Held in purgatory

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Held in purgatory

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:39 pm

25 OCIs, 5 cbs, 8 dings. Still have 12 firms which haven't said a word--am I being held in callback purgatory? Don't know if market matters, but I'm looking primarily at top California biglaw firms.

Is it typical for firms to extend cbs to second/third/etc. "waves" of applicants? i.e., assume firm X's first wave doesn't yield an accepted offer. Will X reach out to other applicants who haven't been rejected?

Anonymous User

Re: Held in purgatory

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:28 am

Bump. 162 views but no responses? Le sigh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:00 am

No one knows the answer to this. Generally, if other people who interviewed with your interviewer have heard then it isn't good news. But California in general takes longer, so if no one has heard from those places (and that specific interviewer) be patient. Beyond that each firm is really different. It isn't over until you get the ding but I'd focus on the callbacks you do have.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:43 am

E-mail your interviewers and express interest in the firms that you are waiting for again. If you have other interviews to leverage -- even better.

However, keep in mind that you have 5 CB's and you should get at least one offer from those -- so don't do this if you really aren't still interested in working at the any of the firms you are waiting to hear from. (And there's a chance this does nothing, but it certainly can't hurt).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:13 am

Great, thanks for the helpful responses guys. I will email the 3-4 firms which I would consider working for over my current cb firms and re-express my interest.

Return to “Legal Employment”