164 knows he would be top 25% at Pepperdine/LoyolaLA, so because SW/Chapman are Tier 3s he knows he'll be top 10%.

get real, you're going to incur a lot of nondischargeable debt and graduate with no job and a "classical guitar" major. Not being mean, just being straight with you

LOLOLOL... classic.

First of all, 25% getting 100k+ jobs at Pepperdine? LOL. Second of all, LOLOLOL at you banking on being top 10% at Chapman.

Good freakin luck OP. You aren't working at the DOJ. Sorry boutcha.

I'm sure he's alright as long as he plans on clerking for Scalia as a fallback if the DOJ doesn't work out.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:02 pm

Oh my god thank you for this. His other thread about Loyola is pure gold.

harocutter

Postby harocutter » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:55 pm

:mrgreen:

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:26 pm

I just want to point out that DOJ hiring has much more to do with resume then school and rank. Top 10% at chapman could get you there, but the doj is only looking at hiring about 80 attorneys this year, so good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:03 pm

drmguy wrote:
keg411 wrote:
drmguy wrote:
harocutter wrote:First of all, thank you for you informative response UCLAtransfer. I was planning on doing option 3) the SLIP program. I'm hoping to do SLIP after 1L and 2L, so that way I can have as much exp. as possible while also showing interest int he department. What do you think, is SLIP hard to get into after 1L?

Ruh-roh...that's weird that you have plans on doing something after 1L yet you are top 10% at the beginning of a school year.

You can't do SLIP after 1L; it's a 2L summer gig. And the application process is over (at least for this summer).

Just make an honest thread and you will get honest results.

Should I go to Southwestern or Chapman planning on either transferring to T10 or graduating #1.

NO. Honestly I question the decision to go to a TTT, period. I can't help but wonder if some hiring committees doubt the judgment and fiscal responsibility of applicants who went to a TTT law school ITE. The legal market is SO saturated that you should think long and hard before paying to attend even a top school.

EDIT: Forgot to add that betting on transferring to a T10 is a HUGE gamble from a school ranked 121st. You'll be competing with top kids from 111 better-ranked schools. Do the math.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
drmguy wrote:
Just make an honest thread and you will get honest results.

Should I go to Southwestern or Chapman planning on either transferring to T10 or graduating #1.

NO. Honestly I question the decision to go to a TTT, period. I can't help but wonder if some hiring committees doubt the judgment and fiscal responsibility of applicants who went to a TTT law school ITE. The legal market is SO saturated that you should think long and hard before paying to attend even a top school.

EDIT: Forgot to add that betting on transferring to a T10 is a HUGE gamble from a school ranked 121st. You'll be competing with top kids from 111 better-ranked schools. Do the math.

I was putting forth the question he would hypothetically pose but good job anyway.

Return to “Legal Employment”