Accept the callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accept the callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Got a callback from a firm in a region where I'm not sure if I want to be there. I have callbacks with other firms in another region where I prefer to be, but I've only actually gone on 1 CB so far (and haven't heard the results from it). If I got an offer from any of the "home-region" firms, I would (with 95% certainty) accept them over the out-of-region firm. The firm has offered to fly me in for interviews, so is it worth going since I don't have a job offer yet (even though I don't know whether I would accept even if this firm offered me)?

kahechsof

Re: Accept the callback?

Postby kahechsof » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm

A. If it was your only offer, would you consider it?
B. Are you absolutely sure it won't be your only offer?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:15 pm

It continues to amaze me how the availability of a resource like TLS can completely debilitate an otherwise intelligent person's ability to make decisions.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:20 pm

RVP11 wrote:It continues to amaze me how the availability of a resource like TLS can completely debilitate an otherwise intelligent person's ability to make decisions.

Glock

Postby Glock » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Schedule it. Cancel when you get a better offer.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Not going on job interviews when you don't have a job offer is a solid strategy. There needs to be more level headed people like you on TLS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:30 pm

kahechsof wrote:A. If it was your only offer, would you consider it?
B. Are you absolutely sure it won't be your only offer?

A: I would probably consider it, but I really don't know if I would accept even if it were my option.

B: I've already got other (~15) CB offers if that's what you mean. If you mean job offers, this firm hasn't actually offered me a job yet -- just a CB.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:35 pm

Grizz wrote:Not going on job interviews when you don't have a job offer is a solid strategy. There needs to be more level headed people like you on TLS.

Think of it like this. The region where I want to be is where I've always lived, and I don't really have any desire to leave the region. If I get an offer, I'd probably consider it, but, for me, it's like going from Hawaii to Alaska -- meaning it's probably a move that I'll make only if it's my only option. Sure, it's a nice backup if I even get an offer, but I don't know that it's worth my time to go since its number 14 or 15 out of 15 as a backup firm.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Grizz wrote:Not going on job interviews when you don't have a job offer is a solid strategy. There needs to be more level headed people like you on TLS.

Think of it like this. The region where I want to be is where I've always lived, and I don't really have any desire to leave the region. If I get an offer, I'd probably consider it, but, for me, it's like going from Hawaii to Alaska -- meaning it's probably a move that I'll make only if it's my only option. Sure, it's a nice backup if I even get an offer, but I don't know that it's worth my time to go since its number 14 or 15 out of 15 as a backup firm.

I know someone where it took him 15 CBs to get one offer. Go on all CBs until you have an offer.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:35 pm

Just schedule it for like September 25th, and cancel it if you get any offer before then.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Sup Kid wrote:Just schedule it for like September 25th, and cancel it if you get any offer before then.

That's actually pretty close to when it is. All of my other callbacks are before then, but I doubt any of them will actually give me an offer before then. The problem with that is that the firm will be booking the airline tickets in the next couple of days. Is it fairly common to back out even after the tickets have been booked?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:Just schedule it for like September 25th, and cancel it if you get any offer before then.

That's actually pretty close to when it is. All of my other callbacks are before then, but I doubt any of them will actually give me an offer before then. The problem with that is that the firm will be booking the airline tickets in the next couple of days. Is it fairly common to back out even after the tickets have been booked?

Yes. I canceled my call back after the ticket was already booked. Many firms seem to book full fare refundable tickets. furthermore, if you have to cancel, you should not feel bad about the cost of the airfare. That's life. Remember, these firms are not living on a student's budget. They are just fine losing an airline ticket if it means not wasting time meeting with someone that wont accept a job offer.

I say, schedule every call back you can until you have an offer.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:22 pm

Yes. I canceled my call back after the ticket was already booked. Many firms seem to book full fare refundable tickets. furthermore, if you have to cancel, you should not feel bad about the cost of the airfare. That's life. Remember, these firms are not living on a student's budget. They are just fine losing an airline ticket if it means not wasting time meeting with someone that wont accept a job offer.

Yeah, the aggregate cost of the partner time you will use far exceeds whatever the plane ticket cost.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:59 pm

On a similar note, what's the protocol for withdrawing from a callback if you simply decide you've got better opportunities even though you haven't yet accepted one of the other offers? Just tell the firm that you have better options?

kahechsof

Postby kahechsof » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a similar note, what's the protocol for withdrawing from a callback if you simply decide you've got better opportunities even though you haven't yet accepted one of the other offers? Just tell the firm that you have better options?

No, just tell them that you are cancelling the callback. They know why.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:03 pm

kahechsof wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On a similar note, what's the protocol for withdrawing from a callback if you simply decide you've got better opportunities even though you haven't yet accepted one of the other offers? Just tell the firm that you have better options?

No, just tell them that you are cancelling the callback. They know why.

So you don't give them any reason at all? Just say "Thanks for the opportunity, but I've decided to cancel"?

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:04 pm

I think the smart thing to do is to schedule it last and go only if you never get a cb from the other 14...or else cancel. I'd personally not go, but that is really just me (and I think on TLS I am alone on this).

Element

Postby Element » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:05 am

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I know someone where it took him 15 CBs to get one offer. Go on all CBs until you have an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:33 am

DoubleChecks wrote:I think the smart thing to do is to schedule it last and go only if you never get a cb from the other 14...or else cancel. I'd personally not go, but that is really just me (and I think on TLS I am alone on this).

Went with this and cancelled, so you're not the only one on TLS with that thought. I decided that, even if it was my only offer, I probably wouldn't accept it. I figured there was no use in wasting their time or mine.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:I think the smart thing to do is to schedule it last and go only if you never get a cb from the other 14...or else cancel. I'd personally not go, but that is really just me (and I think on TLS I am alone on this).

Went with this and cancelled, so you're not the only one on TLS with that thought. I decided that, even if it was my only offer, I probably wouldn't accept it. I figured there was no use in wasting their time or mine.

My sentiments exactly. But I can totally see why, esp. given the economic climate, why playing it safer is certainly the smart thing to do here. I guess I am (and dare I say we are) just a bit dumb at times :P

Return to “Legal Employment”