Alston+Bird Financials?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Alston+Bird Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:46 pm

Love the firm, love their strength in my practice area, love the whole king of Atlanta thing (quiet, K&S). However, I vaguely seem to recall someone somewhere saying that they aren't killing it financially, and that the whole doubling their class size thing backfired and resulted in cold offers. Could be that I didn't really hear that and I'm misremembering something. I'm leery of picking them over my other offers for that reason, not to mention the 25k paycut compared to Texas firms and the fact that I'm pretty sure I'm coming off of some kind of hold list because of their very long delay in getting back to me (aka first on the chopping block in the case of moar cold offers next year), but... I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to be in Atlanta. I can make my own decision just fine, but if there's anyone out there who can confirm/deny the cold offer thing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Alston+Bird Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Love the firm, love their strength in my practice area, love the whole king of Atlanta thing (quiet, K&S). However, I vaguely seem to recall someone somewhere saying that they aren't killing it financially, and that the whole doubling their class size thing backfired and resulted in cold offers. Could be that I didn't really hear that and I'm misremembering something. I'm leery of picking them over my other offers for that reason, not to mention the 25k paycut compared to Texas firms and the fact that I'm pretty sure I'm coming off of some kind of hold list because of their very long delay in getting back to me (aka first on the chopping block in the case of moar cold offers next year), but... I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to be in Atlanta. I can make my own decision just fine, but if there's anyone out there who can confirm/deny the cold offer thing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I can't confirm their cold offers, but I can mention a few other things. They are a sweatshop now (by Atlanta standards) and their culture has taken some major hits in the past few years.

Also, your fears of being first on the chopping block are misplaced. Once yall start this summer, you're even again with everyone else and if they do make cold offers, it will be based on interactions from that summer and your work product. Not some faintly remembered halfday set of superficial interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Alston+Bird Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Love the firm, love their strength in my practice area, love the whole king of Atlanta thing (quiet, K&S). However, I vaguely seem to recall someone somewhere saying that they aren't killing it financially, and that the whole doubling their class size thing backfired and resulted in cold offers. Could be that I didn't really hear that and I'm misremembering something. I'm leery of picking them over my other offers for that reason, not to mention the 25k paycut compared to Texas firms and the fact that I'm pretty sure I'm coming off of some kind of hold list because of their very long delay in getting back to me (aka first on the chopping block in the case of moar cold offers next year), but... I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to be in Atlanta. I can make my own decision just fine, but if there's anyone out there who can confirm/deny the cold offer thing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I can't confirm their cold offers, but I can mention a few other things. They are a sweatshop now (by Atlanta standards) and their culture has taken some major hits in the past few years.

Also, your fears of being first on the chopping block are misplaced. Once yall start this summer, you're even again with everyone else and if they do make cold offers, it will be based on interactions from that summer and your work product. Not some faintly remembered halfday set of superficial interviews.
Thanks for the response - everything I've read matches up with what you're saying. I think I can live with those issues if it comes down to it. FWIW, my concern is more a credentials thing than a personality/interview thing. Charm, I have. Top 10% grades or a T14... not so much. I figure that would be part of what would put me near the head of the line for the guillotine, assuming everyone else had a fair amount of charm as well (since they'd have been good enough to pick up an offer).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Alston+Bird Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:41 am

Can anybody confirm this "sweatshop now" allegation? Or have any other information on the cold offer?

Anon b/c I'm interested in this firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Alston+Bird Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anybody confirm this "sweatshop now" allegation? Or have any other information on the cold offer?

Anon b/c I'm interested in this firm.


I know someone who works there now. They work 12 hours days consistently. They don't normally come in on weekends. I' m not sure if you consider that sweatshop or not.


You said you weren't top 10 percent or a top 14; what were your stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Alston+Bird Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anybody confirm this "sweatshop now" allegation? Or have any other information on the cold offer?

Anon b/c I'm interested in this firm.


I know someone who works there now. They work 12 hours days consistently. They don't normally come in on weekends. I' m not sure if you consider that sweatshop or not.


You said you weren't top 10 percent or a top 14; what were your stats?
Not the anon above, but I am OP. I'd rather not say, I'm fairly easily to out and skittish when asking this kind of question. Sorry. Suffice it to say that my stats say that I should be on the cusp of not getting any Biglaw at all, but I interview well and my background definitely helps me and so I'm swimming in callbacks and such.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Alston+Bird Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:26 pm

A&B is very clear from the outset that that they have space in their firm for everyone who summers. The cold offers (though my impression is that they were actually no offers) you mentioned were not because of a lack of space but rather because of serious work product issues and other egregious mistakes that were made. So, focus on turning in good work and avoiding major faux pas and you will be fine.

A&B is also slower than many firms in its interviewing timeline. At my school, it took nearly 2 weeks for them to extend CBs from OCI. CSO confirmed their pace and warned us to be patient. Therefore, the wait likely has nothing to do with how you stack up with the other students with offers. Even if it did, your work product and personality will determine whether you get an offer, not your interviews or grades.

Re. finances, people who have seen the balance sheet have confirmed that the firm had its best year to date last year. It's therefore weathered this economy well. A&B is reportedly also very transparent with the summers and will show you the balance sheet and explain the nitty gritty, just as they do with associates and partners.

HTH.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Alston+Bird Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A&B is very clear from the outset that that they have space in their firm for everyone who summers. The cold offers (though my impression is that they were actually no offers) you mentioned were not because of a lack of space but rather because of serious work product issues and other egregious mistakes that were made. So, focus on turning in good work and avoiding major faux pas and you will be fine.

A&B is also slower than many firms in its interviewing timeline. At my school, it took nearly 2 weeks for them to extend CBs from OCI. CSO confirmed their pace and warned us to be patient. Therefore, the wait likely has nothing to do with how you stack up with the other students with offers. Even if it did, your work product and personality will determine whether you get an offer, not your interviews or grades.

Re. finances, people who have seen the balance sheet have confirmed that the firm had its best year to date last year. It's therefore weathered this economy well. A&B is reportedly also very transparent with the summers and will show you the balance sheet and explain the nitty gritty, just as they do with associates and partners.

HTH.
Sweet, makes perfect sense. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Couldn't remember if the non-offers were of the cold- or no- variety, posed the question in terms of cold because I figured that would be the way they'd go if finance was the reason. Consider me H'd.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Alston+Bird Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Anon who confirmed the no offers:

Re. the sweatshop aspect of A&B, tell me a big law firm in any market that is not requiring lots of work. The nature of the economy right now is at least partially to blame. Certain practice groups are exceedingly busy, but weekends in the office are not too common. Those who work weekends consistently are typically those who prefer to be out of the office between 6-6:30 every day and need the weekend to make sure they meet their hours.

I heard the following that really struck me about A&B's culture: An associate is engaged to a lawyer in New York. They try to see each other once a month. Because of their long distance relationship, A&B, and the practice group in particular, ensure to the extent possible that this associate is not contacted by anyone in the firm on those weekends that they see each other. A&B is also trying their very best to find the fiance a position either at the firm or in another ATL firm so that the associate can stay at A&B after getting married. Perhaps some of this is a function of how good (s)he is at his/her job, but these kinds of accommodations strike me as going over and above the call of duty, especially in this economy.

Tl;dr: yes, the hours can be long, but the firm really values work/life balance as much as possible and will do what it can to help you manage your relationships with your family/friends.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273107
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Alston+Bird Financials?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:48 pm

anybody have insight on their NYC office? had callback with them and really liked the people.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.